Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:20pm - Aug 24,17 
Have a little bass club derby down on Evergreen Saturday. Never fished it...ever. Any advice?? My partner and I are usually pretty good at figuring something out on a new lake, but figured I'd throw out a shameless plea for some free info.. :lol:

Thanks

Alex

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:47am - Aug 27,17 
Report from Evergreen Saturday. Bass fishing was tough. My partner and I did terrible in the tournament. The rest of the field had a hard time also but there were some boats that caught a few quality fish. Fished the west end of the lake, water temp 75-76, stained water, water level was down. For those of you who have never been, ill share what I learned. Evergreen seems to be lacking vegetation in my opinion. Plenty of rip rap shore, plenty of lay down, only patches of weeds, or narrow weedlines that extend a couple feet off shore. Lots of schooling bait in open water. Our tactic was the same as what everyone else was doing which was spinner baits and plastics around wood and weed clumps. Didn't mark any fish deeper. One of our comrades was there early last week and caught 30 keepers on anything he could throw at them. His analysis was that the 5 degree cooler water temp compared to earlier in the week threw the fish off. All in all we had a great time, lake was interesting. I'll definitely be back to explore some more. Also, there were 4 muskies boated in the tournament on spinner baits, so if you want musky, go there.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Normal IL - 2007 Black Alumacraft Classic 165CS, 60 HP 4S Yamaha

Post Posted: 03:46pm - Dec 17,17 
Haven't been to the site in a few months, that is the reason for this late post.

About weeds in Evergreen, there are very few weeds in any of the lakes in central Illinois. I attended a seminar put on by the DNR and they admitted that for some reason they cannot grow weeds in the lakes here in Central Illinois. In fact they are going to actually try to introduce invasive species just for that reason. I am a transplant due to a job change and I will not stay down here when I retire. Fishing sucks, the locals admit it. The only way you can do well is fish the strip mine pits (which are small and privately owned). DNR said that for the most part Bass average 1.5 to 2 pounds in most of the lakes, there are a few lakes that average 3 pounds.

BTW, saw the biggest snake of my 50 years fishing, in Evergreen. Freaked me out, because it actually came out of the water like a serpent 3 feet!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:35pm - Dec 17,17 
If want good info on Evergreen,pm the Crappie Professor. Great guide,you want a great education where the fish are,hire him.Fishing only sucks until you learn patterns.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:39pm - Dec 17,17 
Also check his posts on panfish anyone

Board index » Lakes » I-80 South
Jump to: