Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31am - Jan 25,18 
I know there have been a few posts over the years, but just wondering if there are any suggestions out there. We're going to drive down in March, as opposed to flying, and that enables me to bring my saltwater rod/reel & stuff, and try some fishing while my wife & daughter look for shells. Reading about species such as snook (I know they strongly encourage C&R), redfish, sea trout, sheepshead, various snappers ,..wouldn't mind keeping a fish or two and grilling it up. Any suggestions as far as techniques, good accessible shore spots (Blind Pass?), bait & lure & bait shop suggestions? Not really targeting a specific species at this point, it'll be more "throw something out, let's see what I can catch".

I know the causeway has been suggested, but I'm partial to Sanibel/Captiva - specific... not there for that long, so probably don't want to tell the wife & daughter "I'm going fishing, cya this evening!" :)

They mention the Sanibel lighthouse pier... anything good there?

I see Tarpon Bay pontoon rental as a possibility too, maybe for a few hours/half day.

Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Jan 25,18 
Went 3 years ago. Drove down as well. Fished lighthouse pier and beach, fished under the causeway on Sanibel, but it was walking distance from the condo we rented. Fished blind pass which was phenomenal for snook. Caught a 6 foot 180lb Bull shark from the pier behind the condo. When you get into town, skip the bait box as they purely prey on tourists and instead go another half mile down the main drag to Whitneys bait and tackle. Whitney is incredibly helpful and has the best prices and bait compared to the competition. If you can, bring a cast net to blind pass for bait and pitch jigs tipped with greenbacks into the bridge pilings, you wont be disappointed.

SC

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:55pm - Jan 25,18 
Been going to southwest on vacation for a number of years now. I would always fish the passes and piers. This last year I just fished the beach and it was great. Early morning you can catch a number of different species around the beach. Save a lady fish from the morning, freeze it, and come back at night to use as cut bait. You'll be amazed at how many sharks are around at night.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:57pm - Jan 25,18 
went to sanibel last year and am going down again this year. ding darling was great for sheepshead. just drive along and park at a fishing spot. check the hours for the gate. its only one road. they will steal your shrimp with ease so get more than you think you need. i liked the folks at bait box but maybe ill try whitneys this year. i freaking love that island.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:30pm - Jan 25,18 
BTW Those sheephead aren't the ones you guys get in fresh water. These sheppies have a set of chompers that look just like a sheep teeth. We like to call them bay snapper because they are delicious. A little difficult to clean but well worth it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:22pm - Jan 25,18 
How far into the water are you guys getting ? I was down there a few years ago and I didn't fish, but I'm going again at the end of march and I plan on fishing. Anyone use a fly rod ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:25pm - Jan 25,18 
I watched a guy fishing ankle deep casting a few feet out and catching snook. I casted as far as I could for the sharks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16am - Jan 26,18 
You can definitely find snook with the flyrod on the beaches...especially early mornings. Fish the troughs. Don't wade out very far if at all....they'll sometimes be in the first trough. Takes work but with practice you can sight fish them. Always a good change for jacks, etc with the long rod as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:09pm - Jan 28,18 
thanks guys!

what's the lightest # test you used down there? If I have a setup with , say 30# and one with 15#,... ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:29pm - Jan 28,18 
you guys all shore fish ? Anyone use a kayak ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:23am - Jan 29,18 
That's what I used. Light fluorocarbon leader for the snook and sight fishing. Sharks needed a steel leader.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Jan 29,18 
I was able to do visit last summer and spent way too much time fishing, It was a great experience.

THe light house pier at the SE part of the island had lots and lots of action. Cut bait for big snook and the catfish were endless.

After a few days of talking with the locals I switched to pompono jigs and was able to land a few decent pomps, snapper and a trout.

I seen big sharks caught, 6 footers. And seen a few big rays hooked but never landed. If your into big sharks this is the spot. But you better be prepared, me and my cousin were broken off about 5 times, without even a fighting chance on our great lakes tackle.

All the locals catch their own bait.

THe bridge between captiva and sannibel had siimilar action but with out the big sharks and rays. Sheephead, catfish, and smaller snook.

Ding Darling is not an option in the summer. Too hot and no fish. Perhaps March will be better.

At night we hung out at the condo beach and waded out to waist level, then casted as far as we can. Then we'll walk our rods back to the beach and wait until the bzzzzzzzzz of the baitrunner... Lost some monsters that way also but landed 2 great snook and more and more endless catfish.

regrettably we ignored the 3 or 4 causeway islands between mainland and sannibel but i really want to try there next time.

MArch should be better. Good luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57am - Jan 31,18 
In looking at a bunch of photographs, it looks like a set of grips is definitely in order. More teeth on them saltwater critters... Is this good enough? https://www.thefishgrip.net/shop/shop_t ... nHmzE2oupo

I looked up "Boga" grips, but that appears out of my realistic price range... these are like $15.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:34pm - Jan 31,18 
Those work great on specks, reds, snapper, tarpon and snook. But these fish can also easily be handled without the grips. None of the grips work on sharks. If you do catch some small sharks, DO NOT grab them south of the dorsal fin! They aren't like other fish. The will intentionally try to take a chunk of your arm.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Jan 31,18 
Great Boga style grips for $7

https://www.piscifun.com/collections/da ... ip-gripper

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: