Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:15pm - May 17,17 
Do smallies in LM typically stick to harbors, or would you say they come in generally shallow everywhere? Also, are they still catchable from shore throughout the summer and beginning of fall? I have never fished for smallies in the big pond, but it sure sounds like a blast!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:48pm - May 17,17 
Smallies relate to the entire sea wall running north to south. No need to hit a harbor. Fishing tends to be better spring and late summer/early fall and really slows into November-Feb. Definitely productive all summer.

It will take a few trips to a given area to figure out how they are relating to the structure. Of course, you need to dial in the depth, speed, presentation, etc. Some days are better than others, today I fished my regular spot and got skunked. It happens.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:24am - May 18,17 
Thank you for the info! I will post a report if I catch any nice sallies in LM.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:28am - May 18,17 
Also, here's something to keep in mind. Smallmouth are spawning now. Targeting bedding bass is popular (and stupid), but when you pull a bass off of it's bed the eggs and fry stand no chance against gobies and other fish. It takes seconds for a nest to get cleared out thus putting a dent in the future population.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:01pm - May 18,17 
Bronzebacker wrote:
Also, here's something to keep in mind. Smallmouth are spawning now. Targeting bedding bass is popular (and stupid), but when you pull a bass off of it's bed the eggs and fry stand no chance against gobies and other fish. It takes seconds for a nest to get cleared out thus putting a dent in the future population.

I agree with Bronzebacker 100%. The pre-spawn and post-spawn smallies are the ones to target. Once they are on the beds, you'll see guys sight fish the same fish in 6 ft of water over and over and over again. It's really not sporting as the fish put up no fight after being caught 8 times that day alone, and you're pulling the bass off the bed which makes the eggs and fry easy dinner for gobies.

I'm sure there are guys who can justify catching bass on the beds, but I'm not one of them.

I'll be the guy fishing for carp when the bass are bedding, so snicker and roll your eyes as you walk on by. I've caught my smallies already. I dont mind catching 10 fish between 8 and 30 lbs, its good fun.

STAY THIRSTY, My Friends.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:42pm - May 18,17 
Here's a good podcast about the Smallmouth Bass. Lots of facts, and especially information about water temps, spawning, and why you should not purposely target male smallies while they are spawning and nesting. Enjoy: http://flyfishingconsultant.libsyn.com/ ... mouth-bass

Board index » Lake Michigan » Bass
Jump to: