Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41am - Jan 9,18 
Not in the market for a decent power auger at this time, but my 9 yr old daughter saw the signs at Blackwell (for the tournament)and seems very interested in trying ice fishing. Who am I to discourage something like that? I figure I can deal with a manual auger for now (how long does a manual auger take for, say 6" ice?). Wondering where to look, in western suburbs....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:16pm - Jan 9,18 
manual auger will work just fine for that ice thickness. the bigger the whole diameter the harder it will be to cut... 8" is probably max I would go on manual auger, 6" is standard, or they also make 4". Unless you are planning on going after really big fish, 6" is what I would recommend. Most sporting goods stores carry augers, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dick's, etc... Can get a decent auger for about $50-75. Good luck at the tournament! You can check the sales forum on here and see if anyone is selling a used one... deals to be had usually.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Jan 9,18 
I'll pm you my number call when you get to blackwell hardwater classic I'll let you borrow mine to try it out!! But as far as your question I would think 6 inches of ice 6 in auger maybe 35-40 seconds definitely sweating after 10 of them. I have bought both of my hand augers from Lee's Bait and Tackle in Carol Stream.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:40pm - Jan 9,18 
thanks guys! (if I don't get one I just might take you up on that colddriver!)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:49pm - Jan 9,18 
I have an 6" manual ice auger that I want to sell. Old but like new. No reasonable offer will be refused. Get ready for ice fishing.

I live in Forest Park. That's 10 miles due west of downtown Chicago near the Eisenhower. I'm in the telephone book - Joseph Saliga.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:51pm - Jan 9,18 
6 in. auger good all around size,been using a 6 in. mora for years.
6 in. of ice drilled 25-40 seconds easy. Do not push down to hard on the auger,let the blades do the work.
The blades-protect and take care of your blades-I keep an extra pair as a backup.A dull or damaged blade will make drilling miserable-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:57pm - Jan 9,18 
I am planning to fish Blackwell tomorrow. I will post ice thickness. I have 8" electric K-Drill,$500 with Milwaukee Drill.I would not buy a manual auger larger than 6".

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:56pm - Jan 9,18 
I have a 6" nils hand auger for local ice, eats it up fast! Thicker ice, out comes the gas auger, or if I bring kids/ friends out the gas rules again. For a hand auger, the nils would be hard to beat. They are more expensive though.... If you cant find one local, I have had good luck ordering from Reeds in Minnesota.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49pm - Jan 9,18 
I'm in Glen Ellyn. I have a basic 6" Bass Pro shop model manual auger. My first one I ever had. Its in excellent condition. I don't use it anymore. $20 and its yours!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01pm - Jan 9,18 
$50 for a 7" manual auger at Henry's on 31st that I've been using to drill through at least 10" of ice over the last few days with extreme ease. They also sell the $20 adapter for any 18v or higher drill. I'm annoyed I went to Henry's after going to Cabela's and not before. They have a much better selection of ice gear than any of the chain stores, will answer any question you have, and it's nice to support the local guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:34pm - Jan 9,18 
Ive been using a 5in mora and back up 6in for years..i attach a cordless for more then 6in of ice. the connection between the two can be as simple as a 3/8 socket extension drill out the part that fits the rachet the other end fits in drill

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Jan 10,18 
Get the strike master lazer brand. Mora is terrible
You can than put it on the clam drill adaptor plate with your 1/2 inch battery drill.
It is a super sweet set up. Yes 6 inch is perfect for lakes around here.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:40pm - Jan 10,18 
Oh, man!.... Some great advice and offers here.
I'm told, in secret, that my little girl schemed and pleaded with my wife and something was ordered for me. So I'll get what I get, .. and will make it work. Daughter is enthused, and I myself haven't ice fished in maybe 20 yrs. Thanks all!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:22pm - Jan 10,18 
Blackwell 10-12 " ice,most snow has melted, lot of standing water,may be a skating rink for derby.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54pm - Jan 10,18 
diddly4 wrote:
I'm in Glen Ellyn. I have a basic 6" Bass Pro shop model manual auger. My first one I ever had. Its in excellent condition. I don't use it anymore. $20 and its yours!

diddly - sending you a pm

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:06pm - Jan 10,18 
I learned my lesson with the 6” mora. Honestly, stay away from them. Save your money and get a StrikeMaster or by all means a Nils no greater than a 4”-4.5” or whatever is available in the smallest diameter. Trust me, it’s worth the investment. when you realize that ice fishing is more like trolling on the ice, you will have to find the fish first, you have to drill MANY holes before you get to the fun. When you have the basics down and you decide to upgrade to a power auger, you’ll still have your lazer or nils auger as a quick backup in case you have to do repairs on your power auger. Nils or StrikeMaster lazer. You will not regret it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06am - Jan 11,18 
Howard, I got the PM. replied.

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: