Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:46am - Aug 26,13 
Honda Cat....I have a 1996 Lund Pro-V with 150 Evinrude 2 stroke main power and a 1996 9.9 Rude 4 stroke as a kicker. My problem with the kicker started last year with the motor starting and then dying at idle or under power if I was fast enough on the throttle. Both motors run off the internal tank and the oil injection is working fine on the 150. The gas is water separated by filter and I have not seen any H2O at filter change.
It was working fine after a new fuel pump was installed but after the boat was launched this spring the problem started again.
The motors were winterized, lower units, fogged and stored in an unheated barn with batteries on a trickle charger.
Any thoughts? My fishing has been limited due to some health problems and a hospital stint but I would like to make the last of the King run and fall walleye.
Thanks

Mike
AKA Mike's Place

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:42pm - Aug 26,13 
water separating filters are pretty much just debris filters if you use ethanol. I would drain the tank and start with fresh fuel. what comes out will surprise you. then you do the plugs and go on from there. ever get water in your car gas tank? add alcohol and the water is dispersed and works, right? did it get caught by the filter on the car?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:01pm - Aug 26,13 
The 150 runs fine right?

Before you buy any parts u need to check three things
Are u getting fuel to the spark plugs? If u turn over a bunch of times on choke are the plugs wet when you pull them
Are those spark plugs firing? get a spark tester to test the cap and wire
Are you sucking air? And I don't mean through the fuel line.

Usually a plug check will tell the problem... Is is black, tan, or white

If all seems good and the plugs are either grey/black or tan then check for water or ethanol damage.
If I was to guess u may have a clogged jet in the carb but you won't know unless u check those three things.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Aug 26,13 
I have a similar set up but with Merc power. The 150 starts and runs great. So does the 9.9 - in the driveway. Take the 18' Lund to the lake and its a different story. Use the 150 to get out a bit then its time to silence it and listen to the soft sound of the 9.9 4stroke. Until I sorted through the fuel pressure the 4stroke was hard to start, after the 150 had its say, and almost impossible to keep running. Gotta use and keep using the squeeze bulb to make it run - for 3 to 5 minutes. Then it seems to run fine and will run fine again if I move locations using the big engine and go back to the trolling motor. So maybe pay some attention to the pressure on the fuel feed line? And hope you make it out there for those tasty BIG ones.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:08pm - Aug 26,13 
sory I did not see this post earlier
but my best guess on what to do with out seeing the motor
first try hooking up a portable tank to see if problem goes away if it does focus your attention on the boat fuel system
if the problem stays the same carb rebuild would be my next step to confirm all passages/jets are clear and clean check valves for those motors tend to stick causing this sort of problem
get out there now that your feeling better

frank

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47am - Aug 27,13 
My 2 stroke 225 seemed to pull the fuel out of my 9.9 so I installed a shut-off and separate bulb on ea. line and the problem seems to have gone away. Just got to remember to switch valves when you change motors.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01am - Aug 27,13 
team danjer wrote:
My 2 stroke 225 seemed to pull the fuel out of my 9.9 so I installed a shut-off and separate bulb on ea. line and the problem seems to have gone away. Just got to remember to switch valves when you change motors.

this is aslo a possible cause !!
this happens a lot and even if the motors runs rite with out the shut off valves it can damage fuel pumps not having them properly installed and used

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:46am - Aug 27,13 
honda cat wrote:
team danjer wrote:

this is aslo a possible cause !!
this happens a lot and even if the motors runs rite with out the shut off valves it can damage fuel pumps not having them properly installed and used

I installed several check valves in my system to prevent back flow. I have a check valve between the fuel separator and motor for each motor to prevent the situation described. I also found that 1 primer bulb between the tank and the fuel separator does not do a good job with it's internal ball valve, so I added an inline check valve before and after the bulb to resolve the issue I was having with it not being able to pump up after it gets air in it from sitting for a week and draining back to the tank.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14am - Aug 27,13 
Toothy nailed it. Check the plugs and follow his steps.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:05pm - Aug 27,13 
One of the coils bad? I've seen this mistaken for a fuel problem before

Board index » Welcome to Chitown! » Now a Message from our Sponsor's
Jump to: