Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26pm - Aug 7,17 
My nephew bought a new 870 about a year ago.Basic model in the parkerized finish.Functioned fine but had problems with surface rust on barrel. He Sold it and bought another shotgun.Stated he did his homework and that Remington got bought out.With the buyout, many are saying the Remington is know the Rustington !!!
Anyone else here about this?
Thanks-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:43pm - Aug 8,17 
I havent heard of this but my 870 also has some rust on the barrel. Have to make sure to keep oil on it

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Aug 8,17 
It was sold to an investment group and went downhill from there. IMO anytime you take a good company and sell a major stake to an investment group it is headed to trouble. They no longer care about the product, just the money.

I bought my 870 as a teenager in 1995. I've probably walked 1000 miles with that gun on my shoulder. Still love it and it hasnt failed me yet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:36pm - Aug 8,17 
There is more to this than "Is the quality poor because XYZ?"

There are some 20 or 25 different variants of the 870, barrel finishing is a big part of this.

The cheap "KMart" parkerized model is 1/2 the cost of a Wingmaster or a Marine Magnum. So can you expect issues? I would think so.

I am not a huge Remington fan but I own several of their firearms. Some of the older stuff does have better quality control, but that goes for most products.

The "cheap" or basic version is marketed against the king of throw away shotguns, the Mossberg 500.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34pm - Aug 8,17 
I believe Remington shotguns are great shooter guns. Mine does not have much or any rust but I generally wipe it down after every use. I hope their quality stays the same with the buyout.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Aug 9,17 
Only issues I've had with surface rust on my 870 is when I put it in a case wet and leave it for a few days between hunts instead of wiping it down and putting it in the safe. A simple cleaning takes care of that. For $250-330, I don't think you can get a better shotgun (brand new). Just stay on top of cleaning it and making sure any moisture/condensation is wiped off before storing it.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:38pm - Aug 28,17 
I have WAY OLD ,, 870 Wingmaster ,and a Rem. 742 @ 30-06 ,, STILL my Go To guns ,,,, LACK of cleaning / oiling ANY GUN ,,,,, Leads to rusting ,,,,, I don't care what Brand / Model it is ,,,

Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Aug 31,17 
I have a remington 870 also, and also heard about rust issues but mine never did rust. I actually ended up dipping the entire gun, both barrels, and the scope in a Kyrptec Camo pattern. Looks sweet now.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: