Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:48pm - Nov 4,19 
If you’ve been keeping up with my posts on Facebook lately, I’m sure you’ve noticed many of my discouraging waterfowl hunts, knowing that this is my first year chasing waterfowl. After chasing pheasants with my two dogs as a kid, I’ve realized there is a very large learning curve when targeting waterfowl. My buddies got the bug instilled in me when they took me up to the UP about a month ago for the duck opener. We were lucky enough to bag a few woodies and divers, but nothing taken by my hand.
With having the luxuries of the abundant public access points to hunting and fishing in West Michigan, I’d have to admit that I spend more times hunting and fishing than days I don’t. Whether it is before or after class, I haven’t taken more than a day off within the “spirit of the wild” in the great country Michigan has to offer.
For the past few weeks, I’ve been hitting the rivers and lakes hard for bass, walleye, and steelhead. With all the rain we have gotten, all of the rivers in my area have been totally blown out, which has made fishing less than ideal. Having around 20 waterfowl trips under my belt , since the beginning of the season, I’ve only knocked down a few without having the chance to recover them. Knowing I had just about the same chance of killing a duck than catching a fish in the raging Grand River this morning, I decided to try my luck on my own. Due to the fact all my hunting buddies were either busy with class and were too discouraged from the weather.
As soon as first light hit, shots started firing and it was game on. The woodies read the script and ended up having multiple groups give me a look. Eventually, a few came in close enough for a shot, within my spread of decoys. At the end of the morning I finished the day with my first pair of wood ducks. With never killing a duck before and finishing my first solo trip with a hen and a drake, I figured it fitting to keep these two on my wall, even though a wood duck dinner would be quite satisfying tonight.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - Nov 4,19 
Eat her, mount him....a thought

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!"
In case you are wondering, I sold the Grady. Oh well, everybody makes mistakes....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:34pm - Nov 4,19 
grady1007 wrote:
Eat her, mount him....a thought

It's more of the story after coming up short for so long with my buddies that know their stuff on waterfowl hunting. it will be much more memorable seeing a mount of my two birds, gettin er done on my own. I've stumbled across a honey hole, my buddies and I will be back wednesday to put the smackdown on em. If it flies it dies....... after these two........ kill em and grill em

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:24pm - Nov 5,19 
One of my first solo duck outings yielded 2 drake mallards that came in together and I dropped them both. They are on the wall for the same reason you are mounting those. I also always wanted a turkey mount so although it was expensive my first turkey was mounted as well. Nicely done AJ!

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:37pm - Nov 5,19 
My very first duck hunt was sort of a pheasant hunt along a creek. I had never shot a duck before and as luck would have it I did the same as you. EXCEPT, I ate them. I have regretted that decision to this very day, and that was 40 years ago.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:27am - Nov 6,19 
Just wait, before you know it you'll have a trailer full of full body goose and duck decoys, blinds, flappers, spinners, and every other gadget that exists for fooling ducks & geese... welcome to the sickness!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55am - Nov 6,19 
bass1388 wrote:
Just wait, before you know it you'll have a trailer full of full body goose and duck decoys, blinds, flappers, spinners, and every other gadget that exists for fooling ducks & geese... welcome to the sickness!

I’ve only been at this for little over a month and it’s already starting to add up! :?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:40pm - Nov 11,19 
Don't forget Wood duck feathers are highly sought after by fly tyers.I used to have access to some K3 river backwaters and put on some hip waders and walked the flooded trees,Best hunting ever ,all by myself,Haven't shot a bird in over 10 years.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:47pm - Nov 11,19 
ABS

Anything But Squirrels.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Nov 11,19 
steelheadtroller wrote:
ABS

Anything But Squirrels.

You can't tempt him like that Scott. He's got an itchy trigger finger. :bigyuck

Taken this morning.

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:51pm - Nov 11,19 
He texted me this morning. I’ve been unusually nice. Others in the group have been shopping for used single-wide trailers for him.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:36am - Nov 12,19 
If he starts fishing for blue cats with a drifting jug line and taking banjo lessons we will organize an intervention for you.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:50am - Nov 12,19 
great posts, now you'll be looking skyward every day. We bagged a few woodies and widgeon along with the usual geese last month in Wisc.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12am - Nov 12,19 
steelheadtroller wrote:
If he starts fishing for blue cats with a drifting jug line and taking banjo lessons we will organize an intervention for you.

:rotflmao too many options offered in west Michigan to only target salmon and trout during the season. Giving whitefish, walleye, and lakers a shot today in the channel at grand haven :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Nov 12,19 
Battled the elements today, but was able to walk away with my first whitefish out of Grand Haven

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37pm - Nov 15,19 
Congrats! That is the duck mount that i'm looking for! We have woodies on the pond at my house in the spring (can't hunt) and when I see them I keep telling myself that I need to get out and find a place to get one. Hopefully next year I'll find some time and a place to knock a couple down.

Funny because I live near Independence Grove (north Suburbs) and I have well over a thousand geese fly over a night and have no desire to put one of those on the wall.

Board index » Game Bag » Water-Fowl
Jump to: