Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28am - Jan 25,17 
Just curious how everyones season went this year and how was the hunting was looking to apply later this year to try hunting and was curious how the hunting was. Any tips/info greatly appreciated. :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:09am - Jan 25,17 
well, i didn't get shot. so i'd say it went pretty well.

what are you looking to hunt for?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:53am - Jan 25,17 
Honestly, doves, pheasants any reports honestly. :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:06pm - Jan 25,17 
dont go looking for any of those species on public land unless its a managed area i.e. des plaines, jim edgar, k3

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:37am - Jan 26,17 
So how did you guys do hunting this year that is..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:59pm - Jan 28,17 
My deer hunting buddy and I decided to try Silver Springs this year on a last minute hunt. While not a bad place, it wasnt one of my favorite put and take spots. We didnt have a dog but still saw a few birds and harvested two without a dog. We talked with a lot of guys in the parking lot and they said it was pretty tough hunting this year out there even with dogs (some had more than one). I think they release the birds along the main roads and hope they make it into places where the hunters can shoot them and don't release them back in the hunting areas or they might have just been lazy morning. Since we had no dog we hunted closer to the roads and saw a fair amount of birds but nothing that would flush or give us a shot. I will say I have never seen so many runners before. I would literally chase birds for 50 yards being 10 feet behind them and they wouldnt flush. Luckily it was a nice morning so it made up for the lack of shooting,

I will say that the amount of deer sign in the areas that allow pheasant hunting but not allow deer hunting was insane. I do a lot of scouting for deer and that was by far the most deer sign I've ever seen. I don't know where they all go when the pheasant hunters come in but wow, the amount of droppings and tracks was insane.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16pm - Feb 1,17 
I dove hunted opening day, Sept 1st at Matthiesen. I killed 10 or 12 and should've had a limit but for poor shooting. Also, I was struck pretty hard in the face and forearms by pellets from another shooter, hard enough to draw blood from my nose. Luckily, I was wearing sunglasses at the time or the results could've been much worse. It scared the crap out of me but I kept hunting. I never figured out who shot me. I also dove hunted Matthiesen Sept 3rd, but a different field. I didn't fire the gun once that day and left after 2.5 hours. I didn't pheasant hunt in Illinois this year as I didn't draw a Upland Game Permit and couldn't be bothered going out to Des Plaines or Chain o' Lakes. I did make a trip to the Northwoods of Wisconsin though for grouse in mid October. I was able to flush a healthy amount of birds without a dog over a day and a half and had shots at a number of them, but didn't kill one. Still I was quite happy to have as much action as I did. I returned again in January to the same area but there was much more snow than I expected, despite the warm winter and low recent temperatures. I hunted half a day on snowshoes and managed to flush two grouse but never had a shot. Hunting on snowshoes in 18 inches of snow was the most exhausting thing I've done in the past few years.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:13pm - Feb 2,17 
I hunted Des Plains for doves and it was horrible. They did not spray the weeds so there was not too many sunflowers around. This is all I can give you for birds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21pm - Feb 7,17 
Thank you for updates appreciate all information given. This year I hope will be better than last.

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: