Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Oct 11,17 
At least on the east side: https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LM/043.html

Readings of MC and St. Joseph have dropped 11 degrees overnight. With this rain and continued cool nights, Skunky will be working the surf in Michigan this Sunday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:58am - Oct 11,17 
Just got home from MC. Fished inner harbor, pier, and lower river. River is up a couple of feet, dirty, and still rising. Saw just a couple of fish porpoise below the weir and 2 dark fish washed back down over the damn. Inner harbor was full of debris, nothing jumping or rolling. Lake was very rough with ocassional wave crashing over the pier. Saw one zombie coho cruising the wall and missed a small brown that hit right at the wall. Few carp and shad splashing around in just inside the piers. Overall not a very good morning. But, I'm off tommorow and working 12's Fri-Sun so I'll be back out somewhere in the morning. May try some upper areas of the creeks and or try the harbor again with some bait to float or bottom fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - Oct 11,17 
Thanks for the report! I'm interested to hear how you do Friday or Saturday.

I'm torn between the surf and berrien springs dam -- it seems I always overthink things during the 'tweener season we're in right now and go with the wrong choice. Looks like the readout at the dam is about 10 degrees higher than the mouth, so maybe all this rain and cooling will only encourage them to stage until it drops another 5 degrees or so on the streams?

And it's good to hear reports of zombies. Figure the egg bite should really start taking off once the fish DO enter the system...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59am - Oct 12,17 
I would definitely go to Berrien Springs based on reports I've heard. Or up by South Bend, thousands of fish stacked up there

It's not actually a flip... you must have been looking at bottom temps. Top 30 feet of the water column in MC and St Joe is still in the 60s. I don't really start getting excited about surf fishing until its in the low 50s

I stopped by Trail Creek yesterday afternoon and didn't even see a fish moving, which was surprising after the rain

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59am - Oct 12,17 
Thanks. That's where I was leaning toward. I don't think that buoy's reading the bottom temp, though -- bottom temps wouldn't drop > 10 degrees in one day, would they? Honest question. Unless maybe there's a really strong current.

Also, that same report was reading out at 72 degrees a couple weeks ago, which seems way too warm for the bottom.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:15am - Oct 12,17 
Oh bottom temps definitely dropped, cold water moved in. Just not a long enough easterly wind to get the whole water column to flip and get some nice cold water on the surface

Although to tell you the truth, the temp has started dropping more on the buoy even in the last coupla hours since my previous post...now it's at 58. If that continues to drop, tonight and tomorrow might be worth checking out the pier in MC or SJ (can't think it will last until the weekend though given the wind forecast)

And the buoy has temp readings every 3 feet, top to bottom

http://glbuoys.glos.us/45170

http://glbuoys.glos.us/45026

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:16am - Oct 12,17 
Skunk, not sure where you're getting the temps, but bottom temps usually change way faster than surface. The cold water is heavier and the change is caused by the warm water floating on top being pushed off shore. Trail creek is very quiet today so far. I started in the harbor this morning and just a lot of shad moving around. Only fish I saw caught was a small Laker on a crank, very surprised to see that. Trail dropped over a foot last night and is clearing up, but I only saw 1 sterile and 1 coho while I was eating breakfast at the weir. For temps google uglos buoy and you should get the site for the top to bottom strings off MC and St Joe. They will pull them for the season so though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:16am - Oct 12,17 
Awesome info. Thanks man!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:19am - Oct 12,17 
Oh, and the temps I pulled were from the USGS marine forecast site, which always includes a readout for both MC and SJ. But it doesn't say which buoy readout it's grabbing that data from. Looks like it's not the surface temp, I guess.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Oct 12,17 
The forecasts usually use the bottom temp measured at water intake cribs

Like southshore said, the buoys are pulled for the season sometime in the near future. Whereas the bottom temp reading at the water intakes is all year round

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:51am - Oct 13,17 
I took the bait and drove out to Berrien after lunch yesterday. Total ghost town. Nothing in the ladder, had the place to myself for a while. Couple black salmon rolling in the froth below the dam. Couple other guys and 2 boats showed up later in the afternoon couple small walleye on jigs and a rockbass was all I saw caught between about 2 and 6:30. I didn't bring a thermometer but the water felt very warm. I drifted skein concentrating on the deepest seems I could reach and never had a bite, figured I could at least score a catfish. I'm sure there's fish in the cooler feeders and probably stacked up in Mishawaka.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:02am - Oct 13,17 
I feel at fault for wasting your gas and time. A fillet with your name on it if I luck out in Indiana on Sunday!

Maybe the front that's pushing through Saturday night will do the trick in the lower reaches...then again, 75 degrees over the next two days ain't gonna help matters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03am - Oct 13,17 
Also, I'm sorry for the lesson in never listening to my hunches/rationalizations of what the fishies are doing. I'm notoriously bad at calling these things.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: