Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:11pm - Jun 20,19 
tuesday evening fished saganaski and caught a sheepshead. been fishing these forest preserves since i was a kid and never caught or seen one caught. anybody care to chime in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31am - Jun 21,19 
Me personally I wouldn't worry about it they are not an invasive species and are actually native to Illinois, when they get big they put up a hell of a fight too 10lb+. I'm not very familiar with the lake that you're fishing but I know here in DuPage county when we get high water sometime rivers and creeks overflow into some of the fp's and there is now zebra mussles and smallmoulth in one of the lakes I regularly fish.
Semper Fish wrote:
tuesday evening fished saganaski and caught a sheepshead. been fishing these forest preserves since i was a kid and never caught or seen one caught. anybody care to chime in.

Here is the list of invasive species these are the ones you should be worried about
brown trout (Salmo trutta)
Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch)
common carp (Cyprinus carpio)
goldfish (Carassius auratus)
muskellunge (Esox masquinongy)
rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus)
silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix)
striped bass (Morone saxatilis)
threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - Jun 21,19 
Semper Fish wrote:

It's a freshwater drum. It's not invasive or harmful. I've caught them in just about every body of water I've fished in Illinois. No big deal. They fight like a smallmouth, especially when they get bigger.
And uhhh... don't pay attention to the list below. He just copied it from the DNR, apparently not knowing that the majority of the fish on that list are "exotic species" and not "invasive species". Most those fish on his list are stocked in almost all of the bodies of water in Illinois, and most are not harmful to the ecosystem. They're sportfish...

colddriver wrote:
Me personally I wouldn't worry about it they are not an invasive species and are actually native to Illinois, when they get big they put up a hell of a fight too 10lb+. I'm not very familiar with the lake that you're fishing but I know here in DuPage county when we get high water sometime rivers and creeks overflow into some of the fp's and there is now zebra mussles and smallmoulth in one of the lakes I regularly fish.
Semper Fish wrote:

Here is the list of invasive species these are the ones you should be worried about

Those are not all "invasive". Most are considered "exotic". Most have been in this country for a couple hundred years... Invasive is defined as fish that are non-native, and pose a threat to the ecosystem... All of Brown Trout, Chinook, Coho, Musky, Rainbow Trout, and Striped Bass are stocked in Illinois lakes and rivers in some capacity... The common carp was introduced in the late 1800's, and is found in pretty much every single body of water in Illinois. You really shouldn't spread misinformation.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:29am - Jun 21,19 
:gpost
pezdek1 wrote:
Semper Fish wrote:

It's a freshwater drum. It's not invasive or harmful. I've caught them in just about every body of water I've fished in Illinois. No big deal. They fight like a smallmouth, especially when they get bigger.
And uhhh... don't pay attention to the list below. He just copied it from the DNR, apparently not knowing that the majority of the fish on that list are "exotic species" and not "invasive species". Most those fish on his list are stocked in almost all of the bodies of water in Illinois, and most are not harmful to the ecosystem. They're sportfish...

colddriver wrote:
Semper Fish wrote:

Those are not all "invasive". Most are considered "exotic". Most have been in this country for a couple hundred years... Invasive is defined as fish that are non-native, and pose a threat to the ecosystem... All of Brown Trout, Chinook, Coho, Musky, Rainbow Trout, and Striped Bass are stocked in Illinois lakes and rivers in some capacity... The common carp was introduced in the late 1800's, and is found in pretty much every single body of water in Illinois. You really shouldn't spread misinformation.

:gpost

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:46am - Jun 21,19 
:thanks :thanks

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:39pm - Jun 21,19 
Thank you for correcting me sir!
I don't know why I thought the Op thought it was invasive In the first place. Either way a hard fighting fish for sure

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59pm - Jun 21,19 
wasn't really on my radar about being invasive, just wondering if anyone has caught them before in the ccfp lakes, but thanks for the info. and yes it was quite the fight.

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: