Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:15pm - Nov 7,17 
Heading to Clearwater for thanksgiving, any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 09:15am - Nov 8,17 
I will be there the same time but in Madeira beach area. Not sure where to go but head boat out of hubbards or fishing pier.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:17pm - Nov 8,17 
My family and I vacationed at Clearwater Beach this past summer. The water stays shallow a long way out. I paddled out more than a mile and was only in 12-15ft of water. I was told by a couple locals that the area doesn't hold inshore fish year-round. Everything is passing through while migrating somewhere else. You need to be flexible and fish for what's in the area at that time. Those guys were fly-fishing for tarpon and told me that season was tailing off.

I caught a bunch of catfish off the beach at night. We tried the pier a few nights also, but didn't do well. We also did a party boat trip out of the Clearwater Marina. You can either rent the party boat rod or bring your own. If I were to do it again, I'd bring my own rod. The party boat rods were strung up with some pretty heavy line and I think it hurt fishing. Someone else in our condo told me the crew on their boat caught a lot more fish and were using lighter tackle.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:39pm - Nov 8,17 
I have fished mostly offshore from clearwater. But lots of inshore opportunities.

Are you going to have/have access to a boat? If its just you and a fishing rod and you don't want to do party boats, ask a local shop(buy something) where you can wade or fish shore. Otherwise go to a pier. Should be better action then mid summer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:15pm - Nov 8,17 
Best bet. Stay on the beach and enjoy a bunch of drinks with tiny umbrellas in them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00am - Nov 9,17 
Thanks guys. I'll be there for 6 nights so ideally one day I'd get out on a charter boat. The rest I'd most likely fish from shore or try to find some water inland for bass. I plan on brining 2 telescopic setups one outfitted with 6lb test and one with medium heavy with 15lb.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:53am - Nov 9,17 
Fish the bridges and piers. Jetty Fishing is also very productive but is a PITA to fish comfortably. There are piers and bridges all over that are open to the public. Grouper Cobia and Tarpon are hot right now off the bridges af night. If you are Fishing lighter you can target Trout and Snapper. Maybe bring 1 light line setup and 1 setup for something bigger? You can carry on 2 piece rods on the plane with no issues.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Nov 9,17 
Your light set up should be the 15#. Trout, reds, and the small black snapper. The other set up should be braid or at least 20# for tarpon, grouper, sharks. Even a 20" trout will be too big for the 6#

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:51pm - Nov 9,17 
take the headboat out of huddards,take the 39 hrs. trip its a good one. bigfishross

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: