Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:23am - Dec 23,16 
congrats on selling the yak.

How much should I budget to rig out a stock version of the same yak to the same level?

thx

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:28am - Dec 23,16 
Following this thread. Gonna pick up a PA14 in the spring.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:17pm - Dec 29,16 
The pictures show a pretty basic setup. Figure about $50 a piece for the Ram stuff and $200ish for a rudder. Sky's the limit if you want to go crazy. My Big Rig came with a set of the Ram Bazooka tubes and a rod holder, so I didn't have to get those. I figure I've got roughly another $750 - $800 into it with a Helix 5 SI, Ram depth finder mount, battery, anchor trolleys, crate, and cart. Keep in mind that I built the cart from PVC and a broken stoller, found the crate and armed it with garage sale rod holders, and bought the battery at another garage sale.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:32pm - Dec 29,16 
jayw wrote:
congrats on selling the yak.

How much should I budget to rig out a stock version of the same yak to the same level?

thx

At least $700-$1000 for rigging is what I'd say is a very modest estimate. That's based on what I added. This is all dependent on what a person needs vs. want's on their kayak. Some guys keep it bare bones and others like to trick them out. The biggest single purchase comes from the fish finder which is usually a few hundred dollars but then all the gear tracs, anchor trolley, upgraded rudder, adapter for rod holders to mount to gear tracs, and so many other things all add up quick. I did additional mods for camera rigging which also adds to the cost. Just really depends on what you NEED to have vs. what you'd LIKE to have on it. If you have the money, go for it.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:15pm - Jan 2,17 
Get creative brutha. Search up ideas on you tube and be frugal about it. I would never buy that scotty gear, it is way overpriced and so many better alternatives. I mounted a treated lumber piece on my yak which alloyed me to mount my BPS rod holders to. The rod ho;ders are cheap but I have had them on for 4 seasons now with lots of trolling. I'd say I got my $20.00 worth out of them.
I recommend getting the down imaging on the depth finder. Sorry, I do not have or recommend a cheap alternative fpr the depth finder.
My Anchor trolly cost me about $5.00. I just mounted plastic D rings at each end a bought a stainless ring from the hardware store then just get the right sized rope.
Milk crate and some 1 1/2" PVC gets your gear situated.
I would pst some pics but have found that a pain. PM me and I will text you some ideas.
I also put a cheap BPS light in it with some zip ties to the crate.
Found my wheels for the cart at the flea market and built that out of PVC, threaded rod and pipe insulation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:58pm - Jan 2,17 
I agree with the input provided above.

In terms of money the big ticket item when rigging out is electronics... if you wish to, you can spend a lot on a gps/sonar, map chips, handheld VHF safety radio, "spot" or epirb safety communications, gopro and other cameras. In contrast, rod holders and a milk crate isn't too big of a deal.

There is a pretty awesome amount of kayak rigging info out there on the internet, and a little digging will get you anything you want. A lot of people seem to really enjoy rigging out the yak almost as much as using it.

My advice would be to start small... rig the basics, use the yak in the way you intend to fish, and then add what you feel is missing over time. It's a lot like camping or lures... after you are dialed in and know what you really need, you can travel light but still have everything important. With a small craft you can fill it up with too much hardware pretty easily and thereby give up the advantages you started with (light weight, simple, easy to launch and unlaunch, cheap, reliable).

I found one of the better value upgrades in my setup to be an inflatable seat pad (much more comfortable), and also Velcro strips under the seat giving more secure attachment to the hull so the seat doesn't move once it's in place. Those adds were about $25 and 8 oz, and they are definitely worth the effort.

Gerry

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:27pm - Jan 18,17 
I agree with the posts here on being frugal..I picked up a 12' lifetime tamarack angler for $299 new then began the mods.. BPs for 12 nylon tie down clips and made my own anchor trolley with them and black Paracord..Removed original rod holder and replaced with one on each side that came with a thing to lock my rods in holder. Removed the 2 flush mounted rod holders behind seat and turned them 90 degrees so rods are angled to sides not rear for trolling. Bought a milk crate and 2" PVC at Menards and made my own rod storage with it. And bought folding 3 pound anchor and fish finder at Walmart.. about $500 invested so far and all I need is my battery and paddle.. I am guessing $700 when finished.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Jan 19,17 
I fish my kayak pretty bare pretty much just rod holders, but #1 item I recommend if your going to be fishing lake Michigan is a decent portable vhf radio. plans can change real quick on lm with a yak.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Kayak & Canoes - Fishing with Stealth
Jump to: