Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:44am - Oct 2,18 
Fished Indiana the first part of last week and Jackson Harbor the last part of the week up until Sunday. I caught 4 Coho in Indiana on a black jig. The fish were 20 inches, 26 inches, 28 inches, and 31 inches. I did not see any kings in Indiana due to us now seeing the reality of the stocking cutbacks. So I figured Jackson Harbor was my best shot at a king. I saw many jumping but no hits. I fished mainly the afternoon which is not the best time. I used spawn on the bottom, spawn on a bobber, jigs, hot n tots, and a flicker shad. I would fish about 3 hours and go home. On the last day I had a steelhead or a real silver king come in and hit my spawn. The water was real clear. I watched the fish come in and circle and then figure 8 the spawn before taking it in. I set the hook and missed it. It came back 2 more times doing the same thing. I missed all 3 times. I guess I am that bad lol. I estimate the fish to have been around 14 lbs. So I guess that was my only shot. Not much bang for the buck as far as two licenses lol. It is what it is. It was great o be out in the city fishing again. I enjoyed it a lot. I also got to meet one of our guys here from the site and we met up at the harbor one day. Was a great trip!

31 Inch Male Coho

Assortment of Coho

28 Inch Female Coho

Jackson Harbor

Fillet

Bagged fillet

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21pm - Oct 2,18 
Nice catch. Have not seen anyone get four in one outing since spring. Also, I like your choice of tackle. I still use a vintage (not old) Mitchell 300 paired with a 8 foot Shakespeare "Coho Special" Wonderod on the lakefront and I prefer the 300 to a Shimano Stradic CI-4 I have. I believe I have a rod similar to yours. Is it a Sears Ted Williams spinning rod?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:49pm - Oct 2,18 
Way2slay em Jay, you never disappoint :respect

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:52am - Oct 3,18 
Nice Jay! Glad to see you enjoying those Mitchell 300's.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:58am - Oct 4,18 
For how many times I went fishing on the trip I didn't do too well. Many days I didn't get anything. I usually went out in 2 or 3 hour stints. The good thing about fishing in the city is that it is close and there are other things to do if you don't tire yourself out from fishing. Also, city fishing is cleaner than creek fishing lol. With kings being more in Illinois harbors than Indiana creeks I will probably focus on Chicago harbors in the up coming years. Whether I have to keep living in Florida or if I am able to move back that's the plan. Thanks again Ed for the reels. I do use them and they landed the fish in the pictures. It seems the longer I fish the more older my rods look. Oh, and Joe H; I'm not sure what kind of rod that is. I've had it a long time. I either haven't taken the time to look at read the handle or it is worn away where I can't see it. I mostly fish with Eagle Claws. I liked the feather light 6 ft 6 a lot with aluminum guides. I also like the water eagle series by Eagle Claw. Lastly, they have just come out with a new series called crafted glass. They are very nice rods. I had an 11 footer I think and it got pulled in off the pier by a king mackerel or a pelican flying into the line. I was conveniently in the bathroom when this happened and every story I hear was different from the many people around.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Oct 4,18 
Thanks for the info Blackjaw. I will go with my guess of a Sears Ted Williams rod. The Eagle Claw rods I've seen have all been a brighter yellow with black trim on the windings. I have several Ted Williams rods which I break out occasionally and they are all the same gold color rod with brown windings and gold foil under the windings. I am going to miss Sears if they go under. I've always found them to have a good product for the $$. My first good quality rod and reel came from them, although it was just a Sears and not the top of the line Ted Williams product. It still took me a couple of weeks to save my allowance and afford it. Unfortunately, they no longer have such an extensive line of sporting goods. I do miss thumbing their Christmas Wish Book and the sporting goods section of the big catalog.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:00pm - Oct 6,18 
Jay, one of these times you’re going to have to get in touch with me when you’re in town. I got in the old time machine this week and went to one of your favorite old spots, probably your favorite or at least the original. The old wooden pier was actually producing kings midweek this week. Cranks at night, hoping for a skein bite when the temps drop, but for now there’s just fish mulling around in the back harbor. MC pier and Trail gave up a few at the beginning of September, but nothing since about the 15th for me. I expect a fun fall and winter steelhead season with the quality of the fish we had this summer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59am - Oct 8,18 
John,

Son of a .......the old wooden pier is where I caught my first king! Darn it! That's one of the few places I didn't go. I should have gone there for old times sake!

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: