Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:27pm - Apr 9,18 
Despite the continued cold weather and slow reports, decided to give Heidecke a shot on Sunday afternoon. Launched at around 10AM, water temps were around 41 - 42 degrees. Jigging and hopping blades at several of my favourite walleye spots did not produce. Then switched to trolling and bouncing cranks down the shoreline but still not a single sign of life on the lake. At about 12, I decided to pick up and shoot over to Braidwood to hunt for some hybrids.

My buddy met at the dock and we were pulling away from the southern launch ramps at around 1. The water temps ranged from around 68 - 70 degrees. Lots of boats were out that day for a bass tournament. Trolling cranks and throwing blades produced some really nice hybrids. We ended up landing several really nice ones in the low 20 to 23 inch range and were off the water slightly after 3.

On a related note, has the state officially suspended the hybrid stocking programs? If so, what an absolute shame. Nothing like chasing schools and seeing them in a feeding frenzy busting the surface on shad

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19am - Apr 10,18 
Yes, the hybrid stocking programs have been gone for a couple years now. There haven't been hybrids stocked since 2015, I think. May be 2016.

Profile WWW  

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 08:29am - Apr 10,18 
Only in Lasalle.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:47pm - Apr 10,18 
easy fix Catch and release.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:23pm - Apr 10,18 
While I do and hope most do as well, I read they are not capable of reproducing naturally (or have a very difficult time due to their eggs) and the long term populations are completely dependant on stocking

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:44pm - Apr 10,18 
The DNR is finally hiring again. The license plate fee did not go away. There are many open slots to be filled and a rule all retiree positions get filled. Right now they are down to 3 at the hatchery and that is only becuase the hatchery manager has postponed retirement until more people can be hired. In two weeks the illinois musky alliance meets with the dnr. I will ask if once there are enough people in the hatchery, will the resume the hybrid program. I hope they do it is a great bonus fish where stocked. I would like to see better management fo grow bigger fish through a higher size limit or slot.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:45pm - Apr 10,18 
Thanks for the report - was thinking a split trip on Sunday with river in Morris. Lets see what this couple days of warm weather and hopefully warm rain does to the lake, at this point a bite or two would be a major upgrade.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 05:00am - Apr 11,18 
I was looking to break out everything to get out this weekend but a look at the weather might put it on hold.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Board index » Lakes » Cooling Lakes
Jump to: