Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:55pm - Feb 21,17 
I work downtown (don't especially like it) and often just take a walk at lunchtime. Looks like they've fixed up the riverwalk section along the Chicago River rather nicely. Kicking around the idea of bringing a telescopic rod and some plastic baits, keeping it in a small backpack at the office, and being the only "weirdo"at my work to go fishing during lunch. Looks like pretty decent water access along Wacker between Lake and LaSalle St . Anyone tried this area? Opinions? (If I hated my bosses, which I don't, I'd consider bringing a fish back to my desk and cleaning it, ala Peter in "Office Space" :) )

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:48pm - Feb 21,17 
I say go for it. I love fishing on lunch.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:25pm - Feb 21,17 
I work at Wacker and LaSalle right on the river and often go on walks during lunch as well. I've seen a couple of guys fishing mini mites for crappie, gills, and the occasional smallmouth. Really whatever bites I believe, but I've never fished it myself. They are usually fishing the new river walk structure under the bridges against the wall between Lasalle & State I've also heard McDonalds French fries work well for carp on a bottom rig. Let me know if you decide to throw some casts, I've been thinking of bringing a rig as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:53pm - Feb 21,17 
I also work near LaSalle and the river and have gone several times after work fishing with small jigs. I have caught bluegill, crappie, rock bass and small bass. In the 5-6 times I've gone I don't think I've been skunked and I don't think I have caught anything over 10 inches. During the summer, if you pick the area between Clark and Dearborn, you can buy a beer at the little riverfront bar and legally enjoy a beverage while fishing, which is really the best of both worlds!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31pm - Mar 7,17 
Well, I gave it a shot today for 30-40 minutes at lunchtime. Started under the Franklin bridge, tried first with a small, subtle green/yellow jig, and made my way down towards the Lake St bridge. Nothing happening, tied on a white Rooster Tail, casted awhile and worked my way back toward Franklin. Tried against the walls, structure, etc.. Then I left because it was time to get back to work,...but mainly because I really needed to take a leak. (Sure is a lot of crap in the river!)
Nothing today, doesn't mean I won't try again next week!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:26pm - Mar 7,17 
There is a guide, called Pat Harrison outdoors. He specializes in fishing the river, most every day. I don't know if he gets any giants, but I know he does very well out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:40pm - Mar 7,17 
Dang...... Ur hardcore dude.... Wind was brutal... Later mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:12pm - Mar 16,17 
Lots of people seem to be catching some nice smallies in that area so its worth a try.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - Mar 23,17 
Think I'll give it a shot tomorrow at lunchtime, if I get up in time & remember to bring my stuff to work. Warming up, rain coming in evening,.. sounds alright to me.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:23pm - Mar 27,17 
I work in the City and fish during lunch. I've caught 14 species of fish from the river. Best combo for me has been 1/16 oz. orange jig with a 2" gulp minnow. Good luck. Fishing will improve when water gets warmer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:05am - Mar 28,17 
Thanks! Went out Friday and tried for awhile, nothing. Tons of people walking around, felt kinda weird for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:09pm - Apr 17,17 
I used to fish up and down the riverwalk before all the construction. Ive caught white bass, small mouth, large mouth, crappie and bluegill. Even got a walleye and northern out of there. I tried when construction was going on but did not have much luck as the water was always pretty mucked up. I plan to get back out there in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know how I do. The structure that used to be in those bridge corners has changed due to the construction so I don't know what to expect.

FAT

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - Apr 18,17 
They put up a building across from my work and I cant get to the river now(I could but its not easy like it was). Near lake street bridge, I have gotten largemouth tine smallmouth and some panfish. I only went 5-6 times though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - Apr 18,17 
We should have a downtown workers lunch time meet up :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42am - Apr 18,17 
Good idea!
This week's out for me, but I hope to get back there in the next couple weeks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:05pm - Apr 18,17 
I'm always down catching catfish in front of the riverwalk. PM me if you fancy an invite.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39am - Apr 19,17 
I fished the river walk around state st for a few hours yesterday morning. I used a small panfish jig and plastic and was only catching perch and small ones at that. It was an overall slow day... I think in 2 more weeks it will turn on for bass and panfish just need the water to warm up a little bit but hey if u guys like catching small perch all day then then the rivers good for that rightnow

Board index » Rivers » Around Chitown
Jump to: