Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Jun 3,19 
Hit the lake yesterday and found the water as high as it has been all year. Another inch and we would not have made it under. Found the crappies right away and ended a couple short of a 2 man limit with all fish being in 9 ft or less. Then spent some time trolling where we caught probably a dozen short walleyes and the biggest surprise of the trip which was an 18” sauger. I have never seen or heard of a sauger coming out of that lake. Is this something that others have seen or is this a one off occurrence?

Was a beautiful day to be out and the water was 70 degrees everywhere we saw.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:01pm - Jun 3,19 
Where did you find the crappies. North side by island.?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:30pm - Jun 3,19 
I fish that lake I lot, and never come across any Sauger. The lake was pretty good yesterday with the light winds and clouds both the walleyes and crappies were good. Seems like a lot more small mouth this year as well a gobies, they seem to be everywhere.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31pm - Jun 3,19 
I only seen one boat on the other side yesterday. I tried like hell to get under the bridge, put the trolling motor down, took the hood off the outboard motor. Could get either get the trolling motor or the outboard under but not both. Will bring someone or a giant cooler full of water next visit.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48pm - Jun 3,19 
Ya wilbur, they were stacked up in a small spot toward that end of the lake. We got them in maybe a 50 yd by 50 yd area and they didn’t seem to be anywhere else. A couple came on plastics but most needed meat.

We scraped the trolling motor a little bit going under the bridge but made it. We were keeping pulling the plug and adding a little ballast as a Plan B, but ended up not needing it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:42pm - Jun 4,19 
Todd - Try a stack of 5 gal buckets, fill and dump. I have a quick release on the trolling motor which helps, and then place a sand bag on the bow to protect from impact.

Its nice to not have a gazllion boats around, other option is to get a fat fishing partner....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59am - Jun 5,19 
wall-i-king wrote:
Hit the lake yesterday and found the water as high as it has been all year. Another inch and we would not have made it under. Found the crappies right away and ended a couple short of a 2 man limit with all fish being in 9 ft or less. Then spent some time trolling where we caught probably a dozen short walleyes and the biggest surprise of the trip which was an 18” sauger. I have never seen or heard of a sauger coming out of that lake. Is this something that others have seen or is this a one off occurrence?

Was a beautiful day to be out and the water was 70 degrees everywhere we saw.

Friend of mine picked up a 19 inch sauger there last year. They're pretty uncommon, but I do hear/see of at least one being caught every year. My guess is the occasional sauger sneaks in with the walleye fingerlings they're stocking.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:00pm - Jun 5,19 
COULD THEY BE SAUGEYES ?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:52pm - Jun 5,19 
I've caught a total of one out there, and agreed they are rare. Could be saugeye, sauger, wouldn't know without pics and even then people would not agree.

I changed up boats, used to be able to get under no matter how high, now I'm stuck if it gets too high. River is high, Heidecke is high, went to Braidwood instead, glad I did had a blast and caught a ton of big bass, sometimes change is good.

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to: