Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:28pm - Oct 10,16 
Hello everyone. My name is Angel and I am going to visit the Chicago area in early November of this year. I am from Florida and always wanted to fish up north, so I am looking towards to fishing in the State of Illinois. I am going to be in the Chicago area for 3 days and will have a car, so I am willing to make a drive for a decent chance at catching my first Smallmouth Bass. Any help that you guys can give me on locations to fish for Smallmouth Bass on shore close to Chicago will be appreciated. I will return the favor and take anyone that helps me fishing in the Miami area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:42pm - Oct 10,16 
Wow, tough call......Kankakee River will give you a shot a decent sized small mouth from shore. Dupage river smallies will be a bit smaller, but closer to the chicago area than the kankakee. If you use the search feature on this site and seach for "dupage" or "kankakee" you will find lots of info. To demonstrate some midwestern hospitality I bet someone from this site would even be willing to take you to some spots.

If you had a boat, or were willing to shell out some cash for a guide....Lake Geneva/Lake Michigan would put you on some in the 5lbs+ class.

My first stop would be here (https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B045'12.0%22N+88%C2%B008'01.5%22W/@41.753339,-88.1343078,171m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.753339!4d-88.13376

Then I'd walk a little further downstream and try underneath the bridge that is Hobson Road. If you don't get anything from either spot within 30 mins, I would pack up and head down to the kankakee.

In terms of baits, I have no idea what the smallmouth are hitting on right now. Something that looks like a minnow or is a minnow would probably do the trick.

John 21:10

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:44pm - Oct 10,16 
Bring some waders and fish out of Buffalo Park on the Fox. 1/8oz jig with a black 3" twister. Cast up current and let it drift down. Wait for the "thump".

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01pm - Oct 10,16 
Can't imagine there a better place than the front of Lake Michigan.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:45am - Oct 11,16 
I'll second the lakefront, assuming it's easy for you to get there. I seem to catch smallies nearly every time I fish around the harbors.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:01pm - Oct 11,16 
Mhimes28 wrote:
Wow, tough call......Kankakee River will give you a shot a decent sized small mouth from shore. Dupage river smallies will be a bit smaller, but closer to the chicago area than the kankakee. If you use the search feature on this site and seach for "dupage" or "kankakee" you will find lots of info. To demonstrate some midwestern hospitality I bet someone from this site would even be willing to take you to some spots.

If you had a boat, or were willing to shell out some cash for a guide....Lake Geneva/Lake Michigan would put you on some in the 5lbs+ class.

My first stop would be here (https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B045'12.0%22N+88%C2%B008'01.5%22W/@41.753339,-88.1343078,171m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.753339!4d-88.13376

Then I'd walk a little further downstream and try underneath the bridge that is Hobson Road. If you don't get anything from either spot within 30 mins, I would pack up and head down to the kankakee.

In terms of baits, I have no idea what the smallmouth are hitting on right now. Something that looks like a minnow or is a minnow would probably do the trick.

Thank you for posting this information. I will consider fishing this location during my trip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:04pm - Oct 11,16 
choupiquer wrote:
Bring some waders and fish out of Buffalo Park on the Fox. 1/8oz jig with a black 3" twister. Cast up current and let it drift down. Wait for the "thump".

Thank you for posting this. How do you rate the Smallmouth Bass fishing in Buffalo park? I am new to Smallmouth Bass fishing so I appreciate all the help I can get.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07pm - Oct 11,16 
Handler wrote:
Can't imagine there a better place than the front of Lake Michigan.

Thank you for posting this information. I have read that there is good Smallmouth Bass fishing in the harbors. Which area of Lake Michigan do you recommend I fish to have a good chance of catching a smallmouth bass?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:09pm - Oct 11,16 
Cobbler wrote:
I'll second the lakefront, assuming it's easy for you to get there. I seem to catch smallies nearly every time I fish around the harbors.

Thank you for posting this. Which harbor do you recommend I fish to have a good chance at catching a Smallmouth Bass?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:14pm - Oct 11,16 
I've had good luck at Burnham.Always wanted to try 39th.Saw some big ones swimmin around earlier this year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:19pm - Oct 11,16 
708-er wrote:
I've had good luck at Burnham.Always wanted to 39th.

Thank you for posting this. I will consider fishing the Burnham Harbor. How's the fishing there in early November?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:28pm - Oct 11,16 
I'm not sure. I usually fish in the spring for smallies.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:20am - Oct 12,16 
LM lakefront is definitely a great spot for smallies, including some real pigs. Only problem, November might be a tricky season to get them. I normally fish for browns and steelies this time of the year, so I can't provide useful info. But city harbors like 31st, Burnham and Belmont are all great spots for smallies. I am sure other people on the forum will have helpful tips on how to target them this late in the year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31am - Oct 12,16 
I assume you're coming for another reason, because November is not a great time to come for fishing. That wouldn't stop me from going out, but it's something to be aware of. Fishing might be really slow. In fact, you should plan on fishing really slow.

Last edited by Handler on 10:19am - Oct 12,16, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Oct 12,16 
Really Slow.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Oct 12,16 
Lake Michigan can be very humbling for smallies in the fall. If you aren't very mobile to keep moving around to find the fish you could end up with a few zero fish days.

Subscriber and Affiliate
Subscriber and Affiliate

Post Posted: 04:05pm - Oct 16,16 
Just my advice. Fall is a awesome time of year for smallmouth but it's a terrible time for a shore fisherman since the fish seem to move out to deeper, more main lake areas. If your going to try I would suggest fishing blade baits or 3/8 oz. tubes that time of year. You must stay on or near the bottom at all times. Fish the tubes very slow on the bottom at all times, cast the blade baits as far as you can in random areas, keep it moving at all times.

I updated my site if you guys are bored check it out. Lots more pics to come. http://www.captainsteiger.com/pages/cur ... ssions.php

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16am - Oct 17,16 
If weather stays warm the dupage river is a good spot for smallies . I have a canoe we could use . I've never fished the dupe in November , but based on reports on this site I've seen smallest caught that time of year , I don't fish that river often , it's a bit of a mission for me coming from the city , but have had some very good days there . As far as shore fishing on the big Lake , that's a bad time of year , if your willing to spend the money there are guides that can take you offshore, talk to Capt Ralph .... hit me up with a PM . I'll be happy to take you fishing . Also gonna be in Miami for a few days after Thanksgiving to visit my cousin , but Going to spend a few days fishing the canals down there for peacocks . It would be awesome to have a local to fish with .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Oct 26,16 
708-er wrote:
I'm not sure. I usually fish in the spring for smallies.

Ok. I will do further research on locations to fish for Smallmouth Bass. Thank you for your help and let me know if you plan on going fishing to South Florida in the next couple months.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:24pm - Oct 26,16 
brown addicted wrote:
LM lakefront is definitely a great spot for smallies, including some real pigs. Only problem, November might be a tricky season to get them. I normally fish for browns and steelies this time of the year, so I can't provide useful info. But city harbors like 31st, Burnham and Belmont are all great spots for smallies. I am sure other people on the forum will have helpful tips on how to target them this late in the year.

Thank you for your help, let me know if you plan on fishing South Florida in the next couple of months.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: