Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - May 17,19 
DNR were out in the North Unit this week shocking all the pits with ramps .... talked to them at Bullhead launch on thursday ...asked how the results were .... gills are small..crappies are few.... bass are holding there own .... in one word was told pits getting fished out ....to many people keeping fish and not letting them spawn ..... Illinois NOT doing much stocking !!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17pm - May 17,19 
Are those lakes managed by the state or the county?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:14pm - May 19,19 
Keeping everything you catch is common in this area. Since moving to Braidwood, I've seen many
fish go right in the fish basket no matter the size. Since I'm originally from the Chicago burbs, catch
and release is ingrained in my mindset. When I tell people what I let go, they think I'm nuts. I tell
them you take the big fish out, the best of the gene pool, you're hurting the ecosystem. When I explain
it that way, they say they never looked at it that way. Makes them think. But tell that to someone who
drives hours to fish, I'm sure a full basket for dinner is what's important to their ecosystem.

I'm not denying there right to keep their limit. It's just an over-fished area, water's everywhere, that's
why I moved here. Fishermen everywhere too, they get the weekends, and I catch and release during
the week.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:51pm - May 20,19 
with no enforcement there are no rules !!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:32pm - May 21,19 
You are certainly right about that. I've only ever seen one DNR vehicle at Braidwood and he
never even got out of his car. And ticks aren't a problem at Braidwood. So walking into either
of the Mazonia units is asking way too much. Checking the ramps being closed when they're
supposed to be is it.

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with a IDNR officer who gave me his card and asked
if I would email a good word to his boss about his efforts checking licenses in an attempt to keep
his job. Everybody knows Illinois is beyond broke. The only time I see IDNR officers doing their
job is the trout opener.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:02pm - May 22,19 
UglyStick wrote:
You are certainly right about that. I've only ever seen one DNR vehicle at Braidwood and he
never even got out of his car. And ticks aren't a problem at Braidwood. So walking into either
of the Mazonia units is asking way too much. Checking the ramps being closed when they're
supposed to be is it.

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with a IDNR officer who gave me his card and asked
if I would email a good word to his boss about his efforts checking licenses in an attempt to keep
his job. Everybody knows Illinois is beyond broke. The only time I see IDNR officers doing their
job is the trout opener.

They were regulars at Navy Pier and along the Chicago River when the Perch were inshore last Fall/Winter. They're around, but no where near enough...

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: