Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:08am - Nov 16,17 
Good luck to those who are heading out this gun season. Weather looks interesting but the deer have to move and eat. Rut seems to be going pretty good so there's potential to be a great year. Let's hear the updates.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:10am - Nov 16,17 
Good Luck to everyone! I killed a nice mature buck last Friday at the farm I hunt (when I have time, I'll post the story) but I'm heading back down to C. Illinois here in a few hours for gun season. Hunted all last week, Sunday to Friday and we didnt see any signs of the rut until Thursday PM. Shot my buck somewhat chasing a doe and there were a couple small ones behind him. It was the same for everyone in that area, non-existent rut until last Friday. No chasing, bucks still in bachelor groups, fawns (both doe and bucks) with momma but that has all changed. They should be in the swing of things now. Neighbor shot a 180" 11 point mid week so I think gun season will be a good one if the weather holds off. Friday doesnt look too bad, Saturday AM looks like it might be a wash (95% chance of rain at 10A for us) but when that rain stops early Saturday afternoon it should be really good. Only two or three bucks I have my eye on now that I got a good one at the taxidermist and I filled my doe tag as well.

Good Luck to everyone, stay safe and have fun!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:57pm - Nov 16,17 
Good luck.all. Restless night for many filled with the anxiety of a child the night before Christmas. Personally I need to atone for a faux pas in literally the last 2 minutes of shooting today. I successfully called a buck off a doe from 150 yds.across a picked corn field. At 40 yards it's my last chance to employe concealment to draw. So I do. While tracking a super 10 point at full draw, I'm from left to right he manages to come another 5+ yards closer still moving left to right, I rake my upper limb on the canopy above just enough to startle the b buck and off he goes. Ggggrrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!! First time I've ever bow hunted this stand. Forgot to check overhead clearances. 0615 hrs can't come soon enough for need to put that behind me. I still would like to take a mature male with the bow but our cameras have us all optimistic.
Good luck and safe hunting. I hope you all get your chances to make up for some past hunting errors. We've all made them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:33pm - Nov 27,17 
Well I'll be headed back out Thursday and Friday. Opening weekend was no good for me. I sat overlooking a winter wheat field which the deer have been hitting pretty good but nothing walked through the field all of Friday. Saturday's weather was poor to say the least. Warm and windy. The rain came at 11:00 and ended our 1st season because Sunday I had to work. Who else is headed out this week?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:21pm - Nov 27,17 
i didnt see a deer on opening morning. that occurrence lead to me shooting a doe that night. nice big mature one.

saturday am was a wash. got out at 130 and didnt see a deer but my hunting partner saw two shooters about 100 yards away from me.

sunday am, on the way to my ladder stand i had to check my watch as a big buck chased a doe out into the field. he was every bit of 140+. missed em!

headed down thursday. i always see plenty of buck activity 2nd season. should be good.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:43am - Nov 29,17 
The evening before first shotgun I called a very nice 10pt off of a doe from 130 yards. Came to full draw with him at 40 yards and continued tracking as he moved even closer. As i slowly swept my bow in tracking, allowing him to get even closer. I gentl grazed my upper limb on the rain canopy above. Just enough noise to send him to the next county. Still stewing over that. First time I've ever called in a buck while actively trending a doe. Another chapter in my life's hunting journal. Still a great hunt. Took a 2.5 yr old 5 pointer just right to cull from the heard. Partner took a horse of a deer. 6.5 year old, heavy mass but only a6 point...presumably as half was broken. Must have been part Clydesdale. The meat was very dark people-ish adv likely to be mostly ground. His son also till a nice 8 pointer. Nothing huge but a nice buck.. We're going down during muzzle loader again. I'll be there but with the bow again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:42pm - Nov 29,17 
Gun season this year was really just a big buck and coyote quest. Was able to shoot a really nice 9 (was a 12 but broke off brow tines) and a doe. The buck was a very nice mature deer with split G2s on both sides. Live weight was around 260 as well. I've been meaning to post on him but busy with wife and kids since I spend a fair amount of time away.

Anyways, no bucks or coyotes for me during first gun season. Weather really put a damper on it the winds weren't good either. I did see about 15 or so deer of the weekend but the biggest bucks were a couple of decent 6 points but nothing close to shooting. My buddy managed a decent 8 point that he regretted shooting (just a bit small) and a doe while the other one did manage to get a coyote. I won't be heading out second season, freezer is full and I was lucky to get away as much as I did with a 6 month and 27 month at home. Only hunting left for me this year will be a few trips bird hunting in the new year at one or two of the clubs near Chicago.

Good luck to all going out this weekend, weather looks a bit warm but hopefully a few people on here can connect with a good buck or two!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14pm - Nov 29,17 
Iroquois Co. decided to dig out our ditches , 2 wks before the hunting season ,, Had LOTS of deer , Bucks / Does on cams , before that ,,, Since then , I have seen 4 Deer , from my stands , First season ( gun ) , I shot a BIG Doe ,,, Not sure what to hope for , for second season ,,, I'll be to our Property on Fri. thru Sun ... can't get em on the couch ,,,

Good Luck and Safe Trips to all ... >>---}-> , >>### ------))-

Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:43pm - Dec 2,17 
2nd season worked out well for my dad and I and I'm glad because 1st season was horrible. Thursday evening I took a doe with the muzzleloader. Friday my dad took a nice 8 pointer. Thursday evening all I saw was a few does and yearlings so I waited until last light and shot a doe. I didn't find much blood so I let her lay until the next day. I found her about 40 yards into the woods with a perfect shot. This is 2 years in a row now that I put a perfect shot on one and I find very little blood. They are keeping me on my toes I guess.

As for my dad he shot possibly the biggest buck of his life Friday evening at about 4:30. In the morning he saw 20+ deer (that's never happened) so he figured he'd hunt the same spot for the evening and this was the only deer to appeared and I'm glad it did. Freezer's full so deer season is over, most likely.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:08am - Dec 3,17 
Very nice buck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54am - Dec 3,17 
Congrats!! Nice looking buck wide one!!
Would love to here the story looks like he took a slug to the eye socket?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:01am - Dec 3,17 
Congrats to the both of you, looks like a pretty nice 8 point as well. Sometimes those deer just don't bleed, I see that a lot with high lung shots where it takes a bit of the cavity to fill up.

Colddriver, thats his orange glove your seeing. He's holding the head and his glove is peaking around the side of it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:14pm - Dec 8,17 
Theboy160 wrote:
2nd season worked out well for my dad and I and I'm glad because 1st season was horrible. Thursday evening I took a doe with the muzzleloader. Friday my dad took a nice 8 pointer. Thursday evening all I saw was a few does and yearlings so I waited until last light and shot a doe. I didn't find much blood so I let her lay until the next day. I found her about 40 yards into the woods with a perfect shot. This is 2 years in a row now that I put a perfect shot on one and I find very little blood. They are keeping me on my toes I guess.

As for my dad he shot possibly the biggest buck of his life Friday evening at about 4:30. In the morning he saw 20+ deer (that's never happened) so he figured he'd hunt the same spot for the evening and this was the only deer to appeared and I'm glad it did. Freezer's full so deer season is over, most likely.

Here's one for the Old Man showing the son how it's done. :allah

Nothing wrong with your doe, but I'm sure Pops gave you some ribbing. All a part of the great experience of hunting with family.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:05am - Dec 10,17 
Tom,
My dad can shoot all of the big bucks on my farm and I'll never complain and he really doesn't rub it in too much. I owe this hunting addiction to my dad anyways. My dad took me out to a club he belonged to when I was 13 years old and I shot my first pheasant. A few years later I'm playing high school football after a heart breaking loss in the playoffs I look at the bright side, next week is deer gun season. A few years later I'm leaving my college class going straight to the club to deer hunt.

Now fast forward 20+ years later I'm buying my very own 60 acres of hunting property. This addiction has cost me quite a bit of money but its worth every cent.

As for my father I owe it to him and he always has first pick to whatever stand he wants which has been the same now for the last 7 years. For a gun spot its the best on my farm and I'm always hoping he kills something nice. It make me proud to know that he has killed his 2 biggest deer from my farm. He's only killed 4 bucks and actually one of those were with me at my buddies farm. Prior to that he only killed one 5 pointer in about 15 years of public land hunting.

Sometimes you just need to give back and its crazy how rolls change as you get older. My parents use to take care of me but as we get older we take care of my parents. So with that my dad can shoot the big bucks and I'll take the grief he may give me then I'll gut the deer for him.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: