Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24pm - Nov 20,19 
GOOD LUCK to ALL that can make it out . PLEASE be safe out there . REMEMBER to look PAST your shot , for what's out there ....

GOOD LUCK and SAFE TRIPS ,, Walldady , >>####------ ))-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:30am - Nov 21,19 
This is what a lot of people have been waiting for, the gun season tradition. Good luck to all! I shot a good buck my first day bow hunting so I really have not been out much because I did not want to miss out on a big buck during gun season. So I guess my season starts now for a second deer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:54am - Nov 21,19 
I’ll be on public in west central Illinois for the gun season. Saw some studs at the same site during bow season but nothing close enough for a shot. Hoping one of those monsters comes within gun range. Good luck everybody and have fun.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:11am - Nov 21,19 
Good luck and safe travels all. A wall hanger would be nice, but the main goal for us to to replenish the freezer.

:sgt

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:40pm - Nov 21,19 
My daughter is my best fishin partner . The Fish Magnet . When I go out , either fishin or hunting , she always says . “ Bag one Dad, big is a bonus “ .

She is SO COOL .

GOOD LUCK AND SAFE TRIPS ,,, Walldady >>###——— ))-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:37pm - Nov 25,19 
Well, how did everyone do? We did ok my brother got a nice 8 pointer while my uncle took a small 7 pointer. We didn’t see any monster and we all could have taken deer but we were waiting for the right one.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Nov 25,19 
Had a very short season. Shot a nice 8 pt at 7:10 am opening morning in Pope county. He fell for a decoy and Primos waggin whitetail motion tail.Didn't see him until I hit the tail twice, looked in a different direction and then looked back. He had walked out of the woods and was pawing the ground. As he was approaching the decoy I stopped him and put a 20 ga accutip thru his lungs. He ran about 100 yds and wound up in a creek. Being processed now.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:40am - Nov 26,19 
I drew permits for Moraine Hills and hunted my favorite zone and was able to harvest a young 8 point.
Deer came in 2 minutes after shooting light and gave me a 20 yard shot. He ran 20 yards behind my stand and dropped. Two years ago I had the same situation in the same spot and the deer dropped but 10 minutes later got up and ran and I never found him. So when this deer dropped I put another one right through the heart for good measure.
I checked him in and dropped him off for processing and sat in the stand all day without seeing anything else. I have enough meat so now I am hoping to find some areas to bowhunt or maybe get a spot for second season so I can get one for the wall.
I was able to share part of the experience with my son as he attended the mandatory meeting with me and then helped me set my stand. Unfortunately they don't allow anyone but the hunter in the field for hunting so I couldn't take him with but he got to experience part of it. Pretty soon he will be showing my how it is done.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:59am - Nov 26,19 
For the FIRST TIME in my hunting career , I tagged out . After not seeing much in the bow season , I decided , If its brown , its down . I took a doe on Fri. afternoon . Sat. Morn. . about 9:30 , an 8 pt. Came charging out of our woods . He was heading for the next property . I had , 10 - 15 sec. TOPS to make a shot . BOOM .He ran about 30 yrds and piled up , in site . WOW . Now I have plenty of meat . Last yr. I got SKUNKED . I was Hungry .

Good Luck And Safe Trips ,,,, Walldady. , >>###—————. ))-

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:24pm - Nov 26,19 
Cory wrote:
I drew permits for Moraine Hills and hunted my favorite zone and was able to harvest a young 8 point.
Deer came in 2 minutes after shooting light and gave me a 20 yard shot. He ran 20 yards behind my stand and dropped. Two years ago I had the same situation in the same spot and the deer dropped but 10 minutes later got up and ran and I never found him. So when this deer dropped I put another one right through the heart for good measure.
I checked him in and dropped him off for processing and sat in the stand all day without seeing anything else. I have enough meat so now I am hoping to find some areas to bowhunt or maybe get a spot for second season so I can get one for the wall.
I was able to share part of the experience with my son as he attended the mandatory meeting with me and then helped me set my stand. Unfortunately they don't allow anyone but the hunter in the field for hunting so I couldn't take him with but he got to experience part of it. Pretty soon he will be showing my how it is done.

That's awesome Cory!!!! Starting them young is such a bonus. It only gets better as they get older.

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:53pm - Nov 26,19 
For a rare change, all the boys were able to make it back from school to hunt, with a couple only being able to make into camp Friday night. We had 5 people hunting the farm on Friday, with plenty of deer seen, but most young and small. A few decent bucks were around but nothing that presented a quality shot. Saturday and Sunday we had a full crew of 8 people hunting the 245 acres we have available to us. Lots of movement both days, but Sunday morning proved to be the time to pull the trigger. AJ took a doe, while Tommy took a decent body fork. One of the other youngsters took a fork, and a coyote that came after his downed deer. Nothing huge, but the weather was great, and the company even better.

While we didn't see a lot of big deer, it was nice to see that the number seem up. There was a lot more movement and sign than the last 4 years combined.

Thankful to have fresh meat for the freezer.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:44pm - Nov 26,19 
I managed a doe on public land in west central Illinois Friday morning. It was the only deer I saw during the weekend. Better then the big skunk.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:29pm - Nov 26,19 
my group took a doe and nice 10pt. butchered them up yesterday so we are good for a bit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:23am - Nov 27,19 
I was fortunate to be able to take a spike buck, not a huge trophy rack wise but TROPHY in my book.
I hunt some public land out west aways, and for some reason alot of tag/permit holders didn't show up for opening day. Me and my brother were able to get on to the property and be in our spots by 630.
I have hunted this pcs of public land for many many years. I have come close to killing deer with he bow and the gun but never got it done.
Was in my tree all settled in for a long day,decided to have a snack as I was reaching for peanuts I saw some movement, two deer about 100yards. Pulled my face mask on and raised the gun. Saw one of the deer walk away from me DAM I though that's the only deer I'm gonna see all day as previous years that was the case.
Few minutes later caught movement to my right look down here is a nice spike buck coming right at me. He turns 10yards from my stand and I let one ring I MISSED just grazed his back, deer takes off I bahhh and he stops 25yrd away BOOM perfect shoulder shot he drops immediately. This was my first deer on this pcs of public land and it was a buck!!!!
. What an awesome feeling to finally get it done!! He is probably my most special deer I have harvested and I have a few on the wall.
I got down and said my prayers for his soul and got very emotional knowing this was 10years coming yes 10years hunting this pcs of public and this was my first harvest!
He is now at the butcher being made into ground that will feed my family for quit a few dinners!
Thank you for reading
Jay
(New phone can't get picture to load can someone help)

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:05pm - Nov 27,19 
Here is Colddriver's buck.......

Congrats!!!!

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:36pm - Dec 2,19 
Congrats to all the successful hunters! Great to see some deer falling.

Cory, great to hear about a Moraine Hills buck, I now live a little farther north and when I'm within about 15 minutes of there I'll drive through and see what the terrain is like. Seems like gun season is pretty successful there, must be a fair amount of deer. Nice to see you can set up your stand before you hunt as well, that has to help!

Gun season really didn't produce many deer sightings for me. Open day I the back end of a fawn and a spike and that was it, probably the slowest opening day I've had in a long time. Second day was pretty similar, as well, a 3 point, 4 point and an 8 point but nothing worth shooting. Did miss a running coyote though, still a bit mad about that.

Overall, bow and gun season were pretty slow since the corn is still in on the two farms bordering us and the farmer didn't even get crops in on our farm this year. Did pass a decent 130" 11 pointer at 4 yards. He gave me three opportunities to shoot on one of my PM bow hunts but just wasn't what I was looking for. My father did get a buck and a buddy gave me a doe that he didn't want so the freezer is full. Maybe head out to the Chain for a pheasant hunt in the next week or two before a trip to warmer climates for Christmas. Good luck to those making it out second season!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:00pm - Dec 3,19 
Dam big b, passed on an 11pointer haha what are you looking for?
J/k I know there are some big bucks where your at, I have not been down to my 2500acres in a few years due to growing family 3month old and a 3yr old .but the guys down at camp had about the same results as you first season. I will not be out second season so good luck to all that do make it out!
I will be hunting public land muzzleloader season out west Il.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: