Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:35pm - Jan 31,17 
So after a pretty disappointing 2016 deer season, archery and firearm, I am seriously considering leasing property in Illinois to deer hunt for next season, but I was hoping to solicit advice if possible. I've done a decent amount of research online and have come across a number of websites either offering leases or putting you in contact with property owners regarding leases, such as www.basecampleasing.com, www.nationalhuntingleases.com, www.droptineleases.com, and www.agrihuntfarms.com. Does anyone have any experience leasing a property through any of these websites or have any other recommendations on where to look to find a lease? Where did guys out there find their leases? Was it through personal or family connections or was it through a website or leasing agent? Also, please feel free to pm me if anyone is looking to add a guy to a lease for next year. I realize this is a big ask, but I figure that some people's needs eventually change over time and maybe a guy needs out of a lease for financial or family reasons and a spot needs to be filled to keep cost down. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Jan 31,17 
The land I hunt on I actually got really REALLY lucky. I was on a hunting website forum 7 years ago and a guy posted a couple trail cam pictures of two giant bucks. There were about 7 posts before me accusing him of being a outfitter trying to drum up business. I congratulated him on having some nice bucks and to ignore everyone else. The next day I had a message thanking me for saying that on the forums and if I wanted to hunt his land to let him know. A couple days later I gave him a call and he invited me down to hunt his land (actually a deceased relative). It tuned out to be the best deer hunting land you could ask for accept a little rugged and a lot of oaks and broken up crop fields but they have some giant bucks. He wasnt into deer hunting that much and no one really deer hunted outside him and another guy during gun season and its over 200 acres. Since then, we've become great friends and gone from 4 tree stands to over 30. I got very lucky that way. Sometimes it just takes being on hunting forums and talking to guys.

We did lease another small piece of timber (about 30 acres) but my buddy heard it on the farm radio down by where we hunt. He called the guy and checked it out that afternoon and had the cash in hand for him.

I think the best way is to continually check craigslist and see what comes up there. I check there here and there for hunting items and I've seen a decent amount of leases on there. I have checked out those leasing websites and it seems like those leases are pretty over priced, at least in Illinois. I look at the reviews for them and some people say if they make it to those big websites there is a reason they weren't rented out locally. I guess you never know though, there could be some gems. I think you just have to get luckily.

I'd keep checking craigslist and see what pops up on there. Finding anything within 90 minutes of Chicago is going to be tough, you really just have to get lucky and stumble upon something good. I think there are good spots to find, you just have to put in some decent work and have a little bit of luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49pm - Feb 9,17 
We just leased a very nice piece of land, approximately 45 acres in DeWitt County about an hour and half away. Hardwoods surrounded by crops with a nice creek running thru it. Plenty of sign, along with bedding areas as well. Price was very reasonable. We had been searching for an extended period of time and were finally able to find something reasonably priced within driving distance of home.

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:50am - Mar 23,17 
If I can ask cause I am still looking for land curious how did you hear about it? Thank you

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:58am - Mar 23,17 
There are several lease companies such as Basecamp that have lease information in various states. The best way is to become a member for about $200. You will receive notice of available properties before the general population does. If you find something you like, you place a deposit, go view the land, then if you like it, sign a lease agreement. There are other benefits as well. If you do a little research, you cn find which one fits your needs the best. I also continually search Craigslist, and Farm Bureau papers to see what if anything might work. Always looking for opportunities!

Lt.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: