Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:16pm - Jun 15,20 
Ok, staying at home has caused me to re-read almost a 100 times the In-Fisherman magazines that grace the wall of the morning throne. I have almost 3 years back and have been reading about all those famous people touting their favorite panfish rod (crappie/blue gill for the sake of my question) and I think St.Croix is paying them well.

Now most here do not write for that quality magazine, but sure are no less experts in the field I believe. So my question is very simple.

What do you my fellow anglers say is the best rod for our quest in fighting those trophy fish?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:36pm - Jun 15,20 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Ok, staying at home has caused me to re-read almost a 100 times the In-Fisherman magazines that grace the wall of the morning throne. I have almost 3 years back and have been reading about all those famous people touting their favorite panfish rod (crappie/blue gill for the sake of my question) and I think St.Croix is paying them well.

Now most here do not write for that quality magazine, but sure are no less experts in the field I believe. So my question is very simple.

What do you my fellow anglers say is the best rod for our quest in fighting those trophy fish?

For me, it's the St. Croix panfish series, AINEC. I absolutely love that rod. Mine is the 7ft. Light, XF. And no, I'm not being paid by St. Croix. Would love it if they did pay me, though. :lol:

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:50pm - Jun 15,20 
Considering the species, I would go with the cane pole for those mighty fighters! :rotflmao
Just kidding Bill. I really like the BPS carbonlite rods for panfish.

Go Big Red!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:09pm - Jun 15,20 
I use a 7 ft Shakespeare micro spin ultra light that is like $16. I absolutely love it. Great action on it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:57pm - Jun 16,20 
St. Croix Legend Elite 7' Light Power, Fast Action

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:03pm - Jun 16,20 
Thanks for insight gentlemen.

I have to say really don't need another rod for those trophy gills/crappie. I switch up fishing rods, mostly jigs with a 6' light fenwick HMX and keep coming back to it. For many years and still today I have a drop shot rod made by the Berkley folks about 20 years ago ( got it at Ed Shirleys) and it's listed as a medium light, but fishes like a light rod, the tip is oh so sensitive and my heart would break should anything happen to that rod. The other that sees some use is a light action 6' St. Croix, premier, a fun rod for sure. Slip bobber rods are 7' and got a few 12' that seemed good at the time but to much work to build in the boat and all.

I was just dreaming a bit about those articles in the magazine and wondered if those St.Croix panfish specific rods would help me feel those crappie mouth a 1/80th oz jig down 25'. Well with Fathers day around the corner ya just never know............but then there's Mega Imaging, and new trolling motors that move you around the lake so you catch more, and, and, and .........my that wish list is long. :winker

Support Staff

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Jun 16,20 
I had my daughter, her husband and my grandson on the boat this past Sunday. I used a Jonny Finn custom for me. I handed off a ST Croix to my daughter, a St. Croix to my grandson and a Fenwick HMX to my son in law. The Jonny Finn is precious to me, crafted with love and by remarkable skills, I cherish it. Aside from our dear friend's piece, it's just Fenwick and ST. Croix makes in my rod locker.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:00am - Jun 17,20 
WSJ
St. Croix Avid is the rod I would purchase 7' 6" MLXF
Why ? I feel it's the best value ,quality versus price
Sensitivity , versatility are right up at the top of the list !
With that being said none of the rods listed above are wrong
or bad if used in the right application,I have used all of them
at some time this year, including a 12 ft. (graphite) cane pole
with a plastic ice reel taped to it ….fished with a fly its one of the
most fun ways to catch bluegills without injuring them during the spawn !
Mr.Luc,
I heard that Johnny Finn guy sucked up too much cork dust and now has
moved onto making bucktail jigs ! :winker

Last edited by Johnny Finn on 11:10am - Jun 17,20, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Jun 17,20 
my favorite panfish rod is a 15 or so year old ugly stik. !!!!! 4.8 ultra light one piece. that is the only non loomis or st croix in my arsenal besides my daughters imx pink gander mountain 6ft light

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40am - Jun 17,20 
I have to agree with PEZ on this one. St. Croix panfish series. As a testament to their quality, last night I was on the big H fishing some structure. One rod, slip bobber and nightcrawler hoping for walleye, smallies or stripers/whites/yellows. This was my panfish rod and in hindsight I should have known better. Other rod medium action, jighead and crawler or head/gulp combo. Well as I as messing around with the jig I scan the horizon for my bobber. Gone. Pick up the rod, load up and bam, I knew it was "on". Long story short - ultralight St. Croix Panfish rod, Shimano Sienna 1000 with 6# fireline. I was able to land a 6#6oz channel after a healthy battle.

Needless to say I have a lot of faith in STC rods.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:53pm - Jun 23,20 
billebob5 wrote:
I have to agree with PEZ on this one. St. Croix panfish series. As a testament to their quality, last night I was on the big H fishing some structure. One rod, slip bobber and nightcrawler hoping for walleye, smallies or stripers/whites/yellows. This was my panfish rod and in hindsight I should have known better. Other rod medium action, jighead and crawler or head/gulp combo. Well as I as messing around with the jig I scan the horizon for my bobber. Gone. Pick up the rod, load up and bam, I knew it was "on". Long story short - ultralight St. Croix Panfish rod, Shimano Sienna 1000 with 6# fireline. I was able to land a 6#6oz channel after a healthy battle.

Did you have the 6'9" model? I just wonder about those handles, they just don't look that comfortable to me with the knobs on the top. Most stores in the area do not carry that model and I have a very hard time making rod purchase online without the hands on wiggle factor.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:45am - Jun 24,20 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
billebob5 wrote:

Did you have the 6'9" model? I just wonder about those handles, they just don't look that comfortable to me with the knobs on the top. Most stores in the area do not carry that model and I have a very hard time making rod purchase online without the hands on wiggle factor.

Mine is actually the 5'4" Ultra Lite Fast action model. It was the last one they had on clearance when WaterWerks went out of business in Warrenville/Naperville off of Rt 59. I'll never forget that because the guy behind the counter joked with me that I was in there just cleaning out "the good stuff"..... well, yeah!

Board index » Species Specific » Panfish Anyone.....
Jump to: