Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:31pm - Apr 24,17 
Fellow Anglers,

I am thinking of buying a fishing kayak, but have no idea where to start. I know that a good number of LM anglers troll the harbors in the fall in fishing kayaks, and I would love to try this. Any suggestions on what kayak to think of and where I can find one for a fair price (used or new, doesn't matter to me)? I would like a kayak that is stable and safe enough to troll/cast in and around the harbors in the big pond, but also one that would be great for fishing inland lakes and rivers. Any help would be appreciated! :thanks

- Will M

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - Apr 25,17 
Budget?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:03pm - Apr 25,17 
Cheaper the better. No more than $1,000. What would you say the average price for a good quality one is?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Apr 25,17 
$1000 or less will get you PLENTY of good options. what it WONT get you is a peddle driven Kayak....those are a lot more expensive. Once again, I would STRONGLY encourage you buy used if possible. Be patient and wait for something you want to pop up on this site or craigslist. You will save a ton of money if you buy used, and you'll be able to get a better yak for less money. DO YOUR RESEARCH....there are tons of options. go on to the websites for some of the better kayak brands and see what they offer and what makes them better than others. If you find something that you like, start looking on craigslist and see if you can find one a few years old for 1/2 the price.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:35am - Apr 26,17 
Check out Rocktown's "Used" list - I see only one here just under a thousand, but there are some great boats under $1200 - Wilderness Systems Tarpon, WS Ride, Jackson Cuda 12,.. : http://www.rocktownadventures.com/produ ... dlesports/

Here's a few more - new - and you could go up and test paddle first - Pescador Pro12 $829 Tarpon 120 $939 Native 14.5 $999, Native Slayer 12 $999,... http://www.rutabaga.com/Fishing-Kayaks_c_35-1-1.html

A paddle-specific store like one of these can really answer a lot of your question too.

Last edited by Howard Sprague on 08:59am - Apr 26,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:44am - Apr 26,17 
so you just missed a killer sale at dicks. they had 20% off one item going and I tried it on several kayaks and it worked. Kinda makes me sick because I bought a Perception Pescador Pro 12 for full retail when I could have saved over $160 had I just waited a few weeks. I've had the boat out twice on SMALL water and it was awesome. Lots to get used to vs. fishing from a boat but I think with the more hours on the water the more I'll figure out what is needed vs. what is wanted.

If you want to go super high end then I agree with Rocktown's inventory. If you don't want to break the bank then wait for a sale or like everyone said try used. Have patience. Don't be like Bill. Bill wasted $160. LOL

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45am - Apr 27,17 
If you really plan to troll, you should know its much more challenging to do out of a paddle kayak then a peddle. Not impossible at all but certainly way more moving parts involved and so being new to it, it's something to take your time to learn how to set lines while trying paddle etc etc. Just thought I should mention it now so you can factor that into your decisions. As most have said, you can usually find good ones used if you search around. Otherwise a new one at the 1k price point will give you plenty of solid options to get you on the water.

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Tackle Box » Kayak & Canoes - Fishing with Stealth
Jump to: