Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:02am - Dec 6,12 
Roller trailers are nice make cranking up a boat easy
but should NOT be used on a ramp that cant float the back of the boat
it’s all about floating the boat!!!!

Does not matter if you have a roller or a bunk trailer its all about floating the back of the boat where all the weight is
there is a big danger of some serious damage to boat that low water can expose us to
the back of the boat NEEDS to float off the trailer regardless if its a roller trailer or a bunk trailer if the back of the boat dont float up find another ramp regardless if its a roller or bunk
recently we have had some customers (more than one) and friends with roller trailer cut their boats loose on roller trailer in water that was not deep enough to float the back of the boat as the weight come off the trailer the stern tilts down gets jammed in the sand rip’s the transducers off damages the stern drive transom bracket bends the transom on some aluminum boats some just get stuck
But what makes it especially bad then they find out their insurance co has a exception for dropping the boat on a launch ramp that they clain tecnically is what has happened in the shallow water
OUCH!!!!!!!
a bunk trailer tends to sit lower and usually a boat won’t come off on a ramp even if the front line is cut loose roller trailer should be considered a advantage in retrieving a boat more so than launching in shallow water

hope this post can help some of the members here avoid a potentially

BAD DAY!

think spring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:12am - Dec 6,12 
That's some good advice...more than once I've seen boats with their transom on the ground and bow up in the air because it rolled off the trailer. And for those who undo the winch on their bunk trailers before launching, keep them attached until you get to the water's edge, especially this time of year. Icy bunks will let the boat slip right off, just like rollers!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:37am - Dec 6,12 
I have been working with the Chicago harbors to lower the chains on the metal grats to increase the angel of the ramp at diversy harbor. When originally installed it looks like they made it adjustable, but no one has made the adjustment with the low water. Lets see where I get with this?!?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Dec 6,12 
Was able to talk to the operations manager about the Diversey ramp. Below is his description of the launch ramp which I think you'll find interesting:

"The launch ramps at Diversey were put in in the mid 40s, they were designed with the mean water level in mind, not what we have now. With the dropping water levels over the years in 2000 it was decided to put temporary extensions on the ramps utilizing exiting bottom contour configurations. The old wooden trailer stops were cut out and bridge decking with an over hanging lip were positioned at each ramp. they are resting on the original ruble and toe stone that was used to prevent erosion, this cannot be removed. Unfortunately they cannot be lowered, what you see is what you get. The chains that are mentioned are the temporary stops put in that are actually a heavy I Beam hanging down in the water inside of the end supports for the ramps. This was the only way the stops could be put in. The center ramp does have a tilt to it that cannot be corrected, until we had the extreme record setting low water levels this was not a problem. We cannot lower the left side because it is at least a 20 ton boulder. This is the lowest the water has ever been. I have been on the lakefront for 45 years, this is the worst."

In light of this, I would recommend launching at 31st Street. The ramps are steeper and not affected by the low water levels we've seen elsewhere. Apologies about the inconvenience Tim. These water levels are the lowest we've ever seen.

Thanks,

Matt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Dec 6,12 
Where is 31st st ramp located ? Is it open currently ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:41pm - Dec 8,12 
ouch!

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:02am - Dec 10,12 
muskyman wrote:
Where is 31st st ramp located ? Is it open currently ?

31st and the lake and it is open and free.

Board index » Welcome to Chitown! » Now a Message from our Sponsor's
Jump to: