Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:50pm - Dec 2,19 
Hey all. It has been 4 or 5 years since fishing on the big pond. I'm ready to start gearing up for next season. I lost everything in a fire, and am trying to re-learn techniques, spreads, etc. I would love it if you guys could put down a few of your favorite spoon colors/sizes, flasher/fly combos, etc.

I remember using white flasher and LBB fly a lot. In regards to spoons, I used to run dolphin, bloody nose, flounder pounder, orange for steel. I never used meat rigs much. Is this something I should look into learning?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:02am - Dec 3,19 
Stop in a Lake Michigan Angler - they will set you up!

Keating is going to have seminars there in a month or so. I've gone in the past and think he does a great job. I really think he could help you out.

Lure choice changes so much year to year, that it makes it hard to recommend anything now. The only lures that seem to work every year for me seem to be <1> baby spin doctors (orange / red / yellow/ mixes of these colors) with 2 inch flies - mainly coho and steelhead; <2> 8 inch uv hot spot white crushed ice 4 inch howie frog fly - kings & everything; <3> 11 inch hotspot white crushed ice front / prism back 4 inch frog fly or spin n glo - mostly lakers, but also kings & coho. Other than these, who knows? It changes every day.

I guess I am assuming you are fishing May to Sept in the Illinois / Wisconsin state line area. Recommendations would be different if you are thinking spring in Indiana or some other time / place

Green Machine

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 07:16am - Dec 3,19 
It changes year to year so its really hard to say. The staples 5 years ago are a good starting point. I probably use more smaller spoons then the mags. The coho 00 orange dodger I have been able to run deep into the summer the last 3 years with 2" flys.

Lake trout are a big target now. Spin and glow setups with a 2" fly. Monkey puke is a good to spoon for lakers.

Last year was a big year for flashers/dodgers.

Microlead is a good cross between copper and lead core and easier to deal with then both.

There are a lot of new choices for colors but dont get to hung up on them. Stick to what you know and branch off from there. I like to have a lot of a few spoons then a few of a lot of spoons.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:55am - Dec 3,19 
John S wrote:

Keating is going to have seminars there in a month or so. I've gone in the past and think he does a great job. I really think he could help you out.

Lure choice changes so much year to year, that it makes it hard to recommend anything now. The only lures that seem to work every year for me seem to be <1> baby spin doctors (orange / red / yellow/ mixes of these colors) with 2 inch flies - mainly coho and steelhead; <2> 8 inch uv hot spot white crushed ice 4 inch howie frog fly - kings & everything; <3> 11 inch hotspot white crushed ice front / prism back 4 inch frog fly or spin n glo - mostly lakers, but also kings & coho. Other than these, who knows? It changes every day.

I guess I am assuming you are fishing May to Sept in the Illinois / Wisconsin state line area. Recommendations would be different if you are thinking spring in Indiana or some other time / place

I couldn't agree more with everything here! Especially that 8 inch uv hot spot white crushed ice with a 4in Howie frog fly! Thanks again for that one John ;)

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:11am - Dec 3,19 
Musselhead. Meat. Rigs. Stack em and pack em

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:04pm - Dec 3,19 
John pretty much nailed it. Some baits will work for one season and never again while others will be productive for several years. And some seem to work on one boat, but not another. I haven't finished going thru my logbook yet, but in 2019, here are a few of my best:

1. Fishlander "Hey Baby" on an SWR rigger
2. "Natural Born Killer" eChip flasher & "Green Hypnotist" fly on a wire dipsy
3. Green/Chrome Spin Doctor & "Frog" fly on a 200' copper
4. Regular and UV SeaQuest "Carol" spoon. Not sure what SeaQuest actually calls it, but it is 1/2 blue glitter tape and 1/2 yellow glitter tape. We call her Carol.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Jerry
Runnin' Bare

My Blog - The Runnin’ Bare Chronicles

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:54am - Dec 4,19 
bass1388 wrote:
John S wrote:

I couldn't agree more with everything here! Especially that 8 inch uv hot spot white crushed ice with a 4in Howie frog fly! Thanks again for that one John ;)

Yup no problem...advice you can take to the bank! :D

Green Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:59am - Dec 4,19 
If you like to coho fish in the spring (MAY-JUNE ), the one setup that works year in and year out for me, is a 00 8 inch orange dodger ,
with assorted small 2" flys, ie: silver/green , silver/blue , all silver ,and tiny (Peanut) black ones, when the flys hatch on lake ! Troll this setup behind a yellow bird and you will catch coho no problem ! I prefer tinsel flies for silver colors, and tiny(Peanut) black hair fly during bug hatch on lake. I like to put that tiny black hair fly way out on my farthest outside yellowbird , especially on calm days when i know steelies are in the area, chasing bugs on surface ! If you can find them , i like to use the 00 8 inch dodger that is bent on both ends , i think their called B&B dodgers ? When the coho are running a little deeper down, these dodgers are heavier and will get down without adding additional weight in front of dodger , and without using a downrigger ! There u have it . Good Luck <(((<

FYI: Don't forget to attend the Dr Tanner seminar at the Thornwood Restaurant in Itasca on Dec. 10 at 630 pm !
Dr. Tanner started this whole new billion $ industry , with his idea of stocking Lake Michigan with salmon back in the
1960's ! Have your questions ready :fisch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13am - Dec 4,19 
When you guys are talking about the 8" UV White Crushed Ice flasher, do you mean:

HS852 Hot Spot Flasher 8 inch - UV Crushed Jellyfish White Blade

Made with UV reflective material.

As seen on the LMA page: http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/store ... 8_inch.htm

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:45pm - Dec 4,19 
Here is the 8 inch'r. Pretty basic but it works!

Green Machine

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:47pm - Dec 4,19 
Here's the best baby spin doctor for me from last year

Green Machine

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Dec 4,19 
The 11 inch....

I am not sure if this is a Hot Spot or something else. Rob at LMA would be able to tell you. Or Frank. But Rob is the guy who picked it out for me.

Green Machine

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Dec 4,19 
Found this gem digging through my fish pics. This thing was hot hot hot for about a month last summer.

Warrior mixed veggie.

But then it died and never really came back. So who knows if it will be any good next year

Green Machine

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:51am - Dec 5,19 
John S wrote:
Found this gem digging through my fish pics. This thing was hot hot hot for about a month last summer.

Warrior mixed veggie.

But then it died and never really came back. So who knows if it will be any good next year

This is one of those examples of a spoon being good on one boat and not the other! I prefished Pass the Passion with John last year and on his boat this spoon was killing it that day. So i went and bought 2.... We couldn't get a bite on it the next day, when John was still getting bites on it!

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: