Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57am - Jun 5,17 
Took my nephew out for a day of fishing. The plan was to start at Heidecke till 10am then swing over to the river with the goal of catching as many fish as possible.

Got to Heidecke at open and first spot we fished is usually a fish factory but nothing was biting so we moved on instead of making a second pass. It was good idea because we got into fish almost right away at the next spot. First fish was one of many of these buggers.

Not long after my Newphew got his first fish of the day which had him pretty excited - he would come to learn about drum..

Picked up a nice walleye

Newphew got a smallie

And a striper

All the fish were mixed in together, no real pattern for a species you just had to be in the right area. We kept making passes and it was steady action, mixed in some top waters and plastics which got fish as well. My nephew got to see a huge smallmouth blow up on a top water and knock it up into the rip rap. The spectacle of the spook spinning up in the air against the backdrop of the rising sun was almost as good as hooking the fish. More boats showed up and the bite got tougher as it will on Heidecke so we changed spots and got into some nice smallmouth top water action, first 3 cast brought 3 fish so we thought we might have something. Troller cut down in front of us tight to shore and trolled the whole stretch we were going to fish so we decided to pull up since it was getting near 10am head for the river for the second half of the day.

Illinois River - Morris

Got to the river around 11am after stopping for snacks and lunch. You will noticed I switched hats, always keep a spare cause you never know when your hat will end up in the water :)

River was somehow still very dirty, by now it should be clearing up. Lot of wood and debris downstream but got better once we got closer to the dam so maybe they had flushed the wickets the night before in anticipation of rain that was forecasted. Current and level where almost perfect. Started in some spots well down stream of the dam and got some stripers, largemouth, and smallies but many more bumps and swipes than hooks up, almost like they could hear the bait but couldn't see it clear enough to strike. Got this pleasant surprise, one of the darkest saugers I've seen.

Moved to another spot that had drum and some smallies. My nephew was starting to get "drum".

From there moved up into the raceway of the dam. We got mostly drum, a couple smallies and had a very nice catfish break off. I also caught a buzz..

(not until I got home :) )

My nephew hooks into a nice fish, "It's fighting like a walleye" - its a drum. Gets another fish "it's fighting like a smallie" - its a drum. Finally my nephew says, "Drum fight like the fish you want to catch, then you see its a drum and its a let down" - pretty much sums up drum.

About 2pm it time to head in. We caught just about every game fish there was minus a few exceptions, but overall great day on the water and look forward to doing it again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Jun 6,17 
Way to put the hurt on them fishes :gpost sounds like a real blast.

Did we get weeds by the rip rap yet ?

Mind the anchor :D

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 07:41pm - Jun 6,17 
Nice job. I should have followed you to the river sat. Lol

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09pm - Jun 6,17 
Very nicely done and a great report!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:21pm - Jun 7,17 
Thanks - it was a fun trip lot of action. Moss/Slime still isn't too bad on the rip rap some fish were so far in up in the rocks they were almost on shore while others where out on the first drop. After this string of 90° days that will probably change, enjoy it while you can I guess cause the summer suck will be here soon :)

John - you should have as its only going to get better, but then again its green and brown fish who rule this time of year down there.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 04:41pm - Jun 8,17 
Green ones, I'm not going to the dark side. Now the brown one sound like fun. Sunday we had a outstanding day.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:41pm - Jun 9,17 
I did a reserve split trip last night at the river from 9pm-10:30pm, got a 19" & 23" walleye and a 10lb catfish :shock that catfish destroyed the flicker shad. River was low and slow, but somehow still dirty. Fish were not very active, had to retrive very slow and just tick the bottom in current neck downs right off the rocks for both walleye bites. Mosquitoes chewed me alive.

Got out to Heidecke this AM on water at 6:30am - first pass no bites so change to a more natural lure that had less flash and that was the ticket. Got 3 walleye, 5 drum and 6 smallies. Didn't expect the wind and it was at the right angle to make the drifts go faster than I like. They actually had the green flag out which I've never seen :crazy

Good luck this weekend, looking hot, windy, and rough but someone will get them :winker

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to: