Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Apr 20,17 
Anyone heading to the Detroit river this weekend? This is my first time fishing there. Anybody been out lately? Have any advice for a first timer?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:11am - Apr 20,17 
Have plenty of 3/4 oz jigs. Get some Fin-s minnow baits at local bait shop. Minnows are not necessary. Follow the crowd and watch how the locals jig. See whats working. Start in Trenton Channel down from the power plant. East or west side. Follow the crowd. You can also run to steel mills if that does not work. Follow the crowd. The current and snags will test your river slipping skills. When snagged let the other folks in the boat know to pull up. When you are not fishing and vertical they will quickly snag. Most quality fish areas are community holes. Don't be afraid to fish with the crowds. Be respectful when motoring to do another slipping pass.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Apr 20,17 
I was there last weekend. plenty of fish in the river system. however nothing big, all males seem to be
in there in the 13"-19" range. Most guys are limiting out on these eater fish. I fished the Trenton channel out of elizabeth park.
They'll be a lot of boats there but this area usually produces. went north to mud island hit the deeper channels
drifting buoy to bouy. Did well up there. Also launched out of Erie metro one day. hit some of the island areas at the mouth of the river
picked up some fish. You should do fine. make sure your early to the launch it fills up fast. no later than 6:30am

baits can't go wrong with Fin s minnow like Ukie1 said. Most plastics seem to work I like the Yum paddle tail worms
Grab plenty of 3/4oz and 1 oz jigs and stinger hooks. I don't think color matters on the jigs but some guys do.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:48am - Apr 24,17 
We got back yesterday from our trip and had a great time. Fished all day on Friday and caught all small males. We ran into some nice white bass in which we easily caught a 2 man limit in about an hour. Lots of fun on light tackle and nobody else was around us. They were thicker than I have ever seen. Literally every cast. Saturday we fished all up and down the river til about 1pm. We only had 3 keepers in the boat that were about 16 inches and lots of toss backs. Watched hundreds of boats and only saw small fish caught. I thought if we wanted to catch bigger fish we may have to head to the lake. So thats what we did fishing petty much blind. We pulled out of the mouth and no boats around for miles. I thought well maybe this is a bad idea. I found some structure on my gps which we went over with the side scan and saw some real nice boulder/rock piles. Started trolling and immediately started catching fish. We got out limit of eyes in a couple of hours all 20-28inchers. About 6 smallies up to 5.6lbs and some white bass. The best part was there was not another boat within site. Finished up the trip strong and had a great time. Ill be back to try this again but will likely come a couple of weeks earlier when more big fish are in the river. Thanks for the tips guys

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10am - Apr 25,17 
Thanks for sharing Karl

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Apr 25,17 
Way to go adapt. Stepping away from the can can often be a wise move in a fishery such as the D/Erie. Wish I'd have caught this thread earlier. I have some info to share. Next time. My 4th year now. we went April 12-15. Tougher go round this year but still caught fish. all <20" except one 27" post spawn female and a nice 36" pike.

Board index » Lakes » Out of State
Jump to: