Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:07pm - Sep 2,20 
Friend of mine fished today deeper with suckers and got 7 Northern, 1 was 24" and the others were between 36" and 39". When I was there last week, I saw the northern limit has changed. Perhaps that has helped the overall size?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:03pm - Sep 2,20 
I saw a seminar from a fisheries biologist. What is going on is there is a parasite that just affects the northerns. It's life cycle goes through the ciscoes and what they want to do is fish the northerns down to nothing, wait a couple years for the life cycles of the parasites to be interrupted and die and then re-introduce northerns. I don't think there is a size limit either.

They don't want to touch the ciscoes because those are what makes the muskies, walleyes etc so big.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:24pm - Sep 3,20 
I was at that meeting with the biologist as well. I think he even made a comment to the lines of "I hope you guys have a pike tourney one day and keep them all". He would rather turn it into a trophy musky fishery, which has already happened in my opinion. The size limit change is new to this year, so no way that has had an affect on anything, except maybe lowering the overall population. I have caught some tank pike out of Geneva and I have also caught a lot infected with the parasite. Big heads and small skinny bodies. They look malnourished. I believe it comes from bird crap that infects the Ciscos and in turn affect the pike. Only pike for some reason, no other species. They used to commercial fish Geneva for Cisco years ago but heard they stopped because of the parasite. Sounds like your friend had a pretty good outing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - Sep 4,20 
That parasite was in the 1,000 islands in the '90s and, while mostly pike, I saw largemouth bass with the same condition. We caught a 20" largemouth that weight 2 3/4#. Full size heads and bodies that looked like the muscles had been sucked out of them. This is the first time I've heard of a cause.

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!"
In case you are wondering, I sold the Grady. Oh well, everybody makes mistakes....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00am - Sep 4,20 
I think 2 different parasites. From this article ;
https://www.nwherald.com/2016/09/14/sar ... n/adaody9/

The northern pike picture is grim. It seems that Geneva is victim to a tapeworm that only affects northern pike. The ciscoes carry the grubs of the tapeworm, which turn into adult tapeworms when eaten by pike.

The tapeworms live off the food intake of the pike. They rob the pike of 50 percent of the nutrients the pike eat. This causes Geneva pike to be skinny and stunted. Geneva pike do not get to the sizes they ought to in a fertile body of water of Geneva’s size. Only 2 percent of Geneva’s pike are more than 32 inches.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35am - Sep 9,20 
No doubt the number of pike is down from the past from when anglers would slam large pike deep on suckers during the summer months. I do find the 2% of pike over 30 inches interesting though because it goes against my results out there. I do not catch large numbers of pike, but regularly catch incidental pike when fishing for other species and 90% of them are 32 plus and they usually look they have bowling balls in their stomachs. These are very healthy fish not impacted by the virus. If they are looking at eradicating the pike, good luck.

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: