Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:19pm - Apr 13,18 
So I took two weeks off, not necessarily to go fishing, back in February when I put in my vacation request I did not know the weather will be like this and the powerline season will be a long one. Had to drive my wife around for two doctor's appointments on Monday, so I had four completely free days to go fishing. As usual, I drove to Montrose, quite early in the morning ... could barely sleep, kept waking up every 20 minutes on all four nights. Arrived there between 5:25 and 6:30 in the four days. Stayed on the sanctuary area, all the way to the wall leading to the shoe on Tuesday, moving to the right each day... the point on Wednesday, the "small point" yesterday and closer to the ramp today. Fished two lines, 6 feet deep, alternating minnows and crawlers on first two days, two crawlers and a minnow pattern yesterday and only crawlers today. Wednesday was the best, had a limit by 9, had to give the smaller fish away to the guys next to me in order to keep fishing, then limited by 12:30. Tuesday I had 4 fish on my stringer then I got a double, yesterday it was the slowest day, got my limit by 1 PM, today I limited out by 11, then got the 6th (give-away, I only have 5 hooks on my stringer, will never keep more than 5) fish as I was pulling the first line. For a total of 25 fish (one 6lbs brown and the rest of them coho) it was the best week of my life as far as fishing goes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49pm - Apr 13,18 
Good job! Nice to have some fish in the freezer!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Apr 14,18 
shaguna, you can fish next to me any day. :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:15pm - Apr 14,18 
Dang man I had a great week just by reading this :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:21pm - Apr 15,18 
Congrats on your week of positivity!! I’m not sure there’s anything more satisfying than a successful fishing trip. :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:37pm - Apr 15,18 
Congrats on the great week! Young kids keep me away from fishing as much as I used to. All my free time is prettt much deserved for hunting.

Also, please ignore the trolls who try to put you down and your success. Always comical to see “that guy” who tries to interpret the rules for everyone else. Heck of a week that shiusknr he downplayed by anyone!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39am - Apr 16,18 
Way to go! So nice reading this on a day like this especially.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01am - Apr 16,18 
Way to go shag. Enjoy the Feast. :allah

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:45am - Apr 17,18 
Way to go! Thanks for reporting. I've been wanting to fish the lake front for two weeks now and can't seem to get a day in. This weather sucks but you made the best of it!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:51am - Apr 18,18 
Sweet catch Shag and thanks for the report.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58pm - Apr 19,18 
Great job! I keep on getting called in for work and haven't made a day yet this power lining season.

Marty

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:31am - Apr 24,18 
I submitted a question to the statewide conservation police, and an officer was nice enough to give me a call to answer the question on this issue. He told me that as soon as you catch the fish and take it into your possession, it counts towards your limit. If you gift it to another angler, even if immediately, it still counts towards your limit, as well as the limit of the angler you gave it to. I know you were intending to follow the rules, so I wanted to point this out so everyone was clear as to what the rules actually are.

Thanks for the report, hopefully they continue on their trek North for the rest of us!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:46am - Apr 24,18 
tinyfisher wrote:
I submitted a question to the statewide conservation police, and an officer was nice enough to give me a call to answer the question on this issue. He told me that as soon as you catch the fish and take it into your possession, it counts towards your limit. If you gift it to another angler, even if immediately, it still counts towards your limit, as well as the limit of the angler you gave it to. I know you were intending to follow the rules, so I wanted to point this out so everyone was clear as to what the rules actually are.

Thanks for the report, hopefully they continue on their trek North for the rest of us!

How do these rules apply to charter boats? Never saw a Captain keep track of individual catches, only total bag limits.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 11:06am - Apr 24,18 
Bulldawg wrote:
How do these rules apply to charter boats? Never saw a Captain keep track of individual catches, only total bag limits.

I believe that specific question is defined in the regulations under harvest:

"HARVEST
Any aquatic life taken into possession from any waters
of the State by any method. Harvested fish
from more than one angler may be kept on the
same stringer or in the same basket or livewell, assuming
all harvest and length limits are followed."

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:27pm - Apr 24,18 
Im curious if anyone has ever been checked and the IDNR asked exactly what fish each individual caught. I know that this has to be done with dunk hunting but never heard of it on a charter boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:29am - Apr 25,18 
I've never been on a charter and seen it asked as to which fish belonged to who (or on a muti person trolling trip for that matter). While I think the interpretation is correct, as above, that if you take it out of the water, it counts on your daily limit no matter what you do with it, I think the agernts realize it's very hard to enforece.

NOW that being said having lived at the yacht and trolled daily for years, I knew a lot of the local agents very well back in the day, and one day they boarded us and were just chit chatting and mentioned how they had busted some guys for going over the perch limit by watching them from shore with high power binoculars, then got in there boat and went out there. they were spotting people from the wall at the Hammond Marina. So you never know I guess.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:43pm - Apr 28,18 
tinyfisher wrote:

So I was right all along... Cool! :rulz

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: