Author
Search for:
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 07:51pm - May 8,17 
Tough day with the temps down to 53. Managed a few fish but it was tough for my boat. Afternoon bite picked up alittle with the blubird skies.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:43am - May 9,17 
No better Monday John,water up to 55 a few nice Crappie and 1 Striper in afternoon
But a slow tough bite. Only fished south pool but still nice to get out without the high winds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22am - May 9,17 
Radar wrote:
No better Monday John,water up to 55 a few nice Crappie and 1 Striper in afternoon
But a slow tough bite. Only fished south pool but still nice to get out without the high winds.

Good to see the water temps coming back up. I was out this past Saturday and I had 51-52.8 depending on which graph I was looking at. Was 51.2 on my front graph, which is down a little deeper with the ducer on the bottom of my trolling motor, and 52.5 or so in most places on the console where the ducer is on the transom.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14pm - May 9,17 
I was out on Monday and we caught a few white bass and a few drum. There was a bass tournament for the high school on Monday as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:52pm - May 10,17 
I am curious as to why you guys would pick heidecke to fish last weekend with known falling water temps. Not bashing, don't get me wrong. Braidwood and lassale are much more stable during a spring cold front. I fished both lakes and did very well. Unless you were specifically targeting walleye and crappie but your chances were not great given the known conditions.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:44pm - May 10,17 
For me I fish Heidecke because I target walleye this time of year and its when you get the big fish coming off of spawn(plus bonus muskie).

I fished on Sunday and did just fine - didn't catch any huge walleye but got legals which is always the goal to get a limit(released all), also caught 8 smallmouth which was very unusual for me at Heidecke and a nice bonus. My buddy texted me a picture same day of his limit of 12"+ crappie he seems to get every time. I had to adjust and change up what I was doing and fish way slower and lighter than I normally would this time of year. I think the biggest factor to the bite when the water temp goes south and you have bluebird sky is once the sun gets high and the boats start running around the bigger fish go negative and get really tight to structure which makes it hard fishing. On weekends I'm off by noon.

LaSalle lake was closed Sunday - winds were over 10mph

Braidwood is a bass/bluegill/catfish lake and not what I'm targeting this time of year

River was flooded

Process of elimination left Heidecke or staying home - pretty easy choice :bigyuck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02pm - May 10,17 
DITTO
I would quit fishing if I had to go to braidwood or lost al.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56pm - May 10,17 
I fish Heidecke because it forces me to be a better fisherman.
You learn to deal with Wind.......can be friend or foe...... fish the wind, especially when Trolling or casting to shore.
Learn to find fish without escaping to a nice quiet creek arm filled with standing timber and buck brush, or finding a classic weed edge with points and inside turns. As you know there are none on Heidecke.
Learn to use your electronics for without them you're fishing blind.
Learn to be a multi-species angler or go home empty.
Learn to fish around 100 plus other boats and still be successful.
and most of all....learn to be humbled.

Best of luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39am - May 11,17 
ToddM wrote:
I am curious as to why you guys would pick heidecke to fish last weekend with known falling water temps. Not bashing, don't get me wrong. Braidwood and lassale are much more stable during a spring cold front. I fished both lakes and did very well. Unless you were specifically targeting walleye and crappie but your chances were not great given the known conditions.

Like others have said, and you even said yourself. I'm targeting walleye and crappie this time of year. If I wanted to catch cats or bass, I'd pick one of those two. But I wasn't.
Either way, even if I only catch a few fish, at least I'm on the water.

And nice post there Gary. Very well said, and lots of truth to all of it.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:14am - May 11,17 
Theboy160 wrote:
There was a bass tournament for the high school on Monday as well.
Results

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:31am - May 11,17 
Just curious thinking about going tomorrow to heidecke with the weather how its been will crappie be shallow as of yet and or is better to wait a week when temps are up or should I go tomorrow. :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:32am - May 12,17 
Early

Always go whenever you can, I was finding the crappie deep. Believe that was due to the frequent cold rain, wind, and low water temps, but their biological clock is telling them to spawn. So the first nice warm sunny day may push them shallow to do their thing.
Last week my neighbor and I went out, and after launching we said hummm maybe we should have stayed home......20+ mile per hour winds out of the NE, cold and overcast. As it turned out it was one of our better days, about 30 crappie in 4 hours.

See you on the water.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30am - May 12,17 
Thanks for the reply Hopefully shore fishing goes well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56am - May 12,17 
Great responses and good discussion. I pretty much hit these lakes to enjoy a bent rod. I dont mind catching a drum. I have only been to braidwood twice and it was this year. The bass fishing is much better than i expected. I was under the impression about all this lake was good for anymore was small channel cats. I wish the state stocked florida strain or peacocks in there would make it interesting.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to: