Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:20pm - Nov 30,17 
Hey everyone,

Hope everyone is having a safe hunting season! I had a few questions on sighting in a scope. Here is my issue. I shoot a Remington 870 express pump with a Nikon slug hunter BDC 200 scope. Normally my setup is pretty sweet! I noticed during last gun season that my shots were extremely low. So I went to a 25 yard range to see what's going on and it was in fact very low... I always shoot hornaday sst 2 3/4 300 grain bullets and never had any issues.

On the scope you have an up (U) & down (D), I always thought that if you were low you click it in the direction of UP. I know a click is 1/4". A few of my friends told me that for U or D on a scope, you are raising the crosshairs on the scope and that you need to chase your shot so if you are low you go down on the crosshairs rather than up.

On a 25 yard target, I am consistently low 3" and that's with my scope clicked all the way in the UP position. I did try the theory of clicking down, and it was working until I made about 100 clicks and the shots fell off the map... I am not sure what's going on or if my scope is now bad. It's been on/off that gun for the past 7 years. Any suggestions, besides buying a new scope or shot with iron sights haha.

Bloodsweatscales

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59pm - Nov 30,17 
Personally I would either take my scope off and reattach it making sure everything is tight or try a different slug. Slugs act different out of different guns. Also, are you using a cantilever?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:02pm - Nov 30,17 
Very easy to sight in if you have a stable rest. Bore sight first if you can. Then take one shot at the bullseye from the rest. Take your time and slowly squeeze the trigger. Next again hold on the bullseye while your partner turns horizontal/vertical adjustments until the crosshairs move from the bullseye to where your first shot hit. You should now be hitting where the scope is pointing. Take another shot and you should be very close to dead on. Which barrel are you using with the 870?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30am - Dec 1,17 
If your shooting a set up that has worked for you and now it isn't I would lean towards the scope is bad. 1/4 inch movements are at 100yards. Like BB said I would first try to take off the scope then reattach making sure all is tight then try again. What barrel do you have? Is it a cantilever barrel. All remingtons will shoot better using a cantilever scope barrel. Remington barrels have a sloppy fit So the only true sight picture comes from the barrel on remingtons. I still have a 20 with a hastings cantilever barrel that shoots lightfields like a tac driver.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:54am - Dec 1,17 
" take off the scope then reattach making sure all is tight then try again. "

I second that. The last time this occurred to me the scope was walking forward off its original
mounting position.

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:16pm - Dec 1,17 
Forgot to mention, use the manufactures suggested torque settings on the screws and a dab of blue Loctite.
No more scope mounts walking away from the initial mounting point.

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:33am - Dec 4,17 
thanks everyone for the replies. I will remount the scope and give that a try. Yes, I do use a cantilever mount.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: