Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Feb 21,16 
I have been busy getting ready for the "2016" season that's for sure.
I know it is still a couple of months away for those of us with IO /or Inboards. Plus the fact that, even though I have the boat on a trailer, it is not considered trailerable.

The line on the rods have been replaced and the reels have been checked to make sure all is good. I built a couple of new rods this year to have multiple set-ups when one particular lead-core or copper-line seems to be working better than the others.

The "2016" Fly's were completed today and the table has been cleared and the fly/flasher boxes are stacked and ready to load on the boat.
The last of the Fly's & Rigs have been made. :D
Stacked and ready.

The spoons have been sorted and placed in an orderly fashion.

I really tried to consolidated this year... :crazy
But, sometimes no matter how we plan things out, we end up with something different than we wanted... I did end up with 5 less containers this year and some lures will have to stay home in the closet until they are called upon! :lol:

I still have to get the boat ready... And that will take a few long Saturdays. Cleaning, mounting an Arch, adding Radar and looking into Auto-pilot still.
1st things first: Boat Arch, then mount the Radar and re-wire the Nav light and fishing lights off the back.

Good Luck to all (who are getting ready themselves)

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:35pm - Feb 21,16 
Nice Steve. Can't wait to see those young smiling faces at the weigh-ins again this year!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:59pm - Feb 21,16 
Ron,
I know they are ready to try out some of the new items. After I showed them what I was making, they kept asking questions about when we will have the 1st tournament. We have to play against the "Whole Lot" of boats this year, which is a tall order after watching the results of the past few years.
No more "Rookie Boat" status for us! :wink:

I have to up "My Game" this year, that's for sure!

Here is a reminder from last year!
Our Big 3 winning catch! :D

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:15am - Feb 22,16 
Hi Steve,
Where are you getting your arch? What electronics did you go for?

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:28am - Feb 22,16 
rodm wrote:
Hi Steve,
Where are you getting your arch? What electronics did you go for?

Rodm,
After reviewing both Atlantic Towers and Fish on Sports Arch's. I decided to go with the Fish on Sports.
I'm able to add more Rod Holders, Light Brackets and extra Net Holders and still be under what the Atlantic Tower cost for their standard unit.
All though I know Atlantic Towers are great units, I can put the difference in cost elsewhere.
I'm going with a "Used" - Raymarine C120 unit for a year or 2 for the Radar. Then I can upgrade to a different unit when I can save a few more buck.

Regards,

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:41am - Feb 22,16 
Fish on sports makes some nice stuff. I got 6 of the clamp on adjustable rod holders, net holder, led lights and brackets, very happy with qaulity. Post up some pictures when your done.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:48am - Feb 22,16 

Ah, the "Big Three"--- Then there's those nice fish also... That was an all around great day! :respect

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:37am - Feb 22,16 
rodm wrote:
Fish on sports makes some nice stuff. I got 6 of the clamp on adjustable rod holders, net holder, led lights and brackets, very happy with qaulity. Post up some pictures when your done.

I'm glad to hear you like their products. It looks nice on the boats that I've seen it on.
I will post a few pictures when I get it installed. I measured everything this past Saturday and looked over how I plan on rigging it all at our shop for mounting (installation).
Since I will be mounting it all myself, I'm setting up a rope and pulley system from the ceiling to hold it all in place so I can get the holes drilled and bolted into place.
Then I'll need to wire and connect everything and then, lower it all in the backend of the boat so I can get the boat out of the shop for the trip to the harbor. With an 11' high x 12' wide garage door, it takes a bit of jocking around and pulling down on the windshield slightly to get it in and out of the building.

The Grandkids aren't big enough yet to help out with this project.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:55pm - Feb 22,16 
Let me know when you're going to get started. I'll give you a hand if I'm not committed to doing something else.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:20pm - Feb 22,16 
rodm wrote:
Let me know when you're going to get started. I'll give you a hand if I'm not committed to doing something else.

I may just take you up on that offer. That is real nice of you.

Thanks!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Feb 22,16 
I was looking through my photos for the Big 3 caught on my 2015 fly's. My biggest Brown and Lake Trout caught mid-August along with a nice King caught the same weekend. They did happen while pre-fishing for the S.U. Open.
They brought back some nice memories of a great weekend on the water!
Hoping to match some of these Species and sizes, this coming season.
Nice Brown.

Nice Laker.

Nice King.

I need to put 3 just like these in the box on the same day! :lol:

It's fun to look back and enjoy the weekend one more time!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Feb 22,16 
I do not like double post!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:50pm - Feb 23,16 
Does anyone have the Raymarine EV-200 Power Hydraulic Evolution Autopilot?
If so, do you like it and does it hold well on breezy days and waves?
Is it worth getting the Wireless remote S100?

I think I've pretty much decided to go with Raymarine electronics now, so I'll be able to interconnect everything as I start the Electronics change over, one piece at a time.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:12am - Feb 24,16 
Hi Steve,
How's your steering set up? Hydraulic or power assisted cable? Our boats are similar and mine has the power assisted cable. The starboard engine has a steering pump like you see on a car. At the time (10 years ago +/-) I went with a Raytheon system that had an electric piston. Less expensive than upgrading to a hydraulic steering system, but not so great a choice in hindsight. Worked ok when cruising or trolling with starboard motor with pump. I'll be looking for a replacement soon and probably a hydraulic steering system too.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:26am - Feb 24,16 
rodm wrote:
Hi Steve,
How's your steering set up? Hydraulic or power assisted cable? Our boats are similar and mine has the power assisted cable. The starboard engine has a steering pump like you see on a car. At the time (10 years ago +/-) I went with a Raytheon system that had an electric piston. Less expensive than upgrading to a hydraulic steering system, but not so great a choice in hindsight. Worked ok when cruising or trolling with starboard motor with pump. I'll be looking for a replacement soon and probably a hydraulic steering system too.

Rod,
Same as yours, Power Assist Cable, with Starboard motor pump.
That is the issue I'm dealing with. I'm checking into Hydrualic steering which adds another part to the autopilot choice.
I'm not in a hurry, as of yet, cause I want to get it right the first time.
I may need to bring in my mechanic for assistance on this one. We shall see. I'm trying to handle it without his help, cause the more I learn and install myself, the better it is for me to be able to fix things later.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:05am - Feb 24,16 
What model are you going with on the arch? Are you getting the canvas top or just the arch. The FishOn products are great and the only product I've ever purchased that I have no complaints about. Wait.... I wish they had a dipsy rod holder and I wish they made a soft plastic/rubber cover for the rod holders. The fluted ends makes it impossible unless you dip them yourself. I've already called and talked with them about this. You will not be disappointed with this.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:08am - Feb 24,16 
FISHLIPS130 wrote:
What model are you going with on the arch? Are you getting the canvas top or just the arch. The FishOn products are great and the only product I've ever purchased that I have no complaints about. Wait.... I wish they had a dipsy rod holder and I wish they made a soft plastic/rubber cover for the rod holders. The fluted ends makes it impossible unless you dip them yourself. I've already called and talked with them about this. You will not be disappointed with this.

Mike,
I was thinking about the one with the canvas top... But, after taking a closer look at a few boats with that type on it, I don't like how the top is laced on.
So, I'm going with the Arch style only. I guess I could order a larger fabric top, then trim it down and sew the edges and add snaps to it (but, that alot of extra work & time)

Plus, the fact My Wife wants Autopilot for her Birthday 8)~ It will add to the total cost of everything, so the Arch only fits better for this years budget.
I guess she tired of me telling her "trun right", "turn right" every time while setting lines!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:36pm - Feb 24,16 
I have the one with the canvas only because my father-in-law is like a vampire and hates the sun. The lacing does the job, but I also am planning on doing a custom canvas top with some snaps . As stated , a lot of work, but what you're getting is gonna be perfect. Also, the canvas top gets tricky once you get that radar in the middle of it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:04pm - Feb 24,16 
Smokin Fish wrote:
I guess she tired of me telling her "trun right", "turn right" every time while setting lines!

:bigyuck :rotflmao :lol: I used to have the same issue with an x. She would look back over her left shoulder to watch - talk. She never let go or moved her hands, but the wheel always turned a bit to the left. She never understood what she was doing wrong and cost more to maintain than the boat, so I moved on and used the money I saved for the auto pilot. Glad you found yourself a keeper.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:42pm - Feb 24,16 
Rod,
That's awesome! :lol:

Yes, I would say she's a keeper... Plus, I'd probably get into more trouble if I brought her back to her parents (gave her back) :bigyuck
Also, she doesn't like to reel unless there is a triple on/ or a double (if we are fishing by ourselves) and she knows how to net the fish. In fact she is really good at netting!

I told her that I already have autopilot when she's driving. She said "Then your buying it for me"
I mean seriously, why would I argue about that statement... We get along so well... :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Clubs Forums » Salmon Unlimited Inc. Club Forum
Jump to: