Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Nov 9,17 
was cleaning out the garage and came across my powerlining gear. only out a few times last year with no fish. my question is how deep do you guys set your bobbers? Mine our set at about 4 -5 ft. I don't know if that's good or i'm too deep. Any help would be appreciated. Cant wait to get back out there

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:26pm - Nov 9,17 
I did pretty good this season at 3 and 4'. Play with the depth and watch results, people will feed you tons of crap and everyone swears it's the best depth hand down.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:17pm - Nov 9,17 
I almost always start with 3 big bobbers connected directly to the line with zero leader. If it’s slow I’ll take the middle bobber off or start adding some leader line to the bobbers. Not saying you won’t catch them deep on some days but spring hos are generally going to be in the top 5-10 feet of the column. Longer leaders on your bobbers + the natural bow in the line means you could be fishing below the fish and salmon feed up. When I’m trolling in the spring for hos our deepest baits are often 10”

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58am - Nov 10,17 
I usually have my bobber lengths at 26” and have been very successful for 30 + years. Usually I start out with one power line with two bobbers, one between the rubber and the mono leader and one between the mono leader and the backing. Then I put the second line out and only attach one bobber between the rubber and the mono leader. The rest of day will determine whether I adjust them depending on which one is getting hits/fish. But the bobber lengths are always the same. Like it’s been stated there is a belly that forms between the bobbers along with the leader lengths of your hooks. The belly in between the bobbers is determined by how taunt you have the backing to the bell, how much current there is and how windy it is that day. Most fish are going to be in the top 8’ or less depths during the spring. Take an hour one day and walk along the powerliners. Most guys love to talk about this type of fishing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:18am - Nov 12,17 
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm going to go shorter on mine. I think i was too deep.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03am - Nov 13,17 
I love when the powerline subject gets active. I have 6 feet from bobber to hook. Yes, there is a bow that will form in line, also current will lifts the baits as well. The other thing is to sometimes hold your line and play with it. As in pull it in slowly hand over hand and then let it back out. Jigging it or just plain holding it sometimes you just feel the bite and react. Sometimes that's what you need to do. I was out once and the fish kept hitting and I kept missing them. Holding the line in my hand made the difference. Hope this helps.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond » Powerlining
Jump to: