Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Apr 9,17 
Woke this Am to the forecast of wind, wind and more wind, I thought it thru pretty well last night and gave into the fact that the pits was to be my destination, and had one of the north unit lakes I fished as a young man when running those hills and the cattails were not a problem, it has a series of fingers off of a long cut, then thru a small opening where another series of fingers begins. My thought was to hide somewhat out of the wind, well it worked to some extent. onto the trip, we started on the cut on the way in to give it a sniff and plucked a couple good gils and a crappie proceeded to fish here and there on the way in. We pulled up into the first set of fingers, point hopped and hit the backs of the coves, same result. I noticed the water temps were just a balmy 48 on the main lake and 50 in here. So onto the skinny cut that connects the next set, squeezed thru barley!!!!as soon as we poped out of the cut water temps jumped 2 degrees, bounced around that set and put a beat down on some very agreeable crappie in the 10 12 inch range, out of the 50 or so we caught 20 that made the cut over 11 and went to the Crisco party planned in the near future. The winds were stiff and relentless, as I have not dropped an anchor since I installed the I-pilot I didn't have my 20lb ricktor on the boat just a 10lb river anchor, so the I-pilot was getting worked over pretty good on spot lock. We fished for about 5 hours with the long run to get to the spot so it was time to give the fish a break and head in, the bigger fish bite shut down and the 8-9 inchers was winding down also. I made my way out and back to the main lake and the 24volt beast got ate up by that wind and for the first time ever it started to drain fast. So whats a guy to do? You got start the big motor and idle back to the ramp with the stares of the other boats saying, well we all know what they were thinking, made it back to the ramp just waiting for the dnr to show up and write me a ticket, but they never did.

The weapon that did the most damage was a pink head chartruse body miny might, tipped wit the wee little crappie minnows from angelo's, I swear some of those minnows hatched on the way to the lake, fished 4ft under a slip float on my rig and under a rocket bobber by my partner, the depth of the fingers averaged 5-7 ft with 9ft being the deep spot, 52 was the warmest water we found. they were scattered all over no real concentration of fish!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:28am - Apr 13,17 
nice detailed report and a well told fish story Hoeh nothing like a crappie fry especially from the still cold water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:58pm - Apr 13,17 
Same winds this weekend. UGH !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:31pm - Apr 13,17 
Love that place hoeh, thanks for posting. When I saw that pic you sent me thought for sure you found a place out of the wind on the h. They looked like the big ones you catch on crank baits out there! Well done.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21am - Apr 16,17 
no cranks John threw some safety pin spinners and roadrunners to no avail when thing started to slow. + Image

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:29pm - Apr 16,17 
Arent you allowed the big motor on some lakes? With no wake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03pm - Apr 16,17 
Couple lakes in the north area couple in the south are no wake

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01pm - Apr 16,17 
Nice pic Hoeh gives me a hankering to try arrowhead tomorrow.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:50am - Apr 17,17 
north unit is electric only pondo eagle and monster are no wake

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: