Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:17am - Apr 19,17 
Just a quick shout to see if anyone has really done much good shore casting for coho? I've been out probably 10-12 times so far this year and so far have caught a lot more brown's than coho. Not a fan of browns so get tossed back, but only managed 2 coho casting so far. Most times I've spoken with others and they are in the same boat as far as not much luck.

Just seeing if it's just timing/bad luck or just been another bad year for shore-bound fishing? I've heard a few good days of powerliners up at Montrose, but even that seems to have been pretty bad this spring. I've fished from 31st to Montrose, multiple places in between... just none of the usual spots are producing. Usually a 2-3 hour trip would produce some kind of action or every other trip would result in a fish. This year i'm rocking about a 1 fish for every 15-20 hours of fishing average.

Hopefully they haven't really shown up yet for some reason, or i'm just naive and don't want to hear the bad news and signs that catching coho's is past and gone!

Brown's on the hand... banner year!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:59pm - Apr 19,17 
I mostly rocked the powerlining this year, but did some casting as well. I would have to agree with you, from what I've seen out there not a stellar year on the lake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:54pm - Apr 19,17 
I've done a fair amount of powerlining on the northside so far this year and it's been a pretty poor year for coho from shore. My friends and I have taken a lot more browns than coho this year. I'm thinking it's another down year for silver from shore.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:43pm - Apr 20,17 
Thanks for the info, that's kind of what I figured. Hopefully we can get a push of alewives near shore like we had 2 years ago and bring the coho in. Gonna try going out again this evening for a few hours and see if anything has changed... doubt it though :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:34pm - Apr 20,17 
Another 4 hours tonight, another skunk. Just don't get it...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:14am - Apr 21,17 
Getting too late in the season. I'm not sure what time you fish, but at this time of year I would focus on the first two hours of daylight, cast the horseshoe with something that gets out far like a cast master in silver or orange.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:54am - Apr 21,17 
Bad year for shore coho. Water is bordering on too warm to hold them near shore now, plus a lot of them are out deep feeding on shrimp

When the water temps were good, we had nasty water, high winds, floods, etc. At least in Indiana. Only had a coupla good weeks for them from shore, then it was done

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19am - Apr 21,17 
Any idea how long the browns with be around for?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:28am - Apr 21,17 
from what i have heard, browns are getting tougher to catch as well... i personally haven't tried in the last week though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30am - Apr 21,17 
I usually fish from about 4-5pm till close to dark hoping to get the evening bite during the week. Either way, i think i'm gonna turn in my coho gear for bass gear from here on out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:56pm - Apr 28,17 
Only one coho for me so far, one lake trout, a few steelhead, and a whole bunch of browns.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Shore Fishing the Big Pond
Jump to: