Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:50pm - Jan 24,19 
Hi All
I found a boat I liked but did not act quick enough, so back to the drawing board. May I ask for your thoughts - I know its somewhat personal but I will ask anyway. The boat I found was clean as a whistle. I would have paid a bit of a premium for it but it did not have exactly all I wanted. The question - should I buy a cheap boat, repower and refit or pay up for one that is clean, freshwater, low hours and over time get it to where I want?

Thanks Guys - stay warm

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:25pm - Jan 24,19 
I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. No matter what you will be customizing to your taste. Do the math as best you can on what a boat would need and make sure you get a good survey. Personally I think it’s extremely difficult to find any good fishing layouts outside of saltwater.

It so happens that my all time favorite boat is currently for sale.

http://www.spenceryachtsinc.com/uploads/for_sale/1519929409-c80246e8379368b67/87Spencer2014_paulspencer.pdf

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Jan 25,19 
Steelhead,
I couldn't agree more! Perfect for those cold mornings fishing eye's on the Illinois!

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:03pm - Jan 25,19 
It all depends on whats available. Also is this your first big boat because if it is there is a decent chance once you get it you may decide you want something else in which case any money you put in will be lost.

If your goal is to repower then don't stop with just the motors. The electrical should all be redone as well and if you are redoing the electrical there is no need to not consider a saltwater boat and I wouldnt discount a saltwater boat anyway. Inboard saltwater boats are low priced because unless you are going to a big sportfisher everyone is going to outboards.

Also keep in mind many boats that went away in the fall in perfect working order can have a laundry list of unexpected repairs in the spring and there is no way to check for Rot on a frozen boat so need to be contingent of a survey.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:25pm - Jan 25,19 
Thanks guys - much appreciated - some things I have not thought of - Steelhead, I do not like that boat, ugly color...

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:44am - Jan 26,19 
You should let people know what you are looking for. Most of the boats around here never hit the market. Most go through word of mouth around the docks.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15am - Jan 29,19 
Are you just looking for a Lake Michigan boat or an all around boat to trailer to inland lakes also? then that opens up a whole new world on what boats to look at. I love my 21 footer, can hit a bass tournament in the morning then hit Michigan after the weigh in of course depending on waves.

Then you have to look at what features you want, electronics, deck space, width, gunnel height, motor options, do you want a kicker motor or just troll with the main engine, you also have rod mounting options.

Like everybody else here has said it really boils down to how you are going to use the boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:06pm - Jan 30,19 
I have an old 24 foot 1990 bayliner 2459 that I bought cheap to "cut my teeth" on the lake.I can easily handle it by myself. I actually love the boat but it needs a lot of work. I would personally prefer to do this since I tend to end up on lake by myself most of the time and I like that type of work although, I would need a lot of help. I have just "retired" so I need something to do ASAP. Recently my wife, of all people, suggested that I upgrade,(she hates the bayliner). I am looking at 26/30 foot boats with low hours and in good shape - the unicorns. I have seen a few and they are generally expensive, usually hovering around the top end of my $ range or a bit higher. They all have some of what I want but none have all that I want, which keeps bringing me back to rehabbing the 2459. I completely understand that I will not get back a fraction of what I put into it but that is not a consideration. I am only looking for a Lake Michigan style boat, possibly something that I could tow to another big lake or possibly south for the winter - I have had it with this polar nonsense....

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:10pm - Jan 30,19 
I do not know if any of you have ever seen this bit it is awesome.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-re ... som-repair

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: