Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43pm - Apr 24,18 
All the videos I have watched show pedal powered yaks trolling the big pond. I have a Nucanoe Pursuit and am resisting a trolling motor or the new pedal drive. Any of you paddle for power while trolling for salmon? If no, how about jigging instead of trolling? I am new to this, so be gentle.....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:15am - Apr 26,18 
I paddled for 3 years before I finally picked up a Hobie. I caught a lot of fish paddling but I would never go back to it now that I have pedals. Do yourself the favor and get the pedals. you wont regret it. There are opportunities to jig or cast for trout and salmon but if you want to consistently catch fish through out the year trolling is very important.

Rob

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35am - Apr 26,18 
I just got a Flint this year and have been paddle trolling behind Adler and in the harbors 6 times so far this season. I have two rod holders mounted to the freedom track in the front. It's definitely doable and relatively pain-free once you get your set up dialed in, but there are definitely some drawbacks that have me considering getting a paddle drive when they come out for the Flint later this summer, or just mounting a trolling motor on the back:

1) If you're running two lines and hook up on one, you're obviously loosing all forward momentum and your other line will sink to the bottom and quickly becomes a tangle hazard.
2) Optimal setup to avoid hitting your poles with your paddle (for me at least) entails having your rod holders positioned just outside of arm's length from your seat. With our NuCanoes, stability isn't an issue, so this means I usually just move up a few feet from my seat (paddling from the hull) when releasing my lines, then scoot back once I'm down.
3) It can be a bit of a fire drill when you get a hit, stowing your paddle and then scooting up to grab your rod. My Flint makes that somewhat easier since it has an integrated paddle holder in the handle next to the seat. But I don't think your Pursuit has that option? A leash is definitely a great idea...

All of those issues are null if you are hands-free. But it's also pretty cool to haul up a big silver fish using rudimentary technology.

How are you liking your Pursuit so far?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35am - Apr 26,18 
I just got a Flint this year and have been paddle trolling behind Adler and in the harbors 6 times so far this season. I have two rod holders mounted to the freedom track in the front. It's definitely doable and relatively pain-free once you get your set up dialed in, but there are definitely some drawbacks that have me considering getting a paddle drive when they come out for the Flint later this summer, or just mounting a trolling motor on the back:

1) If you're running two lines and hook up on one, you're obviously loosing all forward momentum and your other line will sink to the bottom and quickly becomes a tangle hazard.
2) Optimal setup to avoid hitting your poles with your paddle (for me at least) entails having your rod holders positioned just outside of arm's length from your seat. With our NuCanoes, stability isn't an issue, so this means I usually just move up a few feet from my seat (paddling from the hull) when releasing my lines, then scoot back once I'm down.
3) It can be a bit of a fire drill when you get a hit, stowing your paddle and then scooting up to grab your rod. My Flint makes that somewhat easier since it has an integrated paddle holder in the handle next to the seat. But I don't think your Pursuit has that option? A leash is definitely a great idea...

All of those issues are null if you are hands-free. But it's also pretty cool to haul up a big silver fish using rudimentary technology.

How are you liking your Pursuit so far?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09am - Apr 30,18 
I love the Pursuit for duck hunting. Cuts a chop better than a Frontier 12. The Frontier is a beast, but also a barge. I also went to a pull behind set up for my decoy bag, too much like a sail sitting on the yak deck. The Pursuit is great in a river. I am 6'3" and 250+, so the stability sold me. I don't have a 360 seat, so I beach at the sandbars and fish while wading. Haven't been in the big lake, yet.

I am thinking of a Frontier 12 for the wife and I to use instead of a canoe. Just for lazy days. The other option is 2 Flints. I'll be anxious to hear how you like yours.

Grady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:48pm - Apr 30,18 
My experiences are pretty consistent with any feedback you see online from the NuCanoe community. It's not as massive as the Frontier 12 and isn't nearly as large of a platform, but what you lose in that you make up for in paddle-ability. The thing tracks like a champ and is really responsive. Have had no problem staying on a line in steady 10 mph+ headwinds and a big chop. And it's relatively light weight, so not an issue for me to load by myself on top of my XTerra.

While I've had no issues with stability, it's definitely not on the same level as your Pursuit or the Frontier 12 in that regard. My weekends in May are stacked up with commitments, but I'll be back out on the water in early June and would be happy to meet up somewhere if you want to give my Flint a test run. Just shoot me a DM when the time gets closer...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49pm - May 2,18 
Thanks! Mid June sounds great. I'll PM as we get closer.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Kayak & Canoes - Fishing with Stealth
Jump to: