Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:48am - Aug 11,19 
Went out to a little more than 100 FOW after checking a few times for marks on the way out.
Started by checking the thermocline and found it to be similar to last week between 40 and 50 down.
Set out 3 yellow birds, 1 flat line, 3 downriggers and 2 slide divers.
Used combinations that worked last week including Bloody Nose, Wonder Bread Blue Dolphin and Monkey Puke.
Also used the same Flounder Pounder on the slide diver.

Radio traffic was interesting with some having fish and a lot looking.

Checked the thermocline and found it to be the same as last weekend between 40 and 50 down.

We only had hits on the slide diver with the Flounder Pounder…

8:00 – Hit and Miss, gone before we got hands on the rod
8:30 – Hit and Miss, 130 FOW (see video)
8:45 – Small Coho, 120 FOW (see video) released, heard on the radio about other small Coho’s being caught
9:15 – Steelhead, 135 FOW (see video) this one wasn’t getting away, had all 3 barbs imbedded5

Speed at the ball for fish hitting was between 2.4 to 2.8.

We marked fish in the 120 to 150 range, just south of the line all morning.
Tried changing lures, speeds, etc.

There were some significant currents in the area saw speeds at the ball from 0 to 3.2 mph.

Last week we had 12+ followers on the video, with sometimes 2 fish on the prowl.
One segment of the followers it the same as last week.
One interesting segment was the dink Coho which just came and crushed the lure that
was about 1/4th its length.
The following video is cut from three 20 minute segments of the mornings videos.

Heard on the radio of someone else with a Water Wolf having a Steelhead possibly on video.
Hope it came out OK….

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:44pm - Aug 11,19 
I experienced the same last night with the currents out in 200fow. Very tough to keep a steady speed. At times it would drop from 2.2 down to 0.9, then jump up to 2.9 with just a 100rpm increase on my 150 outboard. Only bites I could get were on spoons and I figured my paddles and dodgers just weren't running right with all the speed fluctuations because the fish have prefered dodgers and flies all year for me.

Thanks for the report and video!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07pm - Aug 11,19 
Thanks for the report and video, was cool watching the fish hit and follow

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:58pm - Aug 11,19 
The video is cool!

You are right about the small cohos. We got 4 on regular and magnum glow spoons early in the morning between 60 and 70 feet of water. We got the 5th late in the morning in 105 feet of water. All 5 were 12 inches or less. I've never seen anything like that before.

Besides that we got an 8 pound steelhead on a full core with a magnum flounder pounder and lost a nice king on a NBK flasher and bullfrog fly. No mature cohos at all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:28am - Aug 12,19 
same story for me. Was out solo & only brought back one 4lb coho for the day. It was on a 10core w/ mag flounder pounder as I was setting lines first thing.

I had a downrigger at 50 most of the morning - and it was absolutely CAKED in spiny fleas every time I brought it up. Didn't have that on my other lines which were deeper.

Only really saw marks near the 160's, my graph was pretty empty most of the morning. I only went out to 180

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:51am - Aug 12,19 
TyeeII wrote:
Very tough to keep a steady speed. At times it would drop from 2.2 down to 0.9, then jump up to 2.9 with just a 100rpm increase on my 150 outboard.

To your point about the currents, the speed change probably had more to do with a change in angle than RPM.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:47pm - Aug 13,19 
Like the videos. Always wondered what was going on down there.

A charter captain I went out with a couple times many years ago would almost shut it down then kick it up to get the followers to do something. That was back in the day of LORAN.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:13pm - Aug 13,19 
WalleyeRanger wrote:
TyeeII wrote:
Very tough to keep a steady speed. At times it would drop from 2.2 down to 0.9, then jump up to 2.9 with just a 100rpm increase on my 150 outboard.

To your point about the currents, the speed change probably had more to do with a change in angle than RPM.

If you mean trolling angle I don't think so. I was running a straight line in autopilot. Even when running lazy S turns I've never experienced such radical speed fluctuations.

If you mean the angle of the current changing, that was one of my thoughts but I actually think the current went higher in the water column in the places I experienced the radical speed fluctuations. Or perhaps a localized upwelling?

Either way it's great food for thought!

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: