Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:12pm - Nov 28,18 
Safe travels and good hunting. Looks like it is going to be wet.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24am - Nov 30,18 
Good Luck to those making it out. I unfortunately won't be making it out, I'm pretty set for meat and I think I used up all my time away during the rut. I hate to say it but Im hoping for rain over where I hunt. Our neighbors shoot anything that moves during second season. 5 of them hunting 25 acres of woods and anything that moves gets shot. If 10 deer walk out, 10 deer will get shot at and usually they wound and don't find 30% of their deer. Last year during first season we had to shoot a doe that made it 250 yards after they shot it in the hindquarter and they shot a really nice 10 that lived about 5 days before the coyotes got him.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04pm - Dec 2,18 
Our first season was pretty good and everyone could have shot a deer but we held off for bigger bucks. My brother shot a good 8 pointer and my dad missed on a nice 10 pointer. Our 2nd season was slow. We saw 3 deer in 2 days. The weather was a little warmer than first season but overall a successful season.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:42pm - Dec 4,18 

That's a beauty for sure. :allah

We had 5 hunter hit the woods for second season, and we saw probably 10 deer between all of us. Weather was no doubt a factor this weekend. We only had two of us out on Friday, and that was the best day to hunt. Saw 6 deer, but we were passing on all does. Friday things warmed up to the 60's and Saturday we had rain, and a tornado 3 miles from the farm. With limited sightings, we only hunted Sunday morning until about 10:30, as the boys had a 61/2 hour drive back to school.

1st season has given us hope that the herd is making a comeback. It was tough to pass on the does, but it is what is needed to truly bring our quality back to the farm. Only having the buck from AJ this year, we are going to have to make more surf than turf for meals this year. :oops: Going to be more salmon than venison this year, with late season being cancelled in Pike county.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:49pm - Dec 4,18 
It sounds like Friday was really the only good day to be out. I'll be curious to see what the harvest numbers look like for second season. I know a lot of people were in the woods when the tornados hit on Saturday, I have a feeling that the Saturday numbers will be really low but in the long run probably help the deer population.

Overall we saw a lot of deer this year and my 20 or so cameras were super active. I still have about 7 that I didn't check throughout the season and I'll be curious to see what they have on them. We had a lot of does on there but during the rut, they do a good job of finding spots where the young bucks can't find them as easy. Also of the four bucks we took, two bucks we never had on camera before and I'd say 10 of the 2.5 year olds and above we regularly have on camera made it or at most the neighbors got one. Plus, first year I can ever remember we didn't take one doe when usually we get 5 or so. We never were really hit by the EHD 5 or so years ago but did have a couple years where the neighbors killed a lot of deer. I think with the lack of does being taken this year, number will really jump if we have a mild winter.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Dec 6,18 
AJ's deer provided more meat than I anticipated.

Always thankful for what that 260 acre farm provides. The grill on S-2 will be kept busy this year. :bbq

Tom

Twin Fins

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: