Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35am - Jun 15,15 
For those of you that are proponents of worthy outdoor causes, I thought you might like to see what one teenage Eagle Scout is doing to honor the memory of Don LaBrose, former DuPage County Forest Preserve Fisheries biologist (who died in 2012 while at work) and to improve children’s fishing experiences in the area.

The effort involves introducing a new strain of fish (hybrid bluegills, aka: Golliath Bluegills) to the DuPage County Forest Preserve waters. It's a really cool project! Imaging being able to catch a 4lb blue gill!! How incredible would that be?

For more information, or to make a donation, you can go to the new crowdfunding page:

Www.gofundme.com/fundsforfish

Here's another way you can also help: If you're interested in talking about it or helping Quinn spread the word via your facebook pages, twitter, email lists or fishing groups with a kind word about his project, he’d greatly appreciate it!

He's already raised 4k towards his goal and this new crowdfunding effort is designed to help put him over the top. Every dollar counts! The more money he raises on this project the more fish they'll stock.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for your consideration!!

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:36pm - Jun 15,15 
Are Goliath the same as Coppernose?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:35pm - Jun 15,15 
Justin,

I'm not a fisheries biologist, don't play one on TV and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... (lol) so I'm not the expert on fisheries identification or classification.

However, I can offer this since I wandered out into cyberspace and American Sportfish hatchery had this to say "The coppernose bluegill is a subspecies of the common bluegill. It is not a hybrid."

The fish that are going to be stocked into the DuPage County Forest Preserve waters through Quinn's fundraising efforts (often referred to as Golliath bluegill) are definitely hybrid bluegills.... so adding 2+2 together it appears we can say that they are not going to by Coppernose bluegill.

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:42pm - Jun 15,15 
a club i once belonged to stocked something similar,well over a pound anyway.there was talk some years ago about stocking these in lake michigan,the same people that oversaw the salmon stocking.they were talking 4lb+ bluegills.dont know why they dont stock shellcrackers in the big lake.they love zebra mussels and get big eating em.lake havasau az has broken the cracker record a few times on zebra fattened shellcrackers

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:43pm - Jun 15,15 
Gentlemen and women, Please give some serious consideration to donating to this project. Our government won't fund this. But it's more than a project. It's an experiment too.
Imagine, in a few years, you can take your kids to a local, public, free, lake that actually has 2 pound bluegill in it! And you catch a couple!
Or, how about telling your wife that you need a new auger because the one you have doesn't cut holes large enough for these bluegill ! And she lets you !
The fisheries biologists believe this project WILL BE SUCCESSFUL.
The only delay in actually buying and stocking these monsters is the money.
I have already given a donation.
I believe in Quinn.
PLEASE, buy at least a few fish by donating on his ''Go Fund Me'' site; or, at the DuPage County Forest Preserve site. Look for ''Funds For Fish''.
Thank you all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:47am - Jun 16,15 
Thanks for supporting Quinn's project!!

Quinn has both the Gofundme page set up for donations (gofundme.com/fundsforfish) and a link via the DuPage County Forest Preserve's website.

In case anyone wants to donate directly to the DuPage County Forest Preserve's site for this campaign:

https://www.dupageforestgiving.org/

Simply select "Funds for Fish" in the drop down box and then follow the prompts.

The Chicago Tribune story about it was picked up in syndication and ran in quite a few places around the country. In an era where we have a hard time getting kid's off their electronics and into the outdoors, for a 17 year old high school student to have come up with this idea to honor a respected fisheries biologist and improve our fisheries is pretty cool.

Quinn appreciates everyone's support!! Every dollar helps!

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:04am - Jun 16,15 
This is a good idea, but it is very possible that many people will take these gills home and eat them without giving a thought about the hard work by Quinn and the donations by kind people. They should be C and R, but I've seen people take undersized fish like bass home. I try to reason with them, but they just walk off all angry at me and won't let me measure the fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07am - Jun 16,15 
I'd be curious to hear what the harvesting conditions would be.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Jun 16,15 
We are working with the fisheries biologists at the FPD District and have brought up all these issues. Quinn and I fish, so we get it.

And our comments are the same as everyone elses. We're not opposed to people who eat fish. We occasionally keep a fish at some place we've traveled to eat, but primarily we're like most people who are CPR (Catch, Photograph and Release) fishermen...even for a trophy fish. That is how I was taught to fish and it is what Quinn grew up with. We are, however, opposed to people with buckets who keep absolutely everything they hook, legal size, illegal size, in season, out of season, whatever. Nothing very sporting about that.

It is our hope that there will be some attention paid to this very special program to try and prevent people from simply "harvesting" all these fish! Of course, since Quinn is only handling the fundraising aspect as his tribute to Don LaBrose, the regulatory, and enforcement, part is entirely up to the FPD folks who oversee the fisheries programs and they have a good grasp on what's going on.

At the end of the day, Quinn's hopeful that there will be some attention and regulation focused on these fish. But even with regulation, we all know that some people just choose to ignore them and that's what gives our sport a bad name.

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06am - Jun 16,15 
Quote:
At the end of the day, Quinn's hopeful that there will be some attention and regulation focused on these fish. But even with regulation, we all know that some people just choose to ignore them and that's what gives our sport a bad name.

I agree ten fold and I think this is a great program. One area I see lacking at most fisheries is the effort to exchange the knowledge and adoption of the fishing regulations to anglers. Something as simple as more signage on the fishing regulations could drastically reduce over harvesting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:49pm - Jun 17,15 
Quinn did another media (print) interview today on the Funds for Fish project. The media continues to be extremely interested in the initiative to stock a new strain of fish in the Forest Preserve waters and how a 17 year old is attemping to improve the fishing for people in the community.

Update: He's 84% of the way towards the original fundraising goal he set for the project which is exciting since it just started around the 1st of April. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Jun 17,15 
When will the stocking take place once the 5K mark has been reached? Also, I'm having a hard time finding information on goliath bluegill. Do you have a reliable link you can share? Perhaps from the hatchery? Thank you. Your efforts thus far have been nearly heroic !! Keep it up !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29pm - Jun 17,15 
Will the opening day for fishing these new gills by for donors only?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21pm - Jun 17,15 
I'm sure they are stocking yearling bluegill. Maybe 2 inches long. You must be patient. If you hope to someday catch (and release) one of these monsters; open your wallet and donate. The more money received, the more hybrids get stocked. If good karma exists, this is your chance to sign up for some!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - Jun 18,15 
A couple points of clarification. While I cannot speak for the DuPage County Forest Preserve District, reasonable thought suggests that normal rules of fish stocking apply meaning fish that come from the hatchery are smaller size as suggested in an earlier post and get introduced into the waters where they'll be stocked and grow over time. That's typical of what occurs in every fish stocking program. i.e. you aren't fishing 8 lb bass on the day bass are stocked becuase the fish introduced aren't 8lbs on that day. The fish introduced are fingerlings and grow to 8lbs over time.

So, to answer the other question, no on the day they're stocked there is not going to be a "donors only" fishing program. 1) Because the fish introduced won't be of size yet to fish and 2) it's a public body of water so no one get's excluded to fish any body of water unless so regulated by the FPD by closure.

Lastly, as for the phrase "golliath bluegill" that is just a fishing term for these breed of fish which generally get very BIG! Hence, the name Golliath. However, putting the name Golliath aside, they are really just "hybrid" bluegills" and there is a ton of information out there from hatcheries about them.

As to when the fish stocking takes place... that is entirely up to the FPD once the funds are raised, Quinn presents all the funds to them and the fisheries biologists assess the right time of year to do so for optimal success.

I hope the added information helps. Bottom line: there's a chance for people interested in seeing this happen to step up and contribute if they're able. Where this goes long term is anybody's guess but it's a cool project started by an area teenager and has the potential to be very special for the fishing community!

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:12am - Jun 18,15 
As someone mentioned upthread "I am not a fisheries biologist".
Neither am I, but I have a question. Since these "giant" bluegills are hybrids, they won't breed true to form or size in subsequent generations.

So, in a nutshell, it would be difficult {without supplemental, continuous stocking} to maintain a population of these Goliath Bluegills.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I too think it would be great to catch a 1.5 - 2.0 pound bluegill, much less something pushing 4.0 pounds.

-Carl Sagan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Jun 19,15 
I'm glad that everyone is talking about the project. Those ARE great questions... which honestly I do not know the answers to and really have to be addressed by fisheries folks at the FPD who can address those more scientifically.

I DO however know that this breed of bluegill was a strain of fish that Don LaBrose, the former FPD fisheries biologist who passed away in 2012, wanted to introduce into FPD waters but was unable to before his untimely death.

to honor Don, and the incredible outdoor work he did for people in our area, Quinn has picked up the torch and the FPD fisheries folks have approved the fisheries program he created.

Hopefully, to the point of maintaining the population of these fish they'll consider adding it to their regular fish stocking efforts that they do every year in the bodies of water they manage. The success of this program may very well be the catalyst to help ensure that occurs.

Don would have wanted it that way.

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - Jun 19,15 
If you want to see what one IL fishing organization recently did to support Quinn's Funds for Fish project, the Forest Preserve District and the memory of Don LaBrose, see the link to the Forest Preserve's update:

https://www.dupageforest.com/fundsforfishupdate/

If you know any members of DRiFT (DuPage River Fly Tyers), be sure to thank them for their incredible generosity! It's involvement from local fishing groups like this that show they get it!

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:46am - Jul 2,15 
For anyone interested in the Funds for Fish (hybrid bluegill) project that Quinn's working on with the DuPage County Forest Preserve District and the progress that he's making on it, here's a bit of an update: he's now pushing the 90% mark towards his original campaign funding goal given several recent donations from folks in the local fishing community.

Quinn is working with the FPD and will be wrapping up his campaign effort on August 31st. Donations made which exceed the original funding goal will result in more fish being stocked so he's hopeful to not only meet the original goal but to exceed it! There are also some local press interviews scheduled with support from local fishing personalities.

The FPD is interested in purchasing the fish and stocking them this year! Very cool!

Dan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Aug 16,15 
How about an update? Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Community Corner » Special Events
Jump to: