Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:37pm - Jan 9,20 
I've been enjoying casting for spring coho from shore the last few years, but I'm continually missing hooksets - or losing them during the fight.

Any tips on how to get them to either commit more intently on the bite, or what types of presentations allow for higher catch rate? thinking about sharpening hooks, but i've seen a lot of followers too that i'd like to put in my freezer.

What's the most efficient bait/lure/presentation for spring coho from shore?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:50pm - Jan 9,20 
Nightcrawlers or minnows work for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:50pm - Jan 9,20 
There are several factors in play. First thing that comes to mind is that you might be using lousy terminal tackle on the business end of things. Are you changing out stock hooks on your hard baits? Are you running quality hooks with your bait setups?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Jan 9,20 
Night crawlers or one to two inch pieces of squid work well. A white twister tail tipped with squid works well too. Quick erratic retrieve is usually best. In spring they have the feed bag on, but often hit short. I'd suggest a trailer hook added to the crawler and squid under a float. It will increase your catch ratio, no doubt.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:22am - Jan 10,20 
Also make sure you’re using a flexible “soft” rod. I like a fiberglass tralite rod. Set the drag loose too. They do a lot of twisting and turning and they have delicate little mouth’s so biting them gently helps in getting them in the net .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:52pm - Jan 10,20 
The Great One wrote:
There are several factors in play. First thing that comes to mind is that you might be using lousy terminal tackle on the business end of things. Are you changing out stock hooks on your hard baits? Are you running quality hooks with your bait setups?

I typically use artificial only. I buy the generic Bass Pro brand jigs and add a Mr. Twister 3" grub (white). Sometimes I'll add a piece of squid or immature cured skein from the previous harvest.

I have not tried changing out stock hooks on hard baits (spoons, rapalas, rattletraps, etc.)

What is the best brand of hooks to use, if I were to switch them?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:53pm - Jan 10,20 
Tom wrote:
Night crawlers or one to two inch pieces of squid work well. A white twister tail tipped with squid works well too. Quick erratic retrieve is usually best. In spring they have the feed bag on, but often hit short. I'd suggest a trailer hook added to the crawler and squid under a float. It will increase your catch ratio, no doubt.

Tom

I've tried the trailer hook thing on the jig with squid - I think it messes up the action of the twister tail a little too much, or the trailer hooks i've been using were too big/wrong color (red) - either way, they seem to be more shy of it and it makes for extra mess once they are in the net and start freaking out!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:54pm - Jan 10,20 
blackjaw wrote:
Also make sure you’re using a flexible “soft” rod. I like a fiberglass tralite rod. Set the drag loose too. They do a lot of twisting and turning and they have delicate little mouth’s so biting them gently helps in getting them in the net .

Maybe i'll try brining my panfish rod this Spring - will be a fun fight anyways.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Jan 10,20 
ogrecharger wrote:
The Great One wrote:

I typically use artificial only. I buy the generic Bass Pro brand jigs and add a Mr. Twister 3" grub (white). Sometimes I'll add a piece of squid or immature cured skein from the previous harvest.

I have not tried changing out stock hooks on hard baits (spoons, rapalas, rattletraps, etc.)

What is the best brand of hooks to use, if I were to switch them?

On my hard baits I run mainly Gamakatsu with Mustad and Owner in the mix as well. It's not a straight up answer because sometimes changing from manufacturer A to B can change the action of a lure due to hook weight (wire gauge) and the simple fact that A's #4 may be slightly different in size from B's #4.

BPS jigs use a garbage Eagle Claw hook and probably have some oxidation going on from sitting on a shelf in a store and/or warehouse. They are straight garbage and a likely factor as to why you aren't getting solid penetration. Owner and Gamakatsu are much better alternatives.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:03am - Jan 11,20 
Short hits? Try a little more speed. It works when the Hoes are fussy.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:47pm - Jan 13,20 
Hard to go wrong with anything orange or white. 3-inch white twisters, orange hot n tot's, jointed j-11's, cleos, minnows under a float or power line. They put the feed bag on in the spring and will hit a variety of baits within their size range.
Cohos are notorious for spitting the hook with their head shakes and wrapping up in the line. I stick with gamakatsu hooks, light line, and loose drag. Too tight of drag is gonna rip the hook right out of their mouth from the head shakes and softer mouthes at a younger age.

AJ

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: