Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:20pm - Jul 25,17 
To my belief, the DNR stocks Musky in the South pool. Today I took my Mom of all people fishing. Tried for walleye(trolling) and slip bobber with no avail. Before we left, decided to throw on spinner baits for bass. Not far from the dam on the SOUTH side, she hooks into a 38 inch Musky. The Musky got entangled in the net and I hurried as fast as possible to get it out along with the hook really blasted into the corner of the mouth. Took a solid 5 min to get out and went belly up/ so I Jumped out of the boat and looks like I may have revived it. Swam off but I understand in summer, 50/50 odds. Anyway, back to topic. I thought DNR stocked on south part only. Comments welcome

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57am - Jul 26,17 
Nice fish! I hope it makes it.

I know they stock the main pool at Busse. I've seen and talked to the DNR guy surveying muskie with a radio tracker. It wouldn't surprise me if a fish made it over the dam in high water or someone caught it and moved it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:43pm - Jul 26,17 
Your mom is throwing artificial?! And catching musky? Pretty bad ass.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01pm - Jul 26,17 
Actually, we were fishing with slip bobbers with no avail and I said, you want a spinnerbait on before we leave? I put a 3/8 oz chartreuse spinner bait on for bass and she was chucking it like a pro and whomp. There is is... BTW she is 73

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31pm - Jul 27,17 
Musky Jim wrote:
Actually, we were fishing with slip bobbers with no avail and I said, you want a spinnerbait on before we leave? I put a 3/8 oz chartreuse spinner bait on for bass and she was chucking it like a pro and whomp. There is is... BTW she is 73

Awesome

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00pm - Aug 4,17 
Fish and lure tangled in net with lure and obviously you know that a fish can do this in warm water after a fight. Bottom line fish made it and as we all know this happens with warmer summer water(belly up from lactic acid). It was not a quick fight

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:07am - Aug 5,17 
Even if the muskie died I'm sure there's more in there, and I mean what can ya really do about it? Either way she got a nice fish and did a nice job, that can be a hard body of water to fish sometimes

Support Staff

Post Posted: 10:22am - Aug 5,17 
Musky Baits wrote:
BTW, over 90% of muskies landed are caught on gear not made for muskie by people not targeting muskie.
Be prepared for purposeful break-offs, if you care about the health of the fish over boating it at any cost.

You keep spewing this like it's fact. ..what's your source for this stat please? Do you really think a fish swimming around with a spinnerbait lodged in its lip dragging yards of line is better off? I agree with gearing up to the species targeted, but incidental catches happen and telling people to break off when they hook something bigger than they're geared for is a bit much.

Congrats to mom on what very well could be a fish of a lifetime...from Bussee no less!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19pm - Aug 12,17 
Musky Baits wrote:
harborman00 wrote:
Even if the muskie died I'm sure there's more in there, and I mean what can ya really do about it? ...

Bad rationale.
But to answer your question, simple;
I am having a bit of a hard time understanding exactly what happened on the boat, so I will guess at the information I have.
For the future, for anyone who hooks into a muskie with walleye or bass gear , you want to hammer down the drag and either drag that beauty to the boat ,hoping your gear holds and you don't get a break off, or , what will most likely happen is you get a break off...and the nice 38" gets to be caught by someone else.

If there is a muskie sized net on the boat and the goal is to land the fish and return it back in a healthy state , then another answer to " what can you do about it " is you again drag her in as fast as possible. Next you net the fish, *** keeping it in the water ***, outside the gunnels of the boat. The fish is then controlled by something along the lines of a Boga or the like so you can get the hooks out and untangle any mess . All the time the fish is in the water and only had a short fight.
Next, if you want pics, make it quick and revive the fish that has only been out of the water a very short period of time and only had a very short fight and thus has no lactic acid build up to speak of.

That pretty much sums up what we can do to make sure these alphas live to fight another day.
Either break them off if you are not prepared and simply 'luck' into one on light gear or be prepared with correct line ,leader, rod ,reel, net, pliers, Bogas and cutters. A bump board to keep them off the carpet when measuring is nice also, but not a must.

Amen brother!

Tell people this every day and just get blank stares from people that are too stupid, lazy, and/or cheap to go Musky fishing with the appropriate gear...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:06pm - Aug 20,17 
I really did not intend for the post to be a "debate" on Musky catch and release. She caught the Musky on Bass tackle as many Musky are caught this way. Water temps were 75 and chances are the Musky survived. I did call the DNR and the fish was caught on the south pool(which they do not stock). DNR has had a few reports of musky caught on south pool and they make it over the damn on high water. If you guys want to start a debate on Musky catch and release, start a thread but thanks for the input.

Board index » Lakes » Preserve Lakes
Jump to: