Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:28pm - Jun 19,19 
Hi all-just moved to the Naperville area from south central Kansas. Been doing a lot of reading here to get some understanding of the local waters and prospects close to home base.

Love to fish for anything that bites but drifting for blues and chasing walleye are probably my favorites.

Was hoping to go try out Lasalle for blue cats in the next few weeks-does the water get too warm during the summer for the fish to be active? I know it’s got some really deep holes-drift the drop offs/ledges or the flats surrounding the big holes? I’ve been experimenting with planer boards drifting suspended baits-I suppose it all depends on what the sonar is telling me where the fish are at.

Also have 3 young kids who love to catch numbers-worms or leeches under bobber along riprap if just looking for numbers?

Heideke seems to be the closest for walleye, but are there cats in there? Just looking for numbers for the kids is all.

I have a 19’ deep v with full windshield-will I be able to fit under the bridge there? We’ve had a ton of rain in KS not sure if IL has got hammered like we did.

If I’m stuck on South side it looks like it’s just mainly flats not a lot of structure?

Thanks for any input!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:50pm - Jun 19,19 
The lake will have to be extremely low, 4ft+ lower than right now to get a windshield boat under the bridge. There are flats, shallow weeds, dropoffs, roadbeds on the south side. The bigger of the two sides. Plenty of people fish it knowing there is just one side to fish. Heidecke has a good population of nice sized channel cats in the 22-27" range.

On lassale Blues do well in the summer. Water does get hot. Thermocline is about 15ft. Trolling works well for them.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:49pm - Jun 19,19 
Catfishing is good at Shabbona too. Walleyes are going right now (June is typically best month for eyes)

Support Staff

Post Posted: 03:34pm - Jun 19,19 
Hmmmm, 19 foot deep V and planer boards? Have you ever fished for Salmon?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36pm - Jun 19,19 
braidwood also has good catfish and big blues also good numbers of largemouth bass !!! for the big blues there using cut up bluecills for bait !!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:03pm - Jun 19,19 
Thanks all for the replies. Good information to at least get started.

Coming from KS can’t say I’ve ever had the pleasure of trying for salmon-closest thing we have to them is the trout they stock every year in the community ponds! I wouldn’t have the first idea where to start with salmon on the big pond.

In KS for blue cats it’s cut shad or nothing that they’ll hit. Doesn’t sound like that’s the case at lasalle? Shad somewhat easy to come by there? I’m assuming docks/boat ramp area is where to find em?

And by trolling you mean trolling cranks? That’s wild to me catching cats on cranks, always been drifting cut bait-lots to learn!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:13pm - Jun 19,19 
Shabbona has a hp limit doesn’t it? I think the verado would be a tad over the 10 ho that I saw online. Can you still go fish it if you only use trolling motor and keep big motor out of the water?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:24pm - Jun 19,19 
tinyfisher wrote:
Hmmmm, 19 foot deep V and planer boards? Have you ever fished for Salmon?

I agree with Tiny. You're two and a half months away from some of the best inshore casting and trolling around on the Great lakes.

This was casting Waukegan last fall end of August Flickershad was the crank.....

The breakwall in the background is Waukegan Harbor.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24pm - Jun 19,19 
KSKAD wrote:
Shabbona has a hp limit doesn’t it? I think the verado would be a tad over the 10 ho that I saw online. Can you still go fish it if you only use trolling motor and keep big motor out of the water?

As far as I know yes.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53am - Jun 20,19 
Shab does have a HP limit, but you can definitely launch and fish that lake with your TM. I have in my boat many times. You can also use your big motor, at idle, to get around, and to power load/unload. The idle only is purely at your own risk, but I've heard from numerous people the DNR is not going to punish anyone for using the big motor at just idle to move around the lake. I've done it in my boat a couple times without issues, but the DNR wasn't there at the time, so I have no first-hand knowledge that this is true. Gonna ring Lakeside Bait and see if there's anything to that. It would be a game changer, honestly.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:09pm - Jun 30,19 
troll purple flicker shads at Lasalle you will get some blues

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to: