Author
Search for:
Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:32am - May 26,13 
It’s funny sometimes how we fisherman are about all the things that can affect our days on the water The weather is so often our number one concern and what is it going to do to affect the fish and how are we going to adjust to the stuff that our Mother of Nature throws at us.

I had big plans for this birthday and was revving all up for a terrific redear outing. The moon was going full, the male fish have been fanning laden silt away from their last year’s bedrooms atop the gravel mounds. The females are heavily laden too and are about to drop their burden and we are so very set to get at em ; mm hm.

Who was the one who coined the phrase, “Always expect the unexpected”?
I’d guess it was probably some ancient Roman senator dude.
Nah….
It was that bitch of nature I’m telling ya, she’s been around since forever and has been screwing with us fisherman since we first crawled out of the sea, onto the beach, grew legs and spooled up our Nanfil.

Well, mess with me if she cares to, it’s still my birthday and I’m gonna have at it regardless of her acts and it is going to start well and we’re going to finish this day in absolute deafening mayhem I hope and pray.
So let us let it be.
Let’s go find us some sows and just mess with im a little....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - May 26,13 
Alrightee then Go get em Any!!!!!

:happy :hopping :hopping :hopping :happy :got1

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07am - May 26,13 
Happy Birthday Any Luc! Hang a few nice ones and treat yourself to the thrill of the hunt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:17am - May 26,13 
AnyLuc, A Happy Belated Birthday! :bday:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:35pm - May 26,13 
Happy birthday :bday: :allah

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:29pm - May 26,13 
Happy 75th to my favorite Packer/Red Wings Fan!!!!!!!! :winker :winker

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:37pm - May 26,13 
Right.
Let's keep those Deadwings right where we had them last night;
Dead on their feet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03pm - May 26,13 
Happy belated Birthday :bday: :bday:

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:20pm - May 26,13 
My fishing partner for the day called and said he couldn’t make it. Darn, now I’ll have to fish alone on my birthday. Ya know what? I almost always fish alone on my birthdays.
I’ll be fine with that even though I looked forward to fishing with him and his company would surely have made the day simply pleasurable all by itself.
Fact is, I like fishing alone and I’m a better fisherman when I fish alone.

When the alarm ticked at 4:00am I was up, showered and out the door in a blitz.
I don’t enhance things when fishing with angling acquaintances but when by myself, I can do whatever I like, right? So I grab a Mumford and Sons disk and Mary J and hit the road, the road to Mazonia State Fish and Wildlife Area, redear capital of Grundy County. I think it’s in Grundy County but can’t say exactly for certain but think so.

There normally is no music being played in the truck when fisherfolk are riding along, well for one reason I’ll say is, there ain’t many Chapin fans left in this world who I know of.

Somewhere down along 57 I noticed the mostly clouded over sky was slightly brightened. When I turned southwest onto Wilmington road this appeared in my mirror.

Oh boy, red sky at morning, sailors take warning. I thought Brent said it was going to stay south;
I am south, oh ….

The truck was really loud inside with Mumford on a nuts jam when…
What is this ahead, a pink tornado??

No, it’s an early morn’s rainbow; first seen in this stage of light before.
Wow;
I’m going fishing right under that rainbow.
This day is going to be a best ever day; I know it.

I’m first in, that’s good and not a redear has been messed with ahead of me.
The wind is ever so slight. The water temp is 67 degrees. Don’t know what it has been and there’s a bit of a drizzle a goin on. It stops as quickly as it started.

Is this perfect for pickin or what?
I hate the wind, especially when on a panfish seek-and-destroy.

The spoil piles are all plain chuck full of beds but the past two chilling nights have given cause for, whatever fish have made them, to abandon them. They are not crisp and clean. A couple days of silt is softening their bottoms and edges I’d say.

Looky, looky, looky.

It’s starting well and if the completely engulfed jig on the first two fish is an indication of what is in store, I’m in for a good-one.

The fish aren’t on the beds but they were real close by; the bluegills suspended off the humps …

and the redears cruising the new sandgrasses below.

When you hook a redear you know almost immediately. Unlike a bluegill that hits the bait hard and swims in unending circles on its way in, a redear often takes it softly and sometimes comes right along for moments but then that redear will bull up and take line at will off your spool while making his/her attempted escapes.

I fished meat and soft plastic for the redears, hoping for Mrs. Big.

For the bluegills, I kept a switch-up going.

If I dropped the Panther Martin down a ways I sometimes could snare a redear..

but more often the redears would take the slow falling soft plastic.

I can’t get over it….

I’m getting hit on cast after cast and each fish is taking the bait deep. I would later learn, this morning, Sunday morning, which this seemed to be the case all over. Fishalot fished the Kank and had an incredible day. Guys on Lake Michigan reported taking fish on no matter what they pulled for baits.

Where is the lure?

Again, where is the lure?

It is just how it went for me all the day long.
At some point during the day I received a text from my daughter’s husband asking how I felt the game would go; he was concerned. My reply;
“They will be fine,” I had no cluttering doubts, this day started in fine fashion, was carrying on the same and there was no reason for me to believe that the evening at the United Center would go any differently, in fact, I expected a game the likes we hadn’t witnessed all season against a team we all had wished to meet in this round.

It was getting increasingly difficult to give up the good thing but time was moving on I had more birthday to get at. I cast a few more casts and pulled in a couple piglets in a row.

As Dale would say;
It was time.

Of course you all know now how the rest of my birthday day went.
It was all that was expected and even more.
I hoped all the day long that my good fortune would last the whole day through, right up until the horn's final blast and by luc; it happened and ended just that way.
T’was one extraordinary day.
A day to remember.
Thank you, each of you.
Any

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:21pm - May 26,13 
Good job, what's the biggest redear you've caught? Mops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:03am - May 27,13 
Great report, excellent pics. Glad you had a great birthday!

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
LSS1
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 electric downriggers
2 High Seas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Chitown Bird Dog

Post Posted: 07:29am - May 27,13 
What a thing of beauty!! The pics, the tale, the whole day! Nice work, Sir!

Support Staff

Post Posted: 07:57am - May 27,13 
mops7 wrote:
Good job, what's the biggest redear you've caught? Mops

4 years ago, on the same day, May 25th, a Monday, I caught an 11 ½ inch redear while fishing alone.
When I returned to the landing a fella doing a creel survey asked how I did and I told him how the bite was, which was very good. He asked to see my fish but I don’t keep redears. He then told me of 3 guys who had been out on Saturday, the 23rd and said they had caught 14 inch bluegills. It threw me for such a loop that I drove the wrong direction to my birthday dinner and I arrived half an hour late.
I have since taken to the belief that those 14 inch bluegills must have been redears, which wouldn’t surprise me.
I saw that creel survey guy in the fall at the same lake again and questioned him about those 14 inch fish asking if he actually saw and measured them. He told me no but the guys who caught them were straight up anglers and that they were out there quite often. He described their boat and told me what kind of truck they drive and the color.
This past Saturday there was a like boat with 3 guys in it that came into the area where I was fishing and stayed the whole morning fishing the same type of water I was where I was getting fish after fish. They were not getting the same numbers but I could tell that they knew exactly what they were doing and at one point we got close and they asked what I was using. I told them and then I asked if they had caught any big fish, the reply floored me when they said that they had caught a couple 2 pounders early on nightcrawlers and gold hooks.
I thought that these must be the guys but didn’t question. When I returned to the landing and retrieved my truck, there was a pick-up truck next to mine that matched the description told to me by the creel survey guy.
I’ll have to keep trying and when I see them again, we’ll chat a bit..

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:07am - May 27,13 
Chas E. wrote:
What a thing of beauty!! The pics, the tale, the whole day! Nice work, Sir!
:D

Belated Happy Birthday Any. Looking forward to a 14 inch Redear... :D

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:48am - May 27,13 
One more tail I can add.
Normally I would let a tail of a non verified 14 inch bluegill just blow on by but what floored me about this was I knew that a 14 inch bluegill had just been caught and verified that very same Saturday past, May 23rd, 2009, by a lawyer fishing in a farm pond down state.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 11:07am - May 27,13 
:gpost

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:22pm - May 27,13 
Great camera work.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:38pm - May 27,13 
Great post Any, I was at my strip mine today but doing yardwork, didnt even put a line in.

Hey, if you like Mumford, you gotta check out The Giving Tree Band. They're local guys from Yorkville who play a blend of folk/country/bluegrass/rock and do it quite well. You can downloard their latest record from their facebook site or I'd be happy to burn/mail you some discs, just lemme know.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:46pm - May 27,13 
They sure did enjoy your birthday cake Mr.Luc.........

and left NO crumbs on the table as they all sucked it right down. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your celebration in style.

Quote:
One more tail I can add.
Normally I would let a tail of a non verified 14 inch bluegill just blow on by but what floored me about this was I knew that a 14 inch bluegill had just been caught and verified that very same Saturday past, May 23rd, 2009, by a lawyer fishing in a farm pond down state.

That lawyer must have been that blazovich fellow in his earlier years, and look where he ended up. Nuff said.

Not saying.....but just saying.

Happy birthday my friend.
wsj. 8)~

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:00pm - May 27,13 
ThunderStick wrote:
Hey, if you like Mumford, you gotta check out The Giving Tree Band.

Thanks Thunder,
I will.

---------------------------

Willy,
That sure is one absolutely gorgeous gill.
I gotta hear that tale.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Species Specific » Panfish Anyone.....
Jump to: