Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04am - Jan 9,20 
Earlier this week i was up in Minnesota on Leech Lake and landed a nice walleye. His gills were profusely bleeding so I quickly threw the fish outside of my shack and start jigging again because the fish move in fast an you don't want to miss an opportunity. What happened next was eerie.

Each time a fish would show up on my graph, the walleye on the ice would start flopping around like it was attempting to communicate/warn/or cry for help to the fish in the area. This only happened when i had a mark. Not once did the fish move otherwise. This happened 5 or 6 times until the last time the walleye started moving around with no mark on the graph....then sure as shinola, a fish showed up seconds later. This was on the garmin panoptix so i could see the fish (as a big red blob) come into view 12 feet away in 25 feet of water. I ended up putting down the walleye cause i was so freaked out. I did not catch another fish that evening.

My buddies thought i was nuts but i swear that thing did not move unless there was a fish in the area. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:08am - Jan 9,20 
Im more interested to hear how the ice conditions were?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:14am - Jan 9,20 
reno wrote:
Im more interested to hear how the ice conditions were?

Very wet. Lots of slush so snowmobile was the only means of travel. We were fortunate that our most productive spot had solid ice to fish on but getting out there was very slushy. Had to chip away at the ice on the tracks to get the snowmobile moving.
There was about 12 inches of solid ice and a 6 inches of slush or snow.

Barely anyone out there.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:24pm - Jan 9,20 
First I commend you for being that observant. And I am sure your investigative skills are on the same level. If it were me, I would seek out the fish scientist that work for the In-Fisherman magazine. Should they not have an answer immediately, it will make for some good reading in the future. I don't think they would let this pass without some kind of investigation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21am - Jan 10,20 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
First I commend you for being that observant. And I am sure your investigative skills are on the same level. If it were me, I would seek out the fish scientist that work for the In-Fisherman magazine. Should they not have an answer immediately, it will make for some good reading in the future. I don't think they would let this pass without some kind of investigation.

Great idea, just sent them a note. Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:58pm - Jan 10,20 
Lots of views. I'll bet I'm not the only one wondering if it was a coincidence or ???. Thanks for sharing. Let us know if anything comes of it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:24pm - Jan 10,20 
Crack or tweak?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:09pm - Jan 10,20 
I don’t believe your observation was coincidental at all. I’ve witnessed similar episodes dating back to the early 50’s when my dad and I would have a laker or two on a stringer while slowly trolling over the exact same hole the fish we caught came from. The laker(s) would suddenly get active and dad would say, “they want to go back home”.

It’s amazing how animals have evolved to communicate or react and in different ways and thru different means. Whales communicate. Bees, tiny spiders- all living things communicate, maybe not in any verbal sense but thru some highly complex and developed mechanisms or reactions to external stimuli; over long distances and thru different mediums.

Perhaps someday an Ichthyologist will find evidence of an infinitely small unit of energetic stimuli and call it a “picel” after Pisces. Maybe even “The Watsonator”.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10pm - Jan 10,20 
Fish can smell,eyesight,sense vibration.A fish on a stringer in the water could possible send a distress that may keep other fish away.
But, a fish on top of the ice would not be able to send a smell or vibration.Would love to hear from a scientist on this-

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:38am - Jan 11,20 
I agree with Bubbalouies assessment , way too much science documented with animals to discount a possibility
Dogs able to sense seizures is just one that comes to mind. We routinely shoot sonar through the ice to get a depth
and I believe fish can feel that sonar pulse so why couldn't a fish on top of the ice be able to feel the presence of fish
nearby under the ice ?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:26am - Jan 11,20 
Johnny Finn wrote:
I agree with Bubbalouies assessment , way too much science documented with animals to discount a possibility
Dogs able to sense seizures is just one that comes to mind. We routinely shoot sonar through the ice to get a depth
and I believe fish can feel that sonar pulse so why couldn't a fish on top of the ice be able to feel the presence of fish
nearby under the ice ?

Me too. Seems to me the fish on the ice could be picking up the same sonar return that your locator is. Very interesting post, thewatsonater. Thanks for sharing your observations!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:12pm - Jan 11,20 
Exactly what Johnny Finn says. Dogs also are being used to detect cancer. Maybe we’re being too “scientific” and it’s simply a sonar mechanism thru ice as JF and TyeeII say. It’s penetrated by sound waves. If you put your ear to a railroad track you can hear the train coming from afar. Put your ear to the ice and you’ll get frost bite….(sorry) but you get the notion …..

I started to think about the Watsonator’s observation and I believe I witnessed a similar reaction a few yrs ago with a nice Walleye on the ice. Ended up with two large Northerns caught right after the Walleye’s reaction. Think the Walleye “sensed” a predator fish and got plain scared and he reacted both times. Bait on tip ups always get agitated when predators come into the area and this happens at night also.

I’m sure there’s plenty of info and data on the net regarding this if you research a little. Yes, good post Watsonator! :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:07pm - Jan 11,20 
Since the fish was sitting in slush. I believe it was feeling the transducer signal as an electrical charge. Only
activated when another fish triggered it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:09pm - Jan 11,20 
I don’t like moving around on the ice. When I get setup I stay in the same 100ft radius. I like to beat the ice and make noise. I like drilling more holes with gas auger. It seems to work a lot of times.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:48pm - Jan 11,20 
I park my snowmobile far away from where I am fishing,large machine can spook fish.
I drill my holes first and then let them rest,carefully walk on the ice,then fish.
In shallow water,found that if I turned my depthfinder off,I caught more fish.
Doing my homework,hope someone else as well on this,good post-

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Jan 12,20 
Happens ALL the time with me and inland trout!!! Just before i get a bite the ones on the stringer start thrashing around...never fails!

Keep your stick on the ice!!!-----Red Green

Proud son of a Civilian Conservation Corps. member and following in his footsteps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:49am - Jan 13,20 
I was up in the UP a couple of years ago fishing Fortune Lake.We were having some success with the jigging rods but the Tip-ups were silent.We were visited by friends of my Brother in law,who would often drive out to us on the lake to hang out,have a drink or so then leave.The ice was easily 3 ft.or so thick so everyone drove their vehicles onto the ice.Anyways before the one Gentleman left he said he would take a lap around us in his old F250 to wake the fish up ?So he made a slow lap around us and headed off the ice.I cannot explain it but the flags did start to pop!Only a couple of small pike,but had a couple others that got cleaned of their bait.Somethings cannot be easily explained.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - Jan 14,20 
It's quite the relief to here all of your experiences. Thank you all! I'll keep you guys updated if i hear back from in-fisherman.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:56pm - Jan 15,20 
Next time leave your flasher at home, and just bring out a nice Walleye. When it starts flopping around, put your bait down the hole. Being more productive, and giving you more time to cook those delicious Johnsonvilles.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Jan 17,20 
Doug Stange from In-fishmerman got back to me a few days ago. See quotes below. I let him know I had some feedback from this forum so I sent a direct link in case he was interested. Thanks again for all your responses.

"Hi Adam:
Never heard of that one before. Probably coincidence.

But then again . . . ?

Thanks, and good fishing to you!
"

Board index » Hard Water » Ice Fishing
Jump to: