Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23pm - Feb 13,19 
Here is something to talk about.
If you could only have 1 spoon in your tackle box
For king salmon WHAT WOULD IT BE? Color and size?
All year round spoon!

I would have to decide between blue dolfin or nbk in standard size
Milan

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:38pm - Feb 13,19 
Without a doubt or hesitation, a standard Fishlander "Hey Baby" on the SWR rod. I still have a few brand new ones, still in the package, but every year the "used" ones get more and more dinged up. Eventually, I'll have to try another brand. The Warrior "Hey Babe" looks pretty good...

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:22am - Feb 14,19 
Stinger UV mixed veggies on a full core has been a solid king producer for us

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31am - Feb 14,19 
I love this thread.

Red headed caramel dolphin by Stinger has been my top performing lure for three years running on any type of fish. I find that it does equally well on silver and lakers. It's discontinued but you can still find them on Ebay from time to time (if I don't buy out the stock first)!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:39am - Feb 14,19 
One spoon ...

While many come to mind as 'starters' in my lineup. And others have come and gone as former starters for a season or couple, the standard stinger NBK is probably the MVS as steady producer for both kings and other species every season.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:07am - Feb 14,19 

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:43am - Feb 14,19 
Silver worm i am surprised you still have one Ron my best spoon for kings has always been a carmel dolphin stinger spoon or a nightcrawler from moonshine never leave the dock with out one

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:41pm - Feb 14,19 
Good question I am not good at catching kings so now I know what to run this year. Every trip out has a Moonshine RV hold out standard size some where in the water column.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:13pm - Feb 14,19 
Fishlander Mag Blueberry Muffin.

Why not add flashers into the mix? Over all if I were searching for Kings, it's tough to beat an NBK Flasher with a Green Hypnotist fly on a wire set up. Meat rig would need to be put in the spread too.

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:58pm - Feb 14,19 
Tom wrote:
Why not add flashers into the mix? Over all if I were searching for Kings, it's tough to beat an NBK Flasher with a Green Hypnotist fly on a wire set up. Meat rig would need to be put in the spread too.

Tom

I was gonna say the same thing but his question was if you could only have 1 spoon what would it be. It would make a good topic for a seperate thread though...these topics are always good to ease the cabin fever we Salmon fishermen experience this time of year. Thanks Milan!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:02pm - Feb 14,19 
JAWZON wrote:
Silver worm i am surprised you still have one Ron my best spoon for kings has always been a carmel dolphin stinger spoon or a nightcrawler from moonshine never leave the dock with out one

Only a couple left in the package Jim, and several with the paint chewed off them that still catch fish. I guess since Moonshine refuses to make them, I will have to find someone to repaint my chewed up blanks pretty soon :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54am - Feb 15,19 
Would one spoon transcend the whole lake????? We start in Indiana waters in the spring and work our way north to Door county by midsummer to fall...Normally we fish from sun rise to noon...... Sunny days,,, cloudy days...... Maybe that is a question to ask..... On a cloudy day what is your go to spoon>>>>>..... Sunny days???????????? Spring???? summer???? fall???? What is your target temperature that you want your spoon t o run??????????

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:52am - Feb 15,19 
I’m curious about what brands more than which colors. If you’re paying attention to the spoon blanks, they use different gauge metals, curvature, shape, and size. You hear a lot of guys talking about spoons with no paint left catching fish. For me it seems like stingers and pro kings are the most consistent spoons on the boat. I’m guessing there’s more to it than personal preference in terms of which brands work best under different circumstances. If your running a mixed spread do some sizes or brands run better at different speeds?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:12am - Feb 15,19 
I like this -

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:17am - Feb 15,19 
The real answer is that the Warrior VooDoo was the best King spoon last year by far. 250 - 450 copper/Lead combos

I will be showing the new Warrior Flutter XL's (between the Standard and the flutter and about the same size but thicker and tougher than Stingers) and covering the 2018 season at Lake Michigan Angler and at Trollers Unlimited in the next few weeks. Stay tuned for dates.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:09pm - Feb 15,19 
Mag Flounder Pounder :allah on 10 color, year in and year out catches kings from Waukegan to Door County, plus my dad refuses to give up this rod to anyone on the boat :D

www.facebook.com/SUIllinois

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:44am - Feb 16,19 
The best one? I'd have to go back little. When I started I heard about her. When we meet she caught my eye. We went out and had a lot of fun. She would always get attention from the big boys. She had lost some paint and was a little bent up in the short time we were together. I was a little worried. One day I even said....maybe I should take this one home to stay. I decided not to. Best to live life to it fullest, But then one day when we were out and I was hold on to her tight. It happened. That sinking feeling. I turned to Dan and said....She's gone. He asked...Maggie K ? Yes my Maggie K. (Magnum Kevorkian). Tried others but they just weren't the same. Something special about Maggie. So today I have moved on to the Streak Sisters. I kinda like the younger cousin Caramel UV.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: