Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:26pm - Apr 7,17 
So the 1st season in the Northern Zone opens Monday April 10th. Figured i'd get things going. Who's hunting where and what season? Who's been seeing birds? Who's just excited for it to be hunting season again? I'm hunting at least one day during the 1st season at Matthiessen State Park just south of Utica. I hunted it two days last year during the 1st season and saw and heard toms both days but couldn't get one to play the game. I'm hoping I have better luck this year. Headed out to scout it tomorrow. Good luck to everybody.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35am - Apr 8,17 
I have a second season tag for mchenry county. Lots of birds around, should be a good year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:52pm - Apr 8,17 
I'm not sure when and if I'm going to my farm this year. There are some of birds out there but I'll try and go out the 4th season. I am leaving Wednesday for Nebraska for a 3 day turkey hunt out there. 2 days with the bow and 1 with the gun. My buddy has been hunting out there for a couple years so I'm hoping his knowledge helps.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12pm - Apr 8,17 
Good luck fellas. After scouting today at Matthiessen State Park, I may just skip the first season and concentrate my efforts on the permits I have for the 3rd and 4th seasons at better locations. I heard a few toms today but they were on the quarry property adjacent to the park. I might go down tomorrow evening and see if I can figure out if any birds are roosting in a spot I can set up at first thing Monday morning.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Apr 10,17 
i have a 3rd season tag for west-central IL. my friend sent me a pic a couple weeks ago of a tom strutting behind the barn mid day. i'm hoping to repeat the below, this year.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/outd ... ed-antler/

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:50pm - Apr 10,17 
I remember seeing that dale bowman article last spring. Congrats. One of those days you'll never forget. The hardest part will be trying to out do yourself this year. I decided to skip the first season at Matthiessen. Will try to bag my first for the year during the 3rd season in Schuyler county.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:31pm - Apr 13,17 
I've got 4th season JoDaviess County this year. Never hunted Spring Turkey that late so this will be something new. Good luck to everyone!

1993 Tracker 17' Dual Console
60HP Johnson w/ Evinrude 9.9 4-stroke kicker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:34pm - Apr 22,17 
Hunted the last two days in Schuyler County. Never even heard a turkey let alone saw one. Very disappointing trip. Hunting was so poor I came home a few days early.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Apr 22,17 
My Nebraska trip was a bust. We hardly saw any birds in 3 days. I went to my farm and saw a bunch of hens but no toms. I did hear a few gobblin. The only good thing was I did find a shed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06pm - Apr 22,17 
I did end up getting one the opener of second season. Nice Tom. Had my daughter with, her first time out, she had fun but did not enjoy the 4am wake up call.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56pm - Apr 25,17 
Hunted second season on a friend's land in Jo Daviess and only had one morning to hunt before Easter. I heard some toms gobbling along with some hens but since there wasn't much time to hunt I took a Jake that walked in early Saturday morning. Brought my son out for 3rd season and were able to work some nice birds. We had several toms that would gobble and come in a little way but would eventually hang up. Managed to get a tom with a 10" beard and 1" spurs on Saturday morning. This one came in on a rope from around 100 yards. He never ran but snaked his way through the brush all the way up to us. Excellent time to spend with him on his first turkey hunt. Good luck to everyone out there over the next couple weeks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:15pm - May 8,17 
Following up on my earlier post, weather absolutely sucked the two days we were able to hunt. Windy, rainy and cold. Heard some gobbling the second day but they weren't moving. Ended up with a Jake on the second day. I think we'll go back to second season next year.

1993 Tracker 17' Dual Console
60HP Johnson w/ Evinrude 9.9 4-stroke kicker

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: