Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06am - Mar 9,20 
Some of us have likely heard about the adventure park development going on at the Lemont Quarries. "The Forge" is scheduled to open this summer.

https://www.lemontquarries.com

In addition to climbing towers, zip line, amphitheater and trails, they'll be offering boat rentals and fishing. Seeing that these quarries are already open to the public for light boating and fishing, I'm curious if the existing open areas will now be accessed for a fee. The current status/accessibility of the land is this:

https://www.lemont.il.us/DocumentCenter ... ed-8-16-18

Perhaps nothing will change, but I get the impression is that the a large portion of the sight is being leased or will be accessed by membership and/or daily fees only.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30am - Mar 9,20 
Jaybo wrote:
Some of us have likely heard about the adventure park development going on at the Lemont Quarries. "The Forge" is scheduled to open this summer.

https://www.lemontquarries.com

In addition to climbing towers, zip line, amphitheater and trails, they'll be offering boat rentals and fishing. Seeing that these quarries are already open to the public for light boating and fishing, I'm curious if the existing open areas will now be accessed for a fee. The current status/accessibility of the land is this:

https://www.lemont.il.us/DocumentCenter ... ed-8-16-18

Perhaps nothing will change, but I get the impression is that the a large portion of the sight is being leased or will be accessed by membership and/or daily fees only.

Can anyone shed light on this?

I haven't read anything about boat rentals, where did you see that? The fishing is probably mentioned because you can fish the lakes already...

The park is being built on the south side of the I&M Canal, so I highly doubt you'll need a pass or need to pay to fish. There are two quarries that the park looks to be being built around them on the south side of the canal, from my trips there on the ice this winter. I don't foresee much of anything changing as far as fishing goes, other than it not being nearly as quiet as it used to be over there. I'm not thrilled about this, but I don't foresee my fishing being impacted too much, other than attracting a larger crowd of the bucket brigade. The park opening will hopefully mean visits from the DNR more often, though, with more people around there. I mean, it sucks, because a nature park now has giant steel structures scattered around it, instead of just being... nature, but I can't imagine they're going to start charging you to fish the lakes there. The three biggest ones aren't even near the new park.

That said, I'm honestly hoping that this ridiculous place crashes and burns hard. It's just a stupid idea, and the people in Lemont that are responsible for approving it all need to take a walk off a cliff. Let's just take a tranquil, serene, entirely nature-focused area, and add in all kinds of steel structures, concerts, beer garden, and thousands of people... yeah, good idea! Can't believe Lemont actually wanted to do it, and no one complained. Greed conquers all these days.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:11pm - Mar 9,20 
If you follow this link and scroll down to "Exhibit C" you'll see that marker #2 is slated for kayak and canoe rental.

https://www.lemont.il.us/759/The-Forge

It's been almost 20 years since I lived/fished in Lemont, and the quarries are much more accessible than they were back then. In short I'm looking for a place to launch my inflatable (one-man) pontoon boat, and it appears that it's allowed there. I hope the pan fishing is decent.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:44pm - Mar 9,20 
Jaybo wrote:
If you follow this link and scroll down to "Exhibit C" you'll see that marker #2 is slated for kayak and canoe rental.

https://www.lemont.il.us/759/The-Forge

It's been almost 20 years since I lived/fished in Lemont, and the quarries are much more accessible than they were back then. In short I'm looking for a place to launch my inflatable (one-man) pontoon boat, and it appears that it's allowed there. I hope the pan fishing is decent.

Boat rentals are different than kayak and canoe rentals. ;)

My guess is they'll have a designated quarry for it, or they'll be offering them on the I&M. The two quarries that the structures are being built around are Icebox and Quarry #1. The big ones on the north side of the I&M aren't anywhere near the park. But who knows. It was a stupid idea to build the ugly monstrosity there no matter what.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:34am - Mar 11,20 
What a great idea!
I cannot wait till they open, looks like sooo much fun!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:48am - Mar 11,20 
I contacted a representative of "The Forge" directly and this is the response I received:

"The park is indeed located on the grounds of The Heritage Quarries Recreation Area, but the Heritage Quarries Recreation Area will continue to be open and freely available to all members of the community after the park is open. Visitors will still be able to kayak, fish, and ride the trails for free with their own equipment.

Visitors to the area will also be able to freely access the open spaces where the adventure ropes course, towers, mountain biking skills tracks, kid's activity zone, and other fee-based activities are being built. Guests will only be charged for access to special events and programs (concerts, seasonal events, group classes), and activities requiring waivers (listed above)."

Profile WWW  

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: