Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57am - Jul 17,17 
I'll be in Denver for a wedding in late September and am making a vacation out of it for a week.
Any tips on Rivers/Creeks/Streams where there is solid fly fishing that time of year? I'll be packing all my fly gear with me and renting a car so I'd be willing to travel up to an hour-ish outside the Denver area.
Thanks!
-Adam

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:26am - Jul 17,17 
The Platte River. If you do any fishing on the inland ponds you can use a female black gant size 16. If all they have are males, cut off the red tail. This can be fished on a spinning reel with a bubble using 4 lb test and a 6 ft leader. Fill bubble half way with water and after casting reel in slow like reeling in a spoon. If fly fishing with a black gnat you can skim it across the water. Other flies in the same size that would be good would be a mosquito, or hares ear. Oh, and in September on The Platte River, the Kokanee salmon run. They aren't very big, but are red with a green head (landlock sockey). For them I would guess egg patters or wooley buggers would work.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Jul 17,17 
blackjaw wrote:
The Platte River. If you do any fishing on the inland ponds you can use a female black gant size 16. If all they have are males, cut off the red tail. This can be fished on a spinning reel with a bubble using 4 lb test and a 6 ft leader. Fill bubble half way with water and after casting reel in slow like reeling in a spoon. If fly fishing with a black gnat you can skim it across the water. Other flies in the same size that would be good would be a mosquito, or hares ear. Oh, and in September on The Platte River, the Kokanee salmon run. They aren't very big, but are red with a green head (landlock sockey). For them I would guess egg patters or wooley buggers would work.

Awesome, Thanks that's very helpful. I love catching new species too. I'm not too concerned about size cause I've only fly fished the Driftless up north and nothing I've seen has surpassed 14" (yet). Are there any specific access points that are easy to get to?

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: