Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:21am - Jul 11,17 
Just curious for the controlled pheasant hunting when does the state typically let you apply for permits? I looked online and they don't really have a date. Im still new to this that's why I ask would like to try for pheasants this year. :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01am - Jul 11,17 
For the free permits apply Aug.01.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Do ... ctions.pdf

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/up ... an2017.pdf

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45am - Jul 11,17 
Can I ask for the free upland permit. You still would need to pay for the pheasant permits correct? or is the day just free if selected? Thank you

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:42pm - Jul 11,17 
you may be getting two different programs mixed up here.

a) The free upland hunts mentioned in the links above are private land owner/ dnr partnerships. DNR is granted permission from landowners to invite people to hunt their managed farm land. the hunt is indeed free but you must apply and be chosen through a lottery. they do not release birds; its all natural. there may be some public sites thrown in there as well but you still have to apply for those sites.

b) The controlled hunts are run by the DNR on almost a daily basis during the duration of the states pheasant season. they release birds daily at sites such as Des Plaines, K3, Iroquois, etc...you can purchase these permits in the fall via the online OTC system. there are almost always standby permits available as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:46pm - Jul 11,17 
urbanhog312 wrote:
you may be getting two different programs mixed up here.

a) The free upland hunts mentioned in the links above are private land owner/ dnr partnerships. DNR is granted permission from landowners to invite people to hunt their managed farm land. the hunt is indeed free but you must apply and be chosen through a lottery. they do not release birds; its all natural. there may be some public sites thrown in there as well but you still have to apply for those sites.

b) The controlled hunts are run by the DNR on almost a daily basis during the duration of the states pheasant season. they release birds daily at sites such as Des Plaines, K3, Iroquois, etc...you can purchase these permits in the fall via the online OTC system. there are almost always standby permits available as well.

The free upland hunts are not private land owner/dnr partnerships. These hunts are on state owned properties. The PHA's or Pheasant Habitat Areas were purchased with the revenue generated from the Illinois Habitat Stamp and the Open Lands Trust Fund to provide habitat for pheasant.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Jul 11,17 
From what I have been made to understand, the free permits are just for spots that have wild birds and they let a few dozen groups hunt it every year From what I have been told, the success rate is pretty low.

For the put and take sites like I think you are referring too, it looks like the application process starts on the 1st it looks like.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/up ... s.aspx#App

For the State run sites, Des Plaines would be my first choice. Its big and usually you can get somewhat away from people after the first 30 minutes, you just have to look at the map before hand and figure out where you are going to hunt with a dog or if you don't have a dog. When I have hunted there without a dog, we usually get a bird or two. If we meet someone with a dog, our luck is a bit better. There was one time we met some guys at our area with a good dog and 5 of us were limited out by 9:45. Other times, we walk and walk and maybe get one bird.

Kankakee SP is much more wide open and not as many people hunt there. I don't see that many birds there but you can hunt rabbits too. You really have to stick to the woods here after the first 45 minutes, they don't have as much open ground. Not my favorite place but you can get away from other hunters and usually see a couple birds.

I hunted Silver Springs this last January and wasn't super impressed. Nice ground and not a huge amount of pressure but not a ton of birds. We had a light snow the night before and you could tell if they released birds it was all from the main road, they didnt drive into any of the areas to release birds. Kind of upsetting that they didnt put too much effort in. We did see some birds but most of them were within 10 yards of the road and the only reason they were there is because everyone had dogs and no one want there dogs to get close to the road. These birds did NOT want to get in the air. We finally got a couple but mainly because we got lucky and flushed some, most were runners. Talked to some guys who had 5 people and two good dogs and they only had 5 after that AM hunt. They said that their just went a ton of birds.

I do like the chain, always a good time and I see some birds. Its the closest for me which is why I like it best.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:40pm - Jul 12,17 
X2 on what BigB stated.
Silver Springs(close to my home) is a government owned,privitely run hunting area.Last year we had a lot of runners as well. Group of 5 and 1 dog.Thank goodness for the dog,saved the day.He ran and worked hard chasin' those Chinese chickens down. 1 bird had him running for over 10 minutes!!
Each year has been a new learning curve at Silver springs.
Desplaines-I have had good success there after I figured out how to hunt it.
Iroqious(farther south)-nice place to hunt,have not been there for a few years.Was not getting the birds as I used to.
Maybe someone can update.
Good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:44am - Aug 3,17 
So best bet if no dog would be des plaines than would you guys refer to a weekday rather than a weekend? Thank you.

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: